Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2019, 05:15   #151

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
This issue is caused by the released version of OpenCPN itself. The way that this version is compiled is not suitable for the latest versions of Mojave. When I compile O myself on the target Mojave machine, all is fine.

The OpenCPN crew is aware of this problem. I expect the issue to be solved in the next maintenance release of O.

Douwe Fokkema

I tested the new 5.0.1 interim release of OpenCPN for macOS and am happy to report that this works very well on Mojave with the Navico/Garmin common radar plugin.

You do have to use the 5.0.1 release of the plugin, not one of the later beta releases where we tried to work around this issue (but weren't very successful.)

https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...ses/tag/v5.0.1
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 13:56   #152

I've just created another Beta release -- from the release notes:

This is a roll-up release of a number of glitches since 5.0.2-beta1 was released:
  • HALO: Ranges of 16 nm and above are now drawn at the proper distance from the boat.
  • The AIS rollover on the main OpenCPN chart windows should work even when the PPI radar window(s) are open, on all platforms.
  • The radar windows do not flash on startup on Windows and Linux. If we try to do the same on macOS it crashes, so there we'll have to live with this.
  • Tested with OpenCPN 5.0.1 on macOS that the display glitches / not updating PPI window are gone.
  • Translation updates.

To download (macOS and Windows binaries and Linux source):

https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...g/v5.0.3-beta2

If there are no serious glitches I'd like to release this as production so that the Linux PPA can be updated.
Old 21-07-2019, 21:04   #153
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hello,

For me, using a Halo open array, this is the first version that shows data drop-outs. Each revolution there are between 3-6 missing sectors from about 3-10 degrees wide by my estimate. It does seem to connect very reliably now with my limited testing. I'll use it for a bit and report back on that.

Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 23:46   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Hello,

For me, using a Halo open array, this is the first version that shows data drop-outs. Each revolution there are between 3-6 missing sectors from about 3-10 degrees wide by my estimate. It does seem to connect very reliably now with my limited testing. I'll use it for a bit and report back on that.

Eric

Eric, as I told you on github, but I'll repeat here for other's sake: you are using WiFi and this is to be expected. I always get dropouts on my 5 GHz WLAN (where the lowest bandwidth is 6 Mbit/s.)

The best solution is to use a wired connection (LAN). Yes, it is a pain with a laptop. Sorry.
Old 22-07-2019, 12:01   #155
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Fair enough, I understand your position. My ethernet port is already in use, I could possibly juggle things around.

But as I have reported here, I had tweaked my WiFi settings to allow multicast passthrough and have been careful about keeping slower devices off of the network since it defaults to the slowest mode. I have been using the radar from OpenCPN for a long time over WiFi with no data dropouts and something changed with this release. Before I was even able to use both Halo A and Halo B at the same time with no dropouts, and now when I do that it makes about twice as many missing spokes. If you think there is nothing changed in the plugin that might cause the spokes, I'll have to look carefully at my WiFi connection settings again. It is possible something changed in the WiFi driver in the last windows 10 update to 1903.

Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:00   #156

Running OCPN 5.0.0 with radar_pi plugin v5.0.3-beta3 hooked up to a Garmin xhd2 scanner I run into the following problem (see attachment). When trying to adjust the bearing alignment it works well if the values are > 0 degrees. When doing a negative adjustment the value is recognized (see log attachement) but the value jumps back to 0 degrees immediately.
Any ideas what the reason for this behavior could be.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-08-07 16-49-16.png
Views:	149
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	197417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-08-07 16-56-44.png
Views:	120
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	197418  

stenhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05   #157

Sounds like the code assumes the value is signed whereas the garmin needs an unsigned value. As there are only a handful of garmin users as far as I know vsuch bugs tend to surface only when someone tries it, a.k.a. you!

Can you try setting it to a high value such as 355?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:40   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post

Can you try setting it to a high value such as 355?

I have tried to go clockwise but it stops at 180 degrees. Setting VerboseLog=7 gives the following output - see attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-08-07 18-38-04.png
Views:	108
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	197424  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:06   #159

UPDATE - changing GarminxHDControl.cpp and comment line 228->230 seems to fix the issue.

case CT_BEARING_ALIGNMENT: {
//if (value < 0) {
// value += 360;
//}

Have to do more testing though.
Keep you posted.

Thanks
stenhh
Old 14-08-2019, 09:32   #160

Radar plugin v5.0.0 wired directly to 4g scanner w/o plotter

I have been searching for many hours now and I have no clear answer to my problem. I am running OpenCpn on Linux Mint 19 on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-30. I just bought a B and G 4g radar scanner with an RI10 . I have three questions.
1) How do I wire it to my computer without a chartplotter? I've found numerous posts for wiring it with a dedicated chartplotter attached as well, but nothing for a direct wire system without a chartplotter involved.
2) Can I use a GoFree module from Navico (also without a chartplotter) to send the radar data wirelessly to the PC?
3) Can I use a typical wireless router to set up a wireless system to transmit data from multiple sources to the PC (radar included)?

I'm fairly new at this and slowly understanding how it works, but have hit a wall with this issue.

Any help, greatly appreciated. BTW. I have read several of the threads showing setup where a chartplotter is included in the setup, so please don't direct me back to one of those.

Don
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 09:37   #161

It looks like you are using an ethernet to USB adapter to make it work? No issues?
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 09:46   #162
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

No, no issue with the USB.

On the boat there is even a switch in between:
Radar --> switch --> 1) OCPN PC with USB-Ethernet adapter 2) RI10 --> Simrad Plotter

Power to the radar is independent, no need to go through the RI10

Your B&G 4G is identical with the Simrad 3G in these aspects.

And btw.: the developers of the Radar-PI discourage to use WiFi as frequent drop outs are observed.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:06   #163

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 wired directly to 4g scanner w/o plotter

Don..
Some comments below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackedo View Post
I have been searching for many hours now and I have no clear answer to my problem. I am running OpenCpn on Linux Mint 19 on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-30. I just bought a B and G 4g radar scanner with an RI10 . I have three questions.
1) How do I wire it to my computer without a chartplotter? I've found numerous posts for wiring it with a dedicated chartplotter attached as well, but nothing for a direct wire system without a chartplotter involved.
You can wire it with or without the RI10 unit. See the description for BR24 radar scanner here: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_installation
Quote:
2) Can I use a GoFree module from Navico (also without a chartplotter) to send the radar data wirelessly to the PC?
Normally it will fail using a wireless connection due to extensive traffic and data package size. I've though seen the GoFree system to work on some units. It depends on the network card on the PC. See more on the manual as of my link above.
Quote:
3) Can I use a typical wireless router to set up a wireless system to transmit data from multiple sources to the PC (radar included)?
As said above it may or may not work. The risk for loss of data from the scanner is great. For the main Nav-system a wired connection preferred
Good luck
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:21   #164

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 wired directly to 4g scanner w/o plotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackedo View Post
1. Forget about the RI10 and plugin the ethernet from the radar into the computer. Off you go!

2. / 3. You can use any router or hub in between if you want to connect more devices to the ethernet. But radar over WiFi is not reliable, might give missing sectors, but often works with me.

You will need the RI10 only if you want to connect a fast heading compass to the radar directly. The ethernet from the radar is just regular ethernet, as any other. Radar will also get an IP address from your DHCP server if available.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 16:02   #165

Boat: Rival 34

Hi,

I have been unable to display 3G radar data using the latest versions of OCPN and radar plugin. Previously, in 2017, with an earlier version of OCPN and the then current radar plugin, I was able to control the radar and display the data in a PPI window as well as on a chart overlay. Unfortunately, I didn't record what versions I was using then. Last summer, in the little time I had available, I was unable to display the 3G radar data in OCPN, again using the then current versions of the software. Now again this summer, I find I have the same problem. I am currently using the latest version of OCPN and radar plugin(5.0).

Since 2017, when I had it working, I have been running OCPN on my M/S Surface using updated versions of Windows 10. With only a single USB port on the computer, I have been using a USB hub to provide additional USB ports (for GPS and AIS data) and an ethernet port for the radar data.

I purchased my Navico 3G in early 2017; it is a 'new' 3G (s/n xxxx4xxx..), but it still has the previous version of the firmware, dated Jul 15 2014. The updated firmware was released in July 2017, which I only recently discovered; I intend to update my 3G firmware as soon as I can.

I seem to have tried everything I can think of get it working. I know my ethernet cable with RJ45 connector works properly, I have tested that. I have tried it with and without setting up a network connection in connection options, but perhaps that is the problem. What protocol, network address, and network port should I be using. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Duncan
Torngat34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, plug, radar