Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2022, 13:53   #1

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40'
Radar Plugin sketchy operation in 5.6.2 MacOS

I have both a mac and ubuntu system running the 5.3.3 radar plugin.
I installed/reinstalled the plugin on my mac.
I got the radar icon to propagate a radar window and successfully turn on the radar from standby - then show the transmitted data one time on my mac. When I restart OpenCPN now I can highlight the radar icon and it will change color but no menu to setup the radar.
I successfully used this when it was b24 plugin.

On the Linux version, I did as asked in another topic to install it via flatpak.
I can install the plugin but I don't get the icon on the tool bar to initiate it.
I'm heading out in 10 days for a 4 month cruise and would sure like to get this working on both systems.
Cheers!
Sam
samoorelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 14:04   #2

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40'
Re: Radar Plugin sketchy operation in 5.6.2 MacOS

More info:
Upon restarting OpenCPN on my Mac, the Radar selection screen pops up for a couple of seconds then disappears. I thought the window might have gone behind the main screen. That is not the case. OpenCPN only sees one window - the main user interface screen.
samoorelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 13:17   #3

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

I have similar issue with Radar plugin on Ubuntu 22.04 installed using flatpak - plugin installs but icon doesn't show up on tool bar.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 14:14   #4

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

1. Can you access the radar plugin preferences window from the OpenCPN Settings > Plug-in tab? If you can, this means the plug-in is compatible with O. We are suffering through a transitory phase where O has changed the wx library version and the plug-in was still using an older version. We believe these to be fixed in 5.3.3, especially on macOS.
2. In that page, you should be able to click on the radar type selection button and select your radar type. This selection window is not programmed to ‘go away’. If it is, something funny is going on and we would like a report on GitHub including a log and ini file.
3. Sorry, but given how we are out sailing and how this forum doesn’t allow us to monitor for ‘radar plug-in’, 10 days is often not enough lead time for us to react. If you want us to see it ASAP, you are better off on the plug-in page on github.
4. Sorry but ‘flatpak on Ubuntu 22.04’ is not specific enough, we also need a processor architecture…

https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 14:31   #5

I had forgotten about it, but the flatpak issue might be this: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/issues/199
Old 15-06-2022, 16:08   #6

The flatpak issue has been fixed, update the master catalog and install.

Your Mac issue I still don’t understand.
Old 16-06-2022, 20:18   #7

Boat: Nauticat 32

I installed a Halo20 and OpenCPN on someone's boat using a Mac recently and had this "flakey" window effect. I had never seen it before, but somehow worked it out by just messing with it.

If you can change the pref settings to get the window in question open, then it seems to stablize. It is as if the preset pref settings are messed up and the takes a bit for the radar_pi to get them sorted out. On that system, once it got it, it was fine after that.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 04:52   #8

@SCarns and @samoorelex, sorry, still can’t correlate what you are saying.

As soon as you press ‘enable’ on the plug-in in the list of plugins, the radar plug-in is loaded and initialization in the plug-in is called. We don’t know when the user closed the settings dialog, so thecode has no option but to show its windows.

The first window, that is always shown when there is no radar selected, is the radar selection window. You should choose your radar(s) and then click OK. Now you can close the settings page, and the radar should then already show the PPI window, or if it cannot find your radar, the information window showing how it is searching for the radar and whether the conditions for display are satisfied.

I tried all things I could think of with an empty/reset ini file etc but I cannot reproduce using O 5.6.2 and macOS 12.4.

Tags
ketch, plug, plugin, radar