Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2023, 03:56   #106

Re: PyPilot

This is what I see on https://www.bigdumboat.com/cpnplugins.html: . Pypilot app is a part of that ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-14_125459.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	278159  
Bronno Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 08:03   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Pypilot does not build for andriod on this template version
Attempting a translation here…..

Pypilot plugin does not work on the newer OpenCPN release forAndroid?

IIRC I could not get it to work on a PC OpenCPN either.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 08:11   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronno Mulder View Post
This is what I see on https://www.bigdumboat.com/cpnplugins.html: . Pypilot app is a part of that ...
For me that link returns error 403, forbidden.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 18:55   #109

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
For me that link returns error 403, forbidden.

Try https://www.bigdumboat.com/cpnplugins.html
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 05:39   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorxyz View Post
Yes, that is the page where you can read that there is (should be) a plugin for pypilot interface on Android, but the link for a plugin is not working and is not part of the list of plugins in the OpenCPN version of Dave Register for Android.

I get it working now with Arduino for the rudder + Tinypilot + SignalK on a Raspberry PI4 + OpenCPN on the tablet. That is what I expect, but I can't test at home the Route with Waypoints. And I have read somewhere that you need SignalK (on the raspberry) to start the route for Pypilot (?). What I would like to find out is if Tinypilot + OpenCPN on Android would be enough for daily use.
Old 15-07-2023, 18:17   #111

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronno Mulder View Post
Yes, that is the page where you can read that there is (should be) a plugin for pypilot interface on Android, but the link for a plugin is not working and is not part of the list of plugins in the OpenCPN version of Dave Register for Android.

I get it working now with Arduino for the rudder + Tinypilot + SignalK on a Raspberry PI4 + OpenCPN on the tablet. That is what I expect, but I can't test at home the Route with Waypoints. And I have read somewhere that you need SignalK (on the raspberry) to start the route for Pypilot (?). What I would like to find out is if Tinypilot + OpenCPN on Android would be enough for daily use.

good that you got it to build for android. can you describe in some detail the changes made? It used to build for android.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 04:05   #112

@brunno mulder Cant bother to help other users? I have a name for that.
Old 26-07-2023, 14:41   #113

Quote:
@brunno mulder Cant bother to help other users? I have a name for that.

Hi mate, people help if and when they can. You can have no expectations, it's not like you are paying for the assistance you may hope too receive.

If someone posted such a comment on something that I could give assistance with (in this case I can't) that would ensure that they would get nothing more from me. No one here owes you anything.
Old 26-07-2023, 16:25   #114

I asked a perfectly reasonable question, so that we could build for android to make pypilot available to others. Also I do have a right to have an opinion, though unidentified
Old 26-07-2023, 17:57   #115

Quote:
I asked a perfectly reasonable question, so that we could build for android to make pypilot available to others. Also I do have a right to have an opinion, though unidentified

Of course you do.... however they say honey attracts more flys than vinegar...
Old 27-07-2023, 06:16   #116

I agree with you on that.
Old 06-08-2023, 18:46   #117

We need the Pypilot Alarms in Watchdog tested now. Please post results here.

Watchdog 2.4.60.0 in Master Catalog, has been merged by Dave into PIM and is available.
Depth is fixed, Pypilot Alarms and Rudder Alarms are back in the plugin.
Please test every aspect of this plugin and and advise here of which alarms work and which don't (we need to know both confirmations and negatives)!!! ..along with Opencpn version and OS!!

We also need the same testing for Tesplugin 1.0.253.0, In particular which OS it works on and which OS it does not.

Thanks. Also a big thanks to Dave R. for his help getting this working!
Old 07-08-2023, 07:26   #118

Boat: Sailing Yacht, Slotta 30, 30 ft

Do not know where to report, the testplugin can be started on Android 11, Samsung Galaxy Tab A. It shows some tabs and data.

Are there any test step descriptions?

Greetings
Peter
nocheinpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 10:35   #119

Quote:
good that you got it to build for android. can you describe in some detail the changes made? It used to build for android.
Yes, I can explain how it is working now: Arduino + Tinypilot + Raspberry GPS receiver+ Tablet. But I didn't make real changes. I had some problems with getting the connections working. For that reason, I started over again with the newest versions. What I did was:

1) I use the Tinypilot as server. The standard IP address 192.168.14.1. I installed the newest version of Tinypolot as described on the internet (I have to redefine the settings for my boat, or copy the file of the earlier version).
2) For the Raspberry Pi4, I installed the OS of Openplotter to get it as complete as possible. I uninstalled OpenCPN on the Raspberry. Also because I saw that the Raspberry became slower. And because I want to use for the charts my tablet and not VNC viewer in combination with OpenCPN on the Raspberry. I fixed the IP address: Wifi pypilot /IP 192.168.14.100/ gateway 192.168.14.1.
3) I connected a GPS receiver with USB cable to the Raspberry. For receiving the GPS signal, I used openplotter. In SignalK I defined it as incoming NMEA0183. If it is connected, SignalK shows the incoming satellite data beside the compass of Tinypilot. Tinypilot is automatically recognized by SignalK.
4) On the tablet, I installed OpenCPN for Android. It seems that the newest version is needed, I use now version 5.8.4. Settings for Connection: Network/Protocol: SignalK/Address:192.168.14.100 (the Raspberry with SignalK)/Network port: 3000. I disabled the GPS of the tablet. I also installed the o-charts + information about the bridges.

What I see now (after some different trials... ?): OpenCPN on the tablet receives the GPS signal from SignalK. With 192.168.14.1 in the browser of the tablet (or pypilot.ini????) I see the interface of Tinypilot.
I still have to test the routes (waypoints) for Tinypilot, which I can define in OpenCPN, but I expect that it will work, because the SignalK connection is working now. The next step for me will be to connect my AIS receiver.

These are my experiences till now. If you want to know more, let me hear. For a more detailed description, I need the hardware and I'm not at home (or on the boat) now.
Bronno
Old 08-08-2023, 17:42   #120

Thanks so much Bronno, you certainly have a considerable amount of experience with pypilot. Thank you for sharing. Some users may be very interested in your successes connecting and operating pypilot. I am very interested in learning more too.

Perhaps you can test the Watchdog Alarms for pypilot and let us know how they work?