Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2019, 05:06   #136

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Joe...
Let's sort this out in two parts. Software and hardware.

Software:
Since you have updated OCPN I suppose you're now on version 5.0, correct?
If so: You have to also change your plugins to comply with OCPN v 5.0. For Garmin HD it's now incorporated in the common radar_pi;
https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/radarPI.html
or an update for the radar_pi plugin:
https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...ag/5.0.2-beta3

Hardware:
There are no changes for wiring or physical connections. So what's worked before should fit now as well; https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/doc/GRadarDoc.pdf
Since I'm using a Navico scanner I'm not so keen at Garmin functionality but to start the scanner, once powered up and IP-connected, you've to use the software command in the radar_pi plugin. Select your radar type and click the button as on my shot.

Good luck
Attached Images

Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 06:25   #137

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
It is best to read the manual, but this will tell you too, if you read it.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._radar_scanner
Thanks, I have read the manual, my background is running an engine room on a nuclear submarine so I can recognize the value of step by step. The link you sent me to was for navico and I am trying with a garmin, probably a lot of similarities.
I am trying to restore a laptop to last known good configuration but unfortunately I did not log what that was. I think it was 4.0 but when I download either the radar or GX radar plugins I get an error message that they are not compatible with this version. I sent the dome in to be checked and was told it was functioning fine. I have rechecked cabling, visually and with a RJ 45 tester and an ohm meter and they indicate good. I have indication the computer is talking to the radar as the message on startup, before I tried to go back to an earlier version of CPN was that it saw the scanner, multicast was working but I get no response from the radar button in the task bar. When I close open CPN a message comes up in the radar log" TX off" I have tried on two different computers and I am stuck. As I said in my first post I got it running last year when the radar was new so somewhere along the line I did things right.
Old 20-07-2019, 06:30   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Joe...
Let's sort this out in two parts. Software and hardware.

Software:
Since you have updated OCPN I suppose you're now on version 5.0, correct?
If so: You have to also change your plugins to comply with OCPN v 5.0. For Garmin HD it's now incorporated in the common radar_pi;
https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/radarPI.html
or an update for the radar_pi plugin:

https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...ag/5.0.2-beta3

Hardware:
There are no changes for wiring or physical connections. So what's worked before should fit now as well; https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/doc/GRadarDoc.pdf
Since I'm using a Navico scanner I'm not so keen at Garmin functionality but to start the scanner, once powered up and IP-connected, you've to use the software command in the radar_pi plugin. Select your radar type and click the button as on my shot.

Good luck
Thanks Hakan, didn't read your post first, WHen I updated to the latest software I could no longer find the scanner so I tried reverting back to an older version but forget what the last know good configuration was, getting old. I guess I will try again with the latest software and see what happens.
Old 20-07-2019, 07:11   #139

Thanks Haakan and rgleason.. The setup instructions have my network adapter set at 172.16.1.1 which used to work. In the new radar pi it is searching at 192.168.1.104 and 168.56.1. I cannot change the radar address so how do I tell it to search there
Old 20-07-2019, 07:26   #140

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sorry, that I had the wrong radar. I think hakan's post is helpful for a high powered nuke sub guy.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 07:31   #141

It may need to be changed and recompiled for your ip, but first check the pref, ini or cong file to see if it can be set there. Hakan will know more.
Old 20-07-2019, 07:40   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Thanks Haakan and rgleason.. The setup instructions have my network adapter set at 172.16.1.1 which used to work. In the new radar pi it is searching at 192.168.1.104 and 168.56.1. I cannot change the radar address so how do I tell it to search there
First thing before any attempt to get the radar_pi to find a radar scanner is that the PC does have a IP connection to the scanner. If Windows the network status use to be available at the right down list. A wired network without Internet should be visible. If not radar_pi will never find the scanner. From the manual I can see Garmin needs a fixed address and no DHCP and, as you say, 172.16.1.1. (This is different from my Navico where a DHCP is available.) If the PC don't have a IP connection to the scanner check for example your firewall.
Håkan
Old 20-07-2019, 08:52   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
First thing before any attempt to get the radar_pi to find a radar scanner is that the PC does have a IP connection to the scanner. If Windows the network status use to be available at the right down list. A wired network without Internet should be visible. If not radar_pi will never find the scanner. From the manual I can see Garmin needs a fixed address and no DHCP and, as you say, 172.16.1.1. (This is different from my Navico where a DHCP is available.) If the PC don't have a IP connection to the scanner check for example your firewall.
Håkan
I am pretty sure that the connection is good but you give me thought as the adapter says cable is unplugged. Still need the computer to look for the right IP though
Old 20-07-2019, 09:20   #144

Here is a PR that allows configuration, but perhaps it is not as advanced?

https://github.com/bdbcat/gradar_pi/pull/6

If this is for windows, Hakan or I could build it for you, provided we know which PR's to merge and which is the best repository to use.
Old 20-07-2019, 09:34   #145

I am running windows 7 on both computers I have tried. When the system worked I did see the lan adapter icon indicating connection, not now. I wish I knew more of what you are talking about doing and I could give you more info. The link you sent I can see what is going on as I am trying to learn the Pi language. I just don't know how to run this in windows or openCPN
Old 20-07-2019, 09:49   #146

Actually, I now realize that the newer radar_pi for Opencpn 5 includes Garmin Radars.
So that repository is here https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi
and this would be where the ip would be changed, if other measures don't work.

I believe Merrrimac & Douwe and someone else who had a Garmin were testing the integration of Garmin into the plugin, but perhaps Jubilee39 is also testing it? I know the integration was particularly difficult due to communications issues.

Perhaps someone who is actually using this plugin with Garmin will chime in here to confirm that it is working for them and what is needed to setup properly?

See
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2860550

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2859610

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2860375

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2857741
Old 20-07-2019, 11:35   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I am running windows 7 on both computers I have tried. When the system worked I did see the lan adapter icon indicating connection, not now. I wish I knew more of what you are talking about doing and I could give you more info. The link you sent I can see what is going on as I am trying to learn the Pi language. I just don't know how to run this in windows or openCPN
Joe..
If you run OpenCPN version 5.0 Radar_pi version 5.x is your tool. Nothing else.
For windows 7 try to disable all firewalls for a while, both internal and external and check for differences. If you're on board and no Internet connection the lack of firewall is without risks.
Håkan
Old 20-07-2019, 13:48   #148

Boat: Corbin 39

I am running the latest version of Open CPN Ver 5 with CM93 ver 2011 and lately, I noticed the depths are not showing, however, the contour lines are shown.
I am running on windows 10 and have used it before and was working fine. Anyone with a solution

Mario
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 04:33   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon View Post
I am running the latest version of Open CPN Ver 5 with CM93 ver 2011 and lately, I noticed the depths are not showing, however, the contour lines are shown.
I am running on windows 10 and have used it before and was working fine. Anyone with a solution

Mario
I noticed the text turns off frequently and I turn it back on from the box in the lower left corner
Old 21-07-2019, 04:58   #150

Boat: Ovni 385

Please use this thread for radar_pi related issues only. There are other threads for general OpenCPN questions.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, plug, radar