Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2023, 10:19   #121

Re: PyPilot

[Qand rgleason;3810043] so much Bronno, you certainly have a considerable amount of experience with pypilot. Thank you for sharing. Some users may be very interested in your successes connecting and operating pypilot. I am very interested in learning more too.

Perhaps you can test the Watchdog Alarms for pypilot and let us know how they work?[/QUOTE]

If I can help other people with my experience till now, I would like to do that. Don't forget: I only got it done with the paid version of OpenCPN. This one is up-to-date, the free version for a tablet seems to be very old.

I also looked to Whatchdog, and that has many nice possibilities! But I first have to create and test the connection with my AIS receiver (HA102) and the Raspberry (SignalK). If I get that working this year, that would be perfect. Also because the permanent berth of my boat is far away from where I'm living. Besides that, most of my time the coming months, I have to use that for my work in the development countries. So I expect that will be the next summer

I'm most interested to fix the distance from the wall, and of oncoming boats. Beside the Ijselmeer, I'm often sailing in small waters in the Netherlands. If I'm using pypilot + compass, I often have to correct course. The GPS (and the Whatchdog perhaps?), is safe enough for a distance of about 30 meter or more I expect? Perhaps it can be done with sending a sound and receiving an echo. That is what I'm using for an Arduino robot, distance accurate to 2 decimal places. Or analyzing a camera image? So if someone already has experience with that, I'm interested. I have no practical experience till now if waypoints is accurate enough for the non-straight channels, but I will try that over 2 weeks I expect: 1 week sailing again ;-). Greetings.
Bronno Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 10:08   #122

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Very interesting article suggested by MGrouch

Fractional-Order Controller for Course-Keeping of Underactuated Surface Vessels Based on Frequency Domain Specification and Improved Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm

to help solve the issues of Autopilots.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 13:06   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

More discussion was here:

https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot/issues/210
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 18:34   #124

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop