Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2019, 02:04   #166

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torngat34 View Post
Hi,

I have been unable to display 3G radar data using the latest versions of OCPN and radar plugin. Previously, in 2017, with an earlier version of OCPN and the then current radar plugin, I was able to control the radar and display the data in a PPI window as well as on a chart overlay. Unfortunately, I didn't record what versions I was using then. Last summer, in the little time I had available, I was unable to display the 3G radar data in OCPN, again using the then current versions of the software. Now again this summer, I find I have the same problem. I am currently using the latest version of OCPN and radar plugin(5.0).

Since 2017, when I had it working, I have been running OCPN on my M/S Surface using updated versions of Windows 10. With only a single USB port on the computer, I have been using a USB hub to provide additional USB ports (for GPS and AIS data) and an ethernet port for the radar data.

I purchased my Navico 3G in early 2017; it is a 'new' 3G (s/n xxxx4xxx..), but it still has the previous version of the firmware, dated Jul 15 2014. The updated firmware was released in July 2017, which I only recently discovered; I intend to update my 3G firmware as soon as I can.

I seem to have tried everything I can think of get it working. I know my ethernet cable with RJ45 connector works properly, I have tested that. I have tried it with and without setting up a network connection in connection options, but perhaps that is the problem. What protocol, network address, and network port should I be using. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Duncan
Ran mine yesterday and appear to be having the same issues with O5 and new Radar plug in. Last working was ver O4.8.

Win 7 Pro, Intel 3010 OpenGL, Lowrance 3G

I will take my laptop to the boat with older version loaded and see if I can confirm, Won't be until weekend.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 11:16   #167

Boat: Najad 34

Duncan..
Pls see my notes below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torngat34 View Post
Hi,

I have been unable to display 3G radar data using the latest versions of OCPN and radar plugin. Previously, in 2017, with an earlier version of OCPN and the then current radar plugin, I was able to control the radar and display the data in a PPI window as well as on a chart overlay. Unfortunately, I didn't record what versions I was using then. Last summer, in the little time I had available, I was unable to display the 3G radar data in OCPN, again using the then current versions of the software. Now again this summer, I find I have the same problem. I am currently using the latest version of OCPN and radar plugin(5.0).
Just for info I've 3G using Win10, O version 5 and latest radar_pi and it works very good.
If you like the most recent radar_pi it's here: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...ov50-win32.exe
Quote:

Since 2017, when I had it working, I have been running OCPN on my M/S Surface using updated versions of Windows 10. With only a single USB port on the computer, I have been using a USB hub to provide additional USB ports (for GPS and AIS data) and an ethernet port for the radar data.

I purchased my Navico 3G in early 2017; it is a 'new' 3G (s/n xxxx4xxx..), but it still has the previous version of the firmware, dated Jul 15 2014. The updated firmware was released in July 2017, which I only recently discovered; I intend to update my 3G firmware as soon as I can.
With that firmware, Jul 2014, you may try to set the radar type to BR24 in radar_pi. If you manage to update the firmware use radar type 3G
Quote:

I seem to have tried everything I can think of get it working. I know my ethernet cable with RJ45 connector works properly, I have tested that. I have tried it with and without setting up a network connection in connection options, but perhaps that is the problem. What protocol, network address, and network port should I be using. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Duncan
OCPN connection settings has nothing to do with radar_pi. First of all your wired network card in the PC must establish a connection with the radar scanner. Connect the scanner to a network port and before starting OCPN see if windows network is connected. You should get a network connection "without internet". If not check your network card settings. For your internet protocol version 4 use automatic connection, DHCP. If your PC is not connection radar_pi will never work. Also check your firewall although Win10 use to ask for permission.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 09:53   #168

Installed Opencpn 5 on navigatrix but no radar plugin. I can find the plugin in various places. How do I add it to Opencpn? I have a .pkg file downloaded or a v5.0.3-beta3 file. How do I get them into Opencpn so I try out my new navico 4g radar?
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 13:42   #169

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackedo View Post
Installed Opencpn 5 on navigatrix but no radar plugin. I can find the plugin in various places. How do I add it to Opencpn? I have a .pkg file downloaded or a v5.0.3-beta3 file. How do I get them into Opencpn so I try out my new navico 4g radar?
It seems you have a boat and obviously a new navico 4g radar.
Do you have also a computer und if yes which operating system?
These plugins are usually available for Windows, Linux or macOS operating systems. You will need the one for your operating system.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 16:30   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
It seems you have a boat and obviously a new navico 4g radar.
Do you have also a computer und if yes which operating system?
These plugins are usually available for Windows, Linux or macOS operating systems. You will need the one for your operating system.
I have a Valiant 40 Cutter (see avatar) and a Panasonic CF-30 laptop running Navigatrix as I stated. Navigatrix is based on Ubuntu 14.04 I think.
Perhaps 14.04 is too old for the new plug-in?
Doek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 01:24   #171

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
I have a Valiant 40 Cutter (see avatar) and a Panasonic CF-30 laptop running Navigatrix as I stated. Navigatrix is based on Ubuntu 14.04 I think.
Perhaps 14.04 is too old for the new plug-in?
If you are sure to have running Ubuntu 14.04 try to find the plugin version for this OS. Otherwise make a question in Navigatrix.net - A Voyager's Companion • Support
I cannot help more.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 02:27   #172

Quote:
I've no experience of Naviatrix and rather limited on Linux. But:
The .pkg installer package is for MacOS so not for you.
If the ppa installation routine is possible for Navigatrix you may try that. See: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/radarPI.html
The v5.0.0-beta3 is not yet available for ppa installation but the official version would work fine on your 4G.
Old 17-08-2019, 05:30   #173

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenhh View Post
UPDATE - changing GarminxHDControl.cpp and comment line 228->230 seems to fix the issue.

case CT_BEARING_ALIGNMENT: {
//if (value < 0) {
// value += 360;
//}
Hi Stenhh, incorporated your change in code for Garmin xHD. Before we get a report that it also doesn't work on Garmin HD, I am keeping the similar code on HD.

See https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/issues/118
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 08:34   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
Hi Stenhh, incorporated your change in code for Garmin xHD. Before we get a report that it also doesn't work on Garmin HD, I am keeping the similar code on HD.

See https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/issues/118
Hans commented on the github issue that Stenhh, and he has a good point. Stenhh has a xHD2 whereas Hans reports that the old code worked fine with xHD. For now we're going with the new code, but could all Garmin xHD (and HD) users please check whether the bearing offset works for them?
Old 17-08-2019, 13:49   #175

Radar plugin v5.0.3 released

We've just released a minor production release update, v5.0.3. This reflects that we've had no significant bug reports on v5.0.3-beta3, and our own testing shows high reliability, good performance etc. (but of course we're by now blind for any deficiencies...)

As before, the plugin currently supports Garmin HD, xHD, Navico 3G, 4G and HALO radars.

Besides some minor logging updates this updates bearing offset for Garmin xHD only, compared to 5.0.3-beta3.

With this release done we believe we are done for the 5.0 cycle.
As of now we don't have significant new functionality planned other than keeping up with OpenCPN releases. We are also waiting for (semi-)developers that own a Raymarine, Garmin Fantom or Furuno radar to show up.

The Windows, macOS and source code versions can be found at: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...ses/tag/v5.0.3. I've asked Pavel to make this available in the PPA, so this should be available for Debian/Ubuntu soon.

Any issues can be reported at https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/issues -- this is also the place to report if you want to contribute by adding support for a radar that we don't support yet.

Håkan
Douwe
Kees
Old 18-08-2019, 05:57   #176

Boat: Rival 34

Thank you Hakan. Re your resonse posting 15-08-2019, we have been off sailing for the past few days, only getting a chance to get back to you now.

I checked, my "Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4)" is set to "DHCP enabled" to obtain IP addresses automatically; so that seems to be okay. However, the message I see for the ethernet network identification is "Unidentified network no internet". After running Windows network diagnostic/troubleshooting tool, I get the following message: "'Ethernet 2' doesn't have a valid IP configuration Not fixed".

Any thoughts?

Duncan
Torngat34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 07:09   #177

Duncan..
The "Unidentified network no internet" is good enough. Now try O version 5.x and radar_pi 5.x. Enable the plugin and in plugin preferences and select radar type. For old 3G check BR24. Then go back to O chart view and if necessary right click in O chart window and "Show radar"

Any luck now to find the radar?
Old 18-08-2019, 07:42   #178

Hakan,

I have O 5.0.0 running with radar pi v5.0.3-beta-ov50 enabled, radar type BR24 selected. Right clicking in O, then clicking 'Show radar' in O brings up two windows.

One shows: radar_pi etc., Navico BR24, Scanning interface 169…, Accelerated Graphics box checked, but not highlighted, and so forth. The second shows the Navico BR24 radar control dialog box, the 'Start/Stop radar' button at the bottom of the list is shown as 'off', but is not highlighted. No radar ppi display window appeared.

Any further suggestions?

Duncan
Old 18-08-2019, 13:02   #179

Duncan..
I'd have checked:
  • Accelerated Graphic - OK. And position and heading are there as well?
  • Just for a test change to radar type 3G
  • Are you sure the network wire plug, RJ45, is correct connected.
  • Power to the radar is connected? Also the thin yellow cable.
  • Is the radar scanner working with a MFD
I've both a 3G and a BR24 myself. Both works fine.
Håkan
Old 18-08-2019, 16:22   #180

Hello Hakan,

Regarding your last response to me:

* Accelerated Graphic - OK. And position and heading are there as well?

GPS position is available, heading by COG (for the present)

* Just for a test change to radar type 3G

I tried both BR24 and 3G individually and together. Individually, neither show a ppi window; when both types are 'checked', I get one ppi window with the message " Navico 3G - No radar, scanning interface 169…."

The 'Start/Stop radar' button in the control dialog window shows 'off', but the frame is not highlighted.

* Are you sure the network wire plug, RJ45, is correct connected.

I am pretty sure the wiring to the RJ45 connector on my cable is correct. I put a second RJ45 connector on the other end of the Ethernet cable that I cut, used a coupler to make it whole again, and did a test on with it on a neighbouring boat that had a recently, professionally installed Navico 4G / Simrad radar display setup. The radar display was normal, so the cable worked fine.

* Power to the radar is connected? Also the thin yellow cable.

Yes, I have coupled the red and yellow jacked wires together.

When I throw my radar circuit breaker switch on, I start seeing activity at the Ethernet port on my USB hub. Also, I see output from Wireshark...but I don't know how to interpret it.

* Is the radar scanner working with a MFD

That is a really good question. I don't know, and I don't have MFD myself. The chap who allowed me to test my cable wasn't interested in me taking away his professionally installed radar display to test my radar, and the local Navico / Simrad et al. sales and service outfit doesn't seem to stock anything! But, it is becoming pretty clear that I have to determine whether my 3G radar is actually working properly.

Thank you, Hakan, for all your time and trouble to help me out with this. Any further suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Duncan

Tags
lease, plug, radar