Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 01:52   #1
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48
Radar Plugin question -- Halo connectivity

I’m having an issue that may be a bug or a feature, that I could use some help with. I’m using Radar plugin 5.5.0 and OpenCPN 5.8.4 and a Simrad Halo24 (I think all the Navico Halos are the same) quite successfully for about 2 years. I recently upgraded my Raymarine chartplotter to a B&G 12 Zeus 3S so now I can use the radar in the cockpit as well. However, If I’ve been using the radar with OpenCPN, the B&G plotter shows the radar as “invalid” and won’t connect. I have to disable the plugin in OpenCPN and power cycle the radar to get it to connect to the B&G plotter. The same holds true if I am connected to the B&G first, I cannot connect with OpenCPN (it just tries and tries).

At this point I would normally just say well that’s the way it is, except that B&G say that you should be able to connect two plotters to the radar and on my previous boat I had a similar set up (openCPN a Simrad Zeus3 and a Halo 3.5 open array radar) and was able to use OpenCPN and the plotter at the same time. My wife would be at the nav station, change the radar scale in OpenCPN and I would notice on the chart plotter in the cockpit.

So to my questions about what I can do on the new boat to fix the situation. My new boat has an ethernet switch and not a router, so I believe it is using the link local IP addresses. The old boat had the Simrad ethernet/WiFi GO router is this the problem? Is the Simrad Halo open array different in connection to the Simrad Halo24? Are there changes to the way OpenCPN connects in the last two years? Anything else I should try to get both radar displays working at the same time?

TIA, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug, plugin, radar