Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 00:48   #46

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

A new feature in this radar_pi 5.0 release is the possibility to “Look forward” or “Look aft” in the radar window (PPI). Additionally the contents of the PPI window can now be dragged and zoomed with the mouse. I guess you have found out how this function works, but a little explanation might be useful.

In the menu under the “View” button you will see the “PPI Forward Aft View” button. This button will alternate the view from Center view to Forward view and Aft view.

In each of these three views the mouse-wheel will will change the range of the radar. But you can also drag the picture in the PPI window with the mouse. This is useful to look at the outer parts of the radar image. And after the first dragging, the function of the mouse-wheel has changed. The mouse-wheel will no longer change the range of the radar, but will zoom the image. This allows you to get more detail in specifically the outer parts of the image. When you want more detail in the inner part of the image you would decrease the range of the radar. For the outer parts you can now zoom the image. There is no limit on this zoom, you can make the whole image smaller, so that it will fit a small dock, or zoom in to a pixel level.

With the “PPI Forward Aft View” button, you reset the dragging and zoom, and the mouse-wheel will have its original function (range) again.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 22:31   #47
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hello Merrimac and all,

Sorry for the delay, I hadn't noticed the updated code notice.

You guys are brilliant! Halo detection works reliably! I've tried to confuse it by turning on the MFD and then O or the other way round and I have always been able to use either one to control the radar, nice work!

There is one odd thing, I don't know if it was like this before or not as I was focused on the detection. The plus and minus scale buttons are opposite to what they are on the MFD. In other words on the MFD when you hit "+", it magnifies more (goes from 2 miles to 1 mile for example) and in OpenCPN, "+" magnifies less (goes from 1 mile range to 2 mile range) . I can get used to it if that it the way it is usually defined in O, but if it is backwards by accident I thought you should know.

Thanks again, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 11:18   #48

Thanks for the radar pi setup a wired conection today, connected to the Halo in seconds without any other setup. Everything worked only downside is I am on Rpi3 Openplotter and find that when I enable OpenGl my setup become slow and everything take time to load, zoom open options everythig.
Is there a way to fix this?
Then I see there is a Dopler setting that I don't have in the Simrad Radar settings itself how and when do one use this settings?
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 05:30   #49

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Hello Merrimac and all,
There is one odd thing, I don't know if it was like this before or not as I was focused on the detection. The plus and minus scale buttons are opposite to what they are on the MFD. In other words on the MFD when you hit "+", it magnifies more (goes from 2 miles to 1 mile for example) and in OpenCPN, "+" magnifies less (goes from 1 mile range to 2 mile range) . I can get used to it if that it the way it is usually defined in O, but if it is backwards by accident I thought you should know.
Hi Eric, yes I noticed as well, and already had this on my mental list to check against the "chart" zoom buttons. I need a few days for access to my radar to check this.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 05:48   #50

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanm View Post
Thanks for the radar pi setup a wired conection today, connected to the Halo in seconds without any other setup. Everything worked only downside is I am on Rpi3 Openplotter and find that when I enable OpenGl my setup become slow and everything take time to load, zoom open options everythig.
Then I see there is a Dopler setting that I don't have in the Simrad Radar settings itself how and when do one use this settings?
I don't use rpi myself but I think Håkan does, maybe he has an idea.i would ask this in a new thread so the other rpi users can weigh in.

Doppler is called Velocity Track by Navico. If you don't have this you may need to upgrade to new MFD software and/or buy the Velocity Track unlock code. See https://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/nb-N...velocitytrack/

The plug-in doesn't yet know how to detect whether a HALO has Velocity Track so it just assumes it does.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 07:18   #51

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
I don't have a RADAR to test with anymore, but in order to use OpenGL on the Rpi OpenPlotter you need to update, then enable the experimental VC4 driver.

do the following:
in a terminal window:
$sudo rpi-update
$sudo reboot

$sudo apt update
$sudo apt upgrade
$sudo reboot

then in:
Prefrences->Old Raspi-Config->Advanced Options->GL Driver
select GL (fake KMS) OpenGL
reboot

This will make OpenCPN run much faster with less CPU usage.
It's not perfect, but the best OpenGL option I have found for the Rpi.
I'd be interested to hear how the RADAR PI works with those changes.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:33   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I don't have a RADAR to test with anymore, but in order to use OpenGL on the Rpi OpenPlotter you need to update, then enable the experimental VC4 driver.

do the following:
in a terminal window:
$sudo rpi-update
$sudo reboot

$sudo apt update
$sudo apt upgrade
$sudo reboot

then in:
Prefrences->Old Raspi-Config->Advanced Options->GL Driver
select GL (fake KMS) OpenGL
reboot

This will make OpenCPN run much faster with less CPU usage.
It's not perfect, but the best OpenGL option I have found for the Rpi.
I'd be interested to hear how the RADAR PI works with those changes.
Thanks wil give it a try next week and let you know.
Old 22-04-2019, 22:16   #53

Quote:
Thanks wil give it a try next week and let you know.
Thanks I did what you suggested and it work just fine for me using Halo
Old 23-04-2019, 02:11   #54

Boat: Friendship 28

Hi,

I started a new threat cause I have some (minor) troubles with the AIS-rollover window when using the ppi window. If the ppi window is hidden all worked fine. With the ppi window the AIS-rollover-window is grafical corrupted and the information is wrong.

I wrote it here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3g-217179.html

Maybe some of you guys have some ideas what more I can do.

Thanks and regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 09:13   #55

Hi All,

So the tips earlier in this tread have helped in getting my (old) 3G radar to work with OpenCPN. Thanks for that!

As overlay on the charts in the main window the radar works flawless. All fuctions including ARPA work. Only when I open the PPI window, this window freezes, the radar image within the PPI windows either does not show or shows once at opening and does not refresh. In the main screen as overlay on the charts the radar keeps working.

Not a blocking issue as I'm able to use the radar as overlay on the charts but I guess this is the right place to give this feedback?
HugoGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 14:41   #56

Boat: Najad 34

HugoGr...
If you're on OCPN v 5.0 you may want to try this updated of radar_pi version and check if it makes a change: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/releases
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 00:00   #57

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoGr View Post
Hi All,

Only when I open the PPI window, this window freezes, the radar image within the PPI windows either does not show or shows once at opening and does not refresh.

Hugo,

What kind of system are you using? Windows or Unix, version please. And which video controller is in your system?

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 14:01   #58

When I zoom out and get to a 12mile radar range the overlay does not keep to the heading but go to totaly wrong overlay approximately 180 degrees out
Old 24-04-2019, 14:42   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
Hugo,

What kind of system are you using? Windows or Unix, version please. And which video controller is in your system?

Douwe Fokkema
Hi Douwe I’m running openCPN on a macbook pro with Mojave installed. Video controller is part off the operating system. Nothing fancy There i guess.

I’m running the radar over wifi with a minimum set bandwith of 10mb/s to accommodate the broadband signal of the radar. But that does not seem to be the root cause as the problem also occurs when the mac is plugged in via a network czble in the router and wifi is turned off within the router.

Regards

Hugo
HugoGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 03:10   #60

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
When I zoom out and get to a 12mile radar range the overlay does not keep to the heading but go to totaly wrong overlay approximately 180 degrees out
I've Navico 3G and can't reproduce. Douwe has a 4G. Let's see if he can test.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, plug, radar