Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2020, 03:40   #451
Moo

Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus7 View Post

3. Then I decided to measure voltages at RI10 and the scanner end of the cable. There's 13.2 on red and 12.3 on yellow.

Thanks a lot Hakan. The ohm measurement is tough as routing the cable through the tiny crevices of the boat was a torture in itself, to pull everything apart is unthinkable. But what I can do is use a single cable as an extension to where the cable sits and measure one pin at a time. Not the most healthy check, but will show if a certain cable is broken I guess.
I did say cable
Under what conditions did you measure the voltages on red and yellow? Why are they different? Yellow is just the remote switch so shouldn't matter but if it is hooked up to the same supply as the red it should read the same.

To do the continuity checks you don't need a long wire. Use what is already there. Short two pins together (say 1 & 2 ) and measure the loop. Move the short to pins 1 & 3 and measure again etc..
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 04:06   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
I did say cable

Under what conditions did you measure the voltages on red and yellow? Why are they different? Yellow is just the remote switch so shouldn't matter but if it is hooked up to the same supply as the red it should read the same.

To do the continuity checks you don't need a long wire. Use what is already there. Short two pins together (say 1 & 2 ) and measure the loop. Move the short to pins 1 & 3 and measure again etc..
I honestly don't know why they r different as I hooked them together on the 5A switch on the panel. Furthermore, the Simrad help pages state voltage below 12.5 as their first culprit on the troubleshooting page; could that be the reason for the "no detection" ? Yet I did the tests all connected to shore power on the continuous charge cycle of the Victron battery charger.

Great tip for a novice cable tester btw, thank you But as one tip is a factory pressed RJ45 that I don't want to break open, again will be a delicate & arduous test...
Odysseus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:18   #453

Boat: Ovni 385

Support for Raymarine radar.

I am currently working on the integration of the RMradar_pi into radar_pi. Supported Raymarine radars are the analog radars working through an Raymarine C/E Series Classic display (plotter). When finished, all features of radar_pi such as true motion images, true and relative trails, separate dockable radar window and full 100 target ARPA and MARPA will be available to users of these radars. In the current stage of development some hands-on testing would facilitate the development. Is there someone that could make such a radar temporarily available for this development? Or provide me access to his radar for testing in the Netherlands?

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 10:29   #454

Quote:
I honestly don't know why they r different as I hooked them together on the 5A switch on the panel. Furthermore, the Simrad help pages state voltage below 12.5 as their first culprit on the troubleshooting page; could that be the reason for the "no detection" ? Yet I did the tests all connected to shore power on the continuous charge cycle of the Victron battery charger.

Great tip for a novice cable tester btw, thank you But as one tip is a factory pressed RJ45 that I don't want to break open, again will be a delicate & arduous test...
OK, so I got to work on it again.

1. Switched the yellow cable on the RI10 to port with the red one on the red port, as advised by the Simrad troubleshooting guide.

2. Switched off both the antivirus and the firewall.

3. Took everything apart and put it back together.

4. Tried taking ohm measurements, nearly impossible to hit the right pin on the RJ45 end of the cable. Couldn't get a single reading.

To sum up, sadly nothing worked.
Old 19-07-2020, 12:46   #455
Moo

Quote:
OK, so I got to work on it again.

1. Switched the yellow cable on the RI10 to port with the red one on the red port, as advised by the Simrad troubleshooting guide.

2. Switched off both the antivirus and the firewall.

3. Took everything apart and put it back together.

4. Tried taking ohm measurements, nearly impossible to hit the right pin on the RJ45 end of the cable. Couldn't get a single reading.

To sum up, sadly nothing worked.
4. That's likely your problem. If you cant see continuity on the network cable you have a problem.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 05:38   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
4. That's likely your problem. If you cant see continuity on the network cable you have a problem.
Sadly the problem is with the scanner

A Navico technician came with a spare cable, an RI10 and a plug & play Simrad MFD to test.

First time we tried, it connected straightaway. He said there are no problems; made a few adjustments to the scanner settings and left.

He initially said that the problems I had were due to IP problems. To alleviate that, I put the mac of the scanner on a static IP on the router.

However; after he left, I kept having the same problems and called him back. To get to the root of it, tested with his own cable and MFD direct from the scanner; and the MFD couldn't ever capture the scanner - always got the "no scanner" message; but there were no error messages either.

Tried again after deleting the static IP setting on the router and putting the scanner on DHCP, similar to all others. Again, no connection. Tried to see if OpenCPN could wake the scanner up; didn't work.

Strange thing is, when I pinged the intended static IP from the PC; the destination host never answered but no packets were lost either; all were returned.

The technician said that the problem seems to be with the ethernet output; and that the unit might have "locked its ethernet" as he put it - which he said is a very serious problem. He added that as long as we can't reach the scanner; no chances of re-installing the firmware on it either. The beauty of Windows CE

The most unfortunate thing here is that it's a used radar out of warranty.

Thought of this today after the technician took the scanner away yesterday. The router serves on the 192... IP block while the scanner has an inherent 169... IP setting. With my rather limited knowledge, I'm wondering; if I changed the router setting to serving on a range that includes the scanner's inherent IP, do you think that could solve the problem?

I accept that this malfunction doesn't have anything to do with OpenCPN or the Radar Plugin; but wanted to ask others here if they've come across anything similar; or any advice they might have.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 24-07-2020, 07:40   #457

I'm only posting here as a follow-up in case a fellow sailor has a similar problem. If Admin feels this part of the thread is unrelated to OpenCPN and/or Radar Pi; please feel free to move or delete it.

The Navico technician solved the problem by changing a part of the board; the part that has the outgoing RJ45 component.

Now the PC captures the network every time it comes on and the plugin scans just fine.

Furthermore, succeeded in relaying the compass data from the autopilot's compass to the PC, so now I can also overlay on the map.

So far so good, let's see if it stays that way.

Again, thanks to all who helped.
Old 24-07-2020, 10:51   #458

Boat: Najad 34

Good solution report.
Happy sailing also in fog.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:12   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan;3182181
Once you've get the heading and other signals, like GPS, to OCPN make a connection in OCPN to output to a network connection as UDP e.g. port 10110 and you can use that on every other app on the PC or other things connected to the wifi router, if used. In that way you can let OCPN take care of all serials and spread it out via network to other apps and devices. OCPN is a very powerful multiplexer.
Håkan
Hello, now that I seem to have all in order, now the task for me is to get the heading, GPS and AIS data that are coming via USB to OCPN on to the PC Plotter, which has the Navionics map. I plan to use OpenCPN and PC Plotter at the same time on the two monitors.

Consequently I need to "split/duplicate/forward" the three incoming connections.

Yesterday I tried a COM Port splitter software but the program didn't do the job, gave an error.

It may sound simple to others on this forum, but would be great if you could instruct as to how to do the UDP connections.

Thank you.
Old 27-07-2020, 12:22   #460

Odysseus7..
If OCPN and the PC plotter is on the same network it's easy:

Make a new network, UDP connection.
- Set the new connection to output data.
- Be very sure the new connection will NOT receive input data. (else : a loop back -> crash)
- Use port e.g. 10110
- If your local network is e.g. 191.168.1.0 use 191.168.1.255 as the IP address on the new connection.
- You can filter what to transmit if you like.
- All this relies on your Navionics pgm can handle a network UDP connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IP.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	220132  
Old 27-07-2020, 13:13   #461

Thank you Hakan. OCPN and PC Plotter are running on the very same PC.

Both will be using the same incomimg AIS, GPS and Compass serial data.

You had mentioned that two different apps cannot use the same serial connection: Can they if they are on the same PC?

Furthermore, the Compass data connection also is the autopilot connection; so I need to be able to send commands to the autopilot; which means a two way connection.
Old 27-07-2020, 13:29   #462

Quote:
Thank you Hakan. OCPN and PC Plotter are running on the very same PC.
Quote:
So very easy. No external network is needed. Use localhost
Both will be using the same incomimg AIS, GPS and Compass serial data.
Quote:
Yes, let OCPN broadcast what's coming in
You had mentioned that two different apps cannot use the same serial connection: Can they if they are on the same PC?
Quote:
No, unless you use a virtual serial port program.
Furthermore, the Compass data connection also is the autopilot connection; so I need to be able to send commands to the autopilot; which means a two way connection.
You can always use another serial/USB connection for the AP. But if it's the same line as the heading you can also send out on that. Set the filter to output only ECxxx.

Read more here:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ng:connections
Old 27-07-2020, 13:30   #463

BTW: The above is not much about radars as this thread is meant for.
Old 28-07-2020, 07:02   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
BTW: The above is not much about radars as this thread is meant for.
I agree, the only reason I had asked the original question here was that I needed to quote your reply to another question I had asked earlier, to inquire about this current problem. Please feel free to move to another forum or delete the unrelated post(s) if you want.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:44   #465

Hi,
I have a faulty Raymarine Quantum Radar from 2017.
It's now off the boat and at home, so it's 160 miles from the MFD.
I'm looking for a Android App to test it, I have Open cpn on and Android Table which I use as a back-up to the Raymarine system.
Will the Radar_pi plugin allow me to run the radar so I can test it in the absence of a Raymarine MFD?
Or
Is there any other android app I can use to test the Quantum in the absence of a MFD?
Cheers
Ian
Ian_Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, plug, radar