Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2020, 12:48   #1

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft
Problem with connecting Simrad Halo 20

Hello,

I have a new Halo 20 and can't find any sign of it on the OpenCPN screen. The boat is at the dock with the mast lowered, but I sure thought I'd see some indication.

Using a Plugable Network Adapter Ethernet to USB A, and tested the adapter at home ethernet so know it works. When connected and Radar On, the Line light is ON and the ACT light flickers on the ethernet port on adapter.

I'm not familiar with the NEMA code for the radar feed, so am showing all of what I am getting. I noted in a previous post that OpenCPN Connections is showing 2 Com 5 ports, and that the Connections port shows Com 6 (not in Device Manager) but the NEMA sentences shows that port as Com 4.

I have 4 USB A inputs, Vesper AIS, Garmin for depth (which may have GPS; and currently is not working), GPS, and the Simrad Halo Radar. These are connected to a hub.

I didn't know if the Simrad was Halo A or B, but tried both...seems to be same results on NEMA signals.

While I did not expect to get a true Overlay on the chart, as the Halo scanner is essentially pointing at the sky (in covered stall), but I thought I would see "something" on the screen? an error code or whatever.

Do any of the NEMA signals show radar?

Thanks for any assistance.

Armand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Com 3.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	220909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Com 4.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	220910  

Name:	Com 5.PNG
Views:	71
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	220911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Com 5.2.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	220912  

Name:	Com 6 shows as 4.PNG
Views:	69
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	220913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar plug in.PNG
Views:	80
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	220914  

armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 13:15   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Problem with connecting Simrad Halo 20

Armand..
Radar scanner communication is not via serial USB and NMEA. It's via IP-UDP network protocol.
The first thing to check if the PC gets a network when the scanner has power and the "IP to USB" is connected. There should be a "unknown network. No Internet". Without this - no radar. Also check there is no firewall, local or external, hindering the traffic.
Start the radar plugin by the menu icon or right click on the chart area and "Show radar".
If the radar scanner is detected start transmit by the button "Start/Stop radar"

Any help for you with this?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 14:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Armand..
Radar scanner communication is not via serial USB and NMEA. It's via IP-UDP network protocol.
The first thing to check if the PC gets a network when the scanner has power and the "IP to USB" is connected. There should be a "unknown network. No Internet". Without this - no radar. Also check there is no firewall, local or external, hindering the traffic.
Start the radar plugin by the menu icon or right click on the chart area and "Show radar".
If the radar scanner is detected start transmit by the button "Start/Stop radar"

Any help for you with this?
Håkan
Hakan,

Wow. tack så mycket!

I surely missed that it needs an IP connection. Excited to try on boat (that has Volvo engine!)

What do I do with the ethernet connector that comes from the Scanner? IP signal comes through the same "port" or connector on the Spectre laptop along with serial signals?

The HP Spectre has only 2 USB C ports, but not positive the second one is identical.

You've given me a great start to get the Navico going!

Tack,

Armand
Old 08-08-2020, 19:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.seguin View Post
Hakan,

Wow. tack så mycket!

I surely missed that it needs an IP connection. Excited to try on boat (that has Volvo engine!)

What do I do with the ethernet connector that comes from the Scanner? IP signal comes through the same "port" or connector on the Spectre laptop along with serial signals?

The HP Spectre has only 2 USB C ports, but not positive the second one is identical.

You've given me a great start to get the Navico going!

Tack,

Armand
Hakan,

Great suggestions. I can see "ethernet 3" under network status, but only when the scanner has power. I do not see anything like "IP to USB" to check.

In Communications, I added a Network and took default settings. When I open Radar, I have chosen Halo A or Halo B, but have yet to see any image. Now, ) at one time OpenCPN crashed (maybe I selected BOTH at once?) and I briefly saw a different screen that said something like "No Radar Found." Normally, I do not see that screen.

I sense that I am indeed close, but haven't found the answer. I will again look at appropriate documentation on this topic.

Tack,

Armand
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ethenet 3 unknown.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	220921   Click image for larger version

Name:	added network connection.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	220922  

Old 09-08-2020, 00:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.seguin View Post
Hakan,

Great suggestions. I can see "ethernet 3" under network status, but only when the scanner has power. I do not see anything like "IP to USB" to check.
Quote:
Well, in your pict I see "AXIS.... USB... to Fast..." Isn't that the one?
In Communications, I added a Network and took default settings.
Quote:
Again.. The radar scanner and radar_pi plugin has nothing to do with OCPN "Connections". You can take away that one.
When I open Radar, I have chosen Halo A or Halo B, but have yet to see any image. Now, ) at one time OpenCPN crashed (maybe I selected BOTH at once?) and I briefly saw a different screen that said something like "No Radar Found." Normally, I do not see that screen.
Quote:
Good, that's the first step. Let it search. But do also check your Network 3 properties to automatic network address = DHCP
I sense that I am indeed close, but haven't found the answer. I will again look at appropriate documentation on this topic.

Tack,

Armand
Armand..
Check above but also the wiki about hardware connections and other good to have stuff: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/wiki
And what's applicable in this old manual: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...dar:br24_radar

Lycka till!
Håkan
Old 10-08-2020, 19:19   #6

Quote:
Armand..
Check above but also the wiki about hardware connections and other good to have stuff: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/wiki
And what's applicable in this old manual: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...dar:br24_radar

Lycka till!
Håkan
Håkan,

You brought me much luck! Tack. I'm almost there.

I indeed had a firewall courtesy of Norton. Bingo.Now I get a radar picture, but not as an overlay. Issue appears to be related to OpenGL not being activated or available.

I have Accelerated Graphics in a setup, but NOT when the picture comes.

I do get a radar pictureClick image for larger version

Name:	TOOLS ACCELERATED GRAPHICS.PNG
Views:	69
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	221043

Name:	Radar control screen 2.PNG
Views:	70
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	221044

As I understand it, OpenGL comes with the PC and Intel processor? I did download new Windows drivers from the OpenGL website. The second screenshot shows that OpenGL is required, but is greyed out and I can't select it from there.

I've read all of the help and Wiki files I can find, but am clearly missing something.

Tack,

Armand
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PPI window transmitting.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	221045  
Old 11-08-2020, 01:15   #7

Yes the PC's graphical card must have OpenGL. Most have, nothing special.

- OpenCPN "[x] Use Accelerated Graphics (OpenGl)" must be checked.
- Restart O and the PC and see if radar_pi detect OpenGl.
- If not I'm not sure what to do but see the log file: opencpn.log (Probably in "C:\ProgramData\opencpn\") Go to the last start up and find the rows about OpenGL similar to my copy below and copy it here.
Håkan

Code:
17:55:31.871 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1211 OpenGL-> Renderer String: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
17:55:31.871 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1220 OpenGL-> Version reported:  3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.4459
17:55:31.871 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1271 OpenGL-> Detected Intel renderer, disabling stencil buffer
17:55:31.871 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1314 OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: de1
17:55:31.871 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1355 OpenGL-> DISABLING VBO for Intel test.
17:55:31.871 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1361 OpenGL-> Vertexbuffer Objects unavailable
17:55:31.871 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1177 OpenGL Framebuffer OK, size = 1274
17:55:31.887 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1440 OpenGL-> Using Framebuffer Objects
17:55:31.887 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1443 OpenGL-> Using FBO Stencil buffer
17:55:31.887 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1451 OpenGL-> Using Depth buffer clipping
17:55:31.887 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1570 OpenGL-> Using s3tc dxt1 compression
17:55:31.887 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1600 OpenGL-> Compressed tile size: 128kb (8:1)
17:55:31.887 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1464 OpenGL-> Minimum cartographic line width:  1.0
17:55:31.887 MESSAGE glChartCanvas.cpp:1466 OpenGL-> Minimum symbol line width:  1.0
Old 12-08-2020, 16:41   #8

Håkan

Not positive if this is the right log file, but the search found it near current time. However, log time is not the same.

I can get the PPI screen fine, but still no overlay. Now, I should mention that my radar scanner is essentially pointing up to the roof of the slip and down to the water, or close. But, I sure thought I would get some kind of indication on the navigation screen.

The only place I can tick on Accelerated Graphics is in Display, but it is greyed out on the "radar" info window on the screen...previously sent

Tack,

Armand
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	opencpnlog 3pm.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	221170   Click image for larger version

Name:	TOOLS ACCELERATED GRAPHICS.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	221171  

Old 13-08-2020, 01:02   #9

The log file is there and OpenGL on the PC as well.
The only way to control if OpenGL is used or not is the "Options->Display->Advanced", as you did. (Apart from a OpenCPN start switch: -no_opengl but I don't think you have used that?)
The Radar Info window is just that. Summarized info - not a control.

From you log file extract I assume you're not using OCPN version 5.2?
If so try an update and use the Options->Plugins->"Update master catalog" and install latest radar_pi plugin. If that makes any difference.
Old 13-08-2020, 13:26   #10

Quote:
The log file is there and OpenGL on the PC as well.
The only way to control if OpenGL is used or not is the "Options->Display->Advanced", as you did. (Apart from a OpenCPN start switch: -no_opengl but I don't think you have used that?) DID NOT DO THIS
The Radar Info window is just that. Summarized info - not a control.

From you log file extract I assume you're not using OCPN version 5.2?
If so try an update and use the Options->Plugins->"Update master catalog" and install latest radar_pi plugin. If that makes any difference.
Håkan,

I reinstalled O 5.2.0+4d956e1

Then reinstalled Radar Pi 5.1

I will uninstall O and go from there. But, since there is an issue, it seems I may have to investigate to to uninstall/delete files that O installed wherever. I will have to investigate how to best perform this...unless you don't think that is necessary?

I can't thank you enough for all the help.

PS. Have 5 favorite coffee mugs, 4 are Swedish, one Seguin.

Armand
Old 16-08-2020, 06:58   #11

Armand..
I don't think it's necessary to uninstall anything. A fresh (re)install will overwrite what's needed.
If you still have OpenGL issues:

One file can be deleted or re-namend for a test though. It's the config file in Windows called opencpn.ini.
Check the help menu. (A "?" icon) The path to the config and log files are printed there. (Normally "C:\ProgramData\opencpn\")
Stop O. Rename the opencpn.ini to e.g. opencpn.ini.org or copy - past a copy.
Start O. Go to Option->plugins and activate radar_pi. Click OK in options and start the radar plugin. Check for OpenGL status. ???
Ooops : forgot: Go to Options->Display->Advanced and activate OpenGL.

SE mugs are probably fine as long you have as strong coffee in it as we normally use?
Old 17-08-2020, 02:38   #12

Armand..
If not to late, ignore my last advice. No big harm but probably not necessary.

I didn't studied one of your shots carefully enough. Sorry! The radar info window here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3205722
Shows a nice check in the OpenGL part. So yes your OpenGL is there! You refer to the fact it's grayed out and that's normal.
What you are missing is a heading. You don't have any compass connected have you?
To test the chart overlay you can override the true heading by using COG instead. See radar preferences: "Enable COG as heading". Not good for navigation but for a functional test it's OK.
Håkan
Old 04-09-2020, 17:08   #13

Håkan

Bingo. I renamed the ini file to opencpn.ini.org as you suggested, closed O, then showed OpenGL=1

When I restarted, it showed exactly the same. I did nothing else, but iradar WORKS!

Now, I'm in my covered slip, so I get some pretty interesting echoes! But I do see some Red targets..some at hilltops, though pretty random. Can't wait to get underway and try it.

The air has a bit less forest fire smoke today but it will be about 39 Celsius, so hardly pleasant, but am confident all is well.

tack så mycket
Old 05-09-2020, 04:45   #14

Armand..
Good to hear. Enjoy your radar and OpenCPN on next voyage when the "smoke settles"

Varsågod
Håkan
Old 05-09-2020, 22:26   #15

Quote:
Armand..
If not to late, ignore my last advice. No big harm but probably not necessary.

I didn't studied one of your shots carefully enough. Sorry! The radar info window here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3205722
Shows a nice check in the OpenGL part. So yes your OpenGL is there! You refer to the fact it's grayed out and that's normal.
What you are missing is a heading. You don't have any compass connected have you?
To test the chart overlay you can override the true heading by using COG instead. See radar preferences: "Enable COG as heading". Not good for navigation but for a functional test it's OK.
Håkan
Håkan,

I got out on the water and promptly anchored and started O plus the Halo. While the red echoes were now overlaying the chart, they were doing so very haphazardly. Nothing I did changed them. Sounds like no compass connected....I do not recall if I had my Simrad autopilot on or not. BUT, when I raised the anchor and got underway, Presto. The shoreline was where it should be!! While I turned the autopilot on, not sure when...but maybe I had to have done it.

Alas, echoes like breakwaters were THERE, but were a bit off of where the chart showed them to be. and a few close buoys did not give an echo at all. There must be a setting someplace, but I didn't find it. But, this is all Major progress. I see another message.

Tack,

Armand

Tags
simrad