Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 05:09   #1

Boat: Friendship 28
Pypilot plugin some questions / minior issues

Hi,

try to get a pypilot to work.

Since yet I have the pypilot-server (a Raspberry Pi Zero w with Tinypilot image) an Arduino and IBT-2 hbridge as motor controller conneced together and bring them up to work (with a linear actuator from pcnautic).
I use a raspberry pi 3b+ with the latest Raspbian Buster and Opencpn 5.2.4 and the pypilot is implemented as a wlan client. In Opencpn I use the latest pypilot plugin 0.22.5.0.
Generally all work fine together. The informations from pypilot are visble in the plugin and the inputs from the plugin ends in the right reactions from pypilot.

Sometimes the gains-settings are not visible. If so than most of the other settings are invisible too.
Mostley they came back after restarting OC.
What actions triggers the settings to be invisible is not really clear, Iīll investigate this in the next weeks.

The tack-function does not work. When starting the tack function via the plugin in compass mode the waiting time counts down and then the AP just disengaged. No movement at the actuator.
When using Hardware gpio pin nothing happens.

So I decided to build the pypilot plugin from source for testing it.
I was able to build it (not in the tree from OC) but I was unsuccessful trying to install the build package.
Trying "sudo make install" installs something but not visible and useable in OC.
Trying "make package" and then install the package the same.
Trying to import the package via the plugin manager ends with a fault message like "not the right metadata in tarball"
Try to manipulate the cmakeconfig files (compared them with a successful build installation) but this does not work.

How can I install build from source plugins in OC 5.2.4 with the new plugin manager?
Is there a special path where to place the install packages?

Thanks and regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 08:16   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Pypilot plugin some questions / minior issues

Andreas..
I've no experiencing of the pypilot but generally if you have installed a managed plugin and want to install the locally built you have to first uninstall the managed plugin by the plugin handler. If both a managed and a local plugin is installed O will prioritize the managed.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 10:05   #3

Hi,

Hakan, this was the first I did, deinstall the plugin by the plugin handler in OC.

I donīt understand the mangement of plugins cause I didnīt find any packets of the pypilot plugin in the normal software packet management (settings add/remove software).
Doesnīt matter if installed by the plugin handler or not.

The fault message I get seems to say that some needed informations in the header of the build package.tar.gz are wrong or missing for the plugin handler.

What I donīt understand...when installing the package via sudo apt-get install I canīt find it in OC.

Regards

Andreas
Old 15-11-2020, 07:28   #4

Hi,

seems that I got it.
To place the libpypilot_pi.so file in the build folder to the usr/local/lib/opencpn folder was the key.

Best regards

Andreas

Tags
plug