Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 06:37   #31

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: Radar plugin 5.3.0-beta released

And don't forget to make VerboseLog=0 again after you are ready with all this. Otherwise your logfiles will be too large, creating overhead in the system.
Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:54   #32

Thanks to the developers for the opportunity to use the Quantum radar with OpenCPN, judging by the prices, this is the most budget solution among the new radars on the market.
Successfully connected Quantum to PC via WIFI router.
Configured the network and subnet of the router under the radar network. DHCP gives the connected devices the right IP. The device connected to the router via Wifi has internet and radar
On WIN11, 10 works great

The resolution of the radar image is really low (large pixels). But if the rendering method is set to Shader, then more or less.

Not enough newlines for translation in Crowdin
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Thanks to the developers for the opportunity to use the Quantum radar with OpenCPN, judging by the prices, this is the most budget solution among the new radars on the market.
Successfully connected Quantum to PC via WIFI router.
Configured the network and subnet of the router under the radar network. DHCP gives the connected devices the right IP. The device connected to the router via Wifi has internet and radar
On WIN11, 10 works great

The resolution of the radar image is really low (large pixels). But if the rendering method is set to Shader, then more or less.

Not enough newlines for translation in Crowdin
Good to hear that the Quantum radar works fine with the beta plugin. We will work on the reported issues and make this a regular release later.
On the low resolution of the image: this is a radar issue, the plugin is following the radar. But I do not know a way to round off the pixels, may be someone else finds a solution for that. Indeed in shader mode there is some more softness.

But be aware, there is a difference. In vertex array mode (default) every spoke is displayed individually at the location where it was received. In vertex mode the whole image is displayed in one shot at the recent position. This makes quite a difference on a moving boat. In vertex mode, when sailing past a buoy, the buoy will "jump" backwards every sweep of the radar. In vertex array mode, the buoy will gradually move backwards.
Douwe
Old 04-04-2022, 10:43   #34

Douwe,
It looks like the directions you sent me are for a Windows machine and I'm running OpenCPN on an M1 chip MacBook Pro. I did find the opencpn.ini file though and changed the line VerboseLog= 0 to VerboseLog=13, but haven't been back to the boat since to record another opencpn.log file. I searched my computer for opencpn.log files and did not find any. I followed the path Macintosh HD/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports/OpenCPN_2022-04-02-151923_MacBook-Pro-2.hang, which I suspect is the log you you are looking for. It's 3.5 MB though so I could not attach it here. I couldn't figure out how to send the file to your percussion.nl address. That looked like a blog of yours. If that's where I should send this file, point me to the right process on that web page to attach the file please.
SirChaunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:46   #35

We will have one of the team (Kees) testing here in the Netherlands soon. So thank you for your efforts, but I suggest you leave it at that.
And by the way when I write df at percussion.nl as a mail address, I mean that "at" should be replaced by "@" just like any mail address. I don't write it in full as I am getting too much spam already.
Douwe
Old 07-04-2022, 01:18   #36

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaunchy View Post
Douwe,
I searched my computer for opencpn.log files and did not find any.
A simple way to find your log and config files: "About OpenCPN", OCPN left toolbar the question mark (?) icon, will show the file locations.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:20   #37

Douwe
Please comment on my post
https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/issues/193
posted a long time ago no answer
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:00   #38

Boat: Neel 51 trimaran

Here is the verbose logging for the issue that I detailed in this thread. Basically, Halo 20 A you get basic radar over 5g wifi. No advanced features.
Halo 20 B nothing at all.
It is too large to upload!!!?:
Here is a dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/jKmHPFadsf06nTM2
Carryonsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:02   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Douwe
Please comment on my post
https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/issues/193
posted a long time ago no answer
This issue was posted 4 days ago, and we did not answer.

Please be aware that we are not offering 7*24 support with 3 hours response time. We do not have support contracts. This is an open source project where developers work for the fun of it, when we have time. And we like to share our results with the OpenCPN community.
Anybody is free to implement the functionality he or she wishes to have, and to share that with others again.

Douwe
Old 08-04-2022, 07:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carryonsailing View Post
Here is the verbose logging for the issue that I detailed in this thread. Basically, Halo 20 A you get basic radar over 5g wifi. No advanced features.
Halo 20 B nothing at all.
It is too large to upload!!!?:
Here is a dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/jKmHPFadsf06nTM2
I am traveling now and can't really debug your problem from here. But I have two remarks.
- the radar is not suitable to run over wireless connections. It might function, but the connection is unreliable. One radar might look OK sometimes, two radars could be over the limit.
- the version you are using according to your log: PlugIn Version detected: 5.2

I would suggest that you connect the radar with a wired connection. To test version 5.3.0 beta I recommend that you follow the following remarks of Hakan:
This beta plugin is already in the Plugin manager but you have to change "Settings" to use catalog Beta and then Update catalog Beta.
Unfortunately(?) you've to close OCPN and edit the config file, opencpn.ini, to include:
in
[Settings]
CatalogExpert=1

Douwe
Old 08-04-2022, 07:57   #41
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
[Settings]
CatalogExpert=1

Douwe

in that section please:

[Plugins]
CatalogExpert=1
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
I am traveling now and can't really debug your problem from here. But I have two remarks.
- the radar is not suitable to run over wireless connections. It might function, but the connection is unreliable. One radar might look OK sometimes, two radars could be over the limit.
- the version you are using according to your log: PlugIn Version detected: 5.2

I would suggest that you connect the radar with a wired connection. To test version 5.3.0 beta I recommend that you follow the following remarks of Hakan:
This beta plugin is already in the Plugin manager but you have to change "Settings" to use catalog Beta and then Update catalog Beta.
Unfortunately(?) you've to close OCPN and edit the config file, opencpn.ini, to include:
in
[Settings]
CatalogExpert=1

Douwe
I am such a clown for not updating that Beta master file. I can assure you that I have done on the mac and other test machines
FYI have just tested over Wifi with the latest beta and the result is the same.
I have tested before over wired connection and the result was the same with the previous version plugin. I will now test the latest plug in over Ethernet rather than wifi and report back. Safe travels by the way.
KR
Old 09-04-2022, 06:02   #43

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

@CarryOnSailing, I think that you have a Halo20, not a Halo20+ and this does not support features such as Doppler, target separation, 2nd radar, better range (25W power instead of 10W) etc. Unfortunately we don't really know how to detect the difference and the plugin offers all capabilities even if you have a Halo20.

So I would say, the radar is working as supposed to but the plugin could be improved to not offer this if we recognise this is the reduced version. Not sure what the best approach is, but a PCAP file with data would help so we can see if we can reverse engineer the difference between Halo20, Halo20+, Halo24, Halo3/4/6.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:40   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
@CarryOnSailing, I think that you have a Halo20, not a Halo20+ and this does not support features such as Doppler, target separation, 2nd radar, better range (25W power instead of 10W) etc. Unfortunately we don't really know how to detect the difference and the plugin offers all capabilities even if you have a Halo20.

So I would say, the radar is working as supposed to but the plugin could be improved to not offer this if we recognise this is the reduced version. Not sure what the best approach is, but a PCAP file with data would help so we can see if we can reverse engineer the difference between Halo20, Halo20+, Halo24, Halo3/4/6.
That would explain a lot, it seems I am twice the clown then!
Thanks for all your efforts folks. What I can add to you all is that I am using a 5g Router from linksys (the blue one

https://harddiskdirect.com/wrt54g-li...ntent=Category)

and it is the same quality as if I am directly plugged in via rj45.
In fact I can run 4 computers to receive radar with no glitches, rasPi, M1 mac and Winblows 11.

you are all legends thanks again.

James, Eva and Elbe the German shepherd dog (and captain).
Old 09-04-2022, 07:25   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post

PCAP file with data

let me know how I can do this for you and I will .

Tags
lease, plug, plugin, radar