Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2022, 19:27   #31

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Query: N2K on Raspberry Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve0hak View Post
The YDWG-2 behaviour of batching messages up into UDP frames is a little idiosyncratic, not to mention expensive for what it is... Enough so that I'm waiting on one of these [1] to arrive in the post, to use either on an RPi or one of the pine64 boards with a compatible pinout.

[1] https://www.waveshare.com/2-ch-can-hat.htm
OTOH, the setting up an rpi with a CAN interface and signalk is a whole lot of work, and frankly, a royal PITA unless you just like playing with tech for the sake of playing with it(which is great if you do). And when it works, it doesn't work as well as the YDWG-02.

I spent a few weekends with it, and I really dislike it. (coming from someone with decades of Linux experience, programming experience, and electronics experience) SignalK is "cool" tech, but overly complicated for what really should be a dead stupid simple thing. Supporting NMEA2000 in core OCPN, while difficult to do for the developers, is the simplest and best way for users.

Until NMEA2000 is supported in core OCPN, IMHO the solution is something like the YDWG-2.
Old 16-08-2022, 19:39   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

I am using "Sailor hat" for Raspberry, from HatLabs, since 1 year, 24/7. Has been rock solid.

https://hatlabs.fi/product/sh-rpi-nortc
kupo2kupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 01:29   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa391as View Post
isn’t that essentially what the TwoCAN plug-in already does ?
Yes.
However a few things to note. Dave & Alec initially plan to support a couple of the gateway devices that also provide raw NMEA 2000 data such as the Actisense NGT-1 and Yacht Devices YDNU-2 etc.

They also plan to support just the necessary NMEA 2000 PGN's to provide position, heading, SOG, COG and I'm guessing AIS to enable OCPN to function.

Frankly Im not sure why a Yacht Devices gateway user would want to use the raw mode in this scenario when larger set of conversions is provided by the device's NMEA 2000 to NMEA 183 gateway feature than what the are planning.. In addition it provides NMEA 183 output can be consumed by other devices such as Tablets running Navionics etc.

The thrust of the original question is to allow Dave & Alec to determine what if any devices that support the socketCan interface on Linux (including Pi) they need to support.

Thanks for the "plug" for TwoCan.

Other than the Actisense NGT-1 and Yacht Devices gateways (operating in raw mode), it supports a wider range of adapters on all platforms, and a wider range of conversions (including NMEA183 to NMEA 2000) than what Dave & Alec are initially planning. And it has a cool icon!

I have been somewhat amused following this thread.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 01:42   #34

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa391as View Post
isn’t that essentially what the TwoCAN plug-in already does ?

The SignalK server works independent form OpenCPN. You can use the data on other systems or the MXTommy instrument sets without the necessarty to use of OpenCPN.

It is also a multiplexer for several other data sources. And you can send OpenCPN route and waypoint data back to the signalK server. And send the route data to the nmea2k bus and show the route data in NMEA2K displays.The Canable and NGT-1 are bi-directuinal.

Bram
verkerkbr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 17:47   #35

Boat: Hunter 38

Copperhill PiCAN hat. I have an AIS receiver on the NMEA 2000 buss and in addition am using a SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter to bring all my SeatTalk1 gear onto the Pi as well for speed, depth, wind and so forth. Finally I have a Veratron Go GPS receiver also on the NMEA2k buss.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 08:20   #36

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

RPi-4 with
-external USB GPS receiver
-Debian 10 (Buster)
-Node-Red for data processing
-InfluxDB for data history storage
-Grafana for displays

Mode: NMEA-2000 bus
- Pican-M HAT with power supply
- Pican-M requires TwoCan
- Node-Red requires SocketCan

Mode: NMEA-0183
- YDWG-02 WiFi Gateway
- or Ethernet

The project stopped awhile back (other priorities). Some issues I had include:
-Lots of setup.
-Debian Bullseye still lacks many plugins, including Twocan and Dashboard Tactics
-Node-Red requires Buster
-No N2K palette available for Node-Red
-Limited handling of PGNs by SocketCan, e.g. certain Airmar Weatherstation PGNs
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 08:58   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrmundi View Post
-Debian Bullseye still lacks many plugins, including Twocan and Dashboard Tactics
-Limited handling of PGNs by SocketCan, e.g. certain Airmar Weatherstation PGNs
With so many different platforms to support these days, I don't know whether I'm Arthur or Martha.

I'm quite sure that TwoCan supported Debian Bullseye in the last version (v2.1), so you may want to update your catalogue.

Out of interest, what Airmar proprietary weather station PGN's are you interested in ? The only proprietary PGN I am aware of is PGN 130880 which has fields such as Wind Chill, Heat Index, Dew Point etc.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote