Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 13:06   #16

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Re: Raspberry Pi install plugin problems

I didn't mention this earlier, but I have tried to install the Konni Logbook via CLI and this is what i get...

1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 01:51   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Quote:
Originally Posted by blove8 View Post
I didn't mention this earlier, but I have tried to install the Konni Logbook via CLI and this is what i get...

Don't bother to build it or install it. On arm64 it is not possible. I have already tried it and although it builds and installs well when working... it does not work. Some elements of the operating system are missing. Use better the normal 32bit version of Raspi-OS. Not only everything works but there are tricks that improve the user experience that the 64-bit version does not have.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 02:48   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Legende 41
Send a message via Skype™ to jean_pfoumf

@pinguino
I modified .conf and it worked now. Great. Thank you.
jean_pfoumf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 04:14   #19

I have a new SD card on the way and will try the 32-bit on that one. Will report back findings. Cheers!
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 25-12-2020, 06:19   #20

Quote:
I have a new SD card on the way and will try the 32-bit on that one. Will report back findings. Cheers!
If you are going to use a new SD I strongly recommend you to use Openplotter, if you don't know it.

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

It's the fastest and most powerful method to turn the Rpi into a navigation center.
Old 25-12-2020, 06:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
If you are going to use a new SD I strongly recommend you to use Openplotter, if you don't know it.

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

It's the fastest and most powerful method to turn the Rpi into a navigation center.
I have heard of OpenPlotter but hadn’t looked into it or compared it to OpenCPN. How is it better than OpenCPN?

This is all new to me and I have kinda just been going where the wind blows me. I’ll check it out more now that you mention it.
Old 25-12-2020, 09:26   #22

Quote:
I have heard of OpenPlotter but hadn’t looked into it or compared it to OpenCPN. How is it better than OpenCPN?

This is all new to me and I have kinda just been going where the wind blows me. I’ll check it out more now that you mention it.
It is easy to confuse opencpn with openplotter. In my opinion the choice of the name openplotter induces confusion. But to clarify the matter a little I will say that opencpn is a tool while openplotter is a set of tools that includes among them opencpn.

If you install openplotter you will automatically have opencpn installed, along with its installation sources as well as other valuable tools for navigation like XyGrib for weather forecast, the Signal k server to process navigation data, filter it and convert it into different formats and send it through the wifi network, as well as a good handful of tools already installed or very easy to install that allow you to obtain data from sensors such as electronic compasses, barometers, temperature and humidity sensors, etc.

The best thing is that you take a look at the openplotter documentation page that I put to you so that you get an idea of its possibilities. There you also have the links to download it. It contains everything that Raspi-OS official contains plus the navigation aids already installed. That saves time and makes it easy to use.
Old 25-12-2020, 09:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
But to clarify the matter a little I will say that opencpn is a tool while openplotter is a set of tools that includes among them opencpn.
Well then, OpenPlotter seems the obvious choice when stated as you have here. I will try it for my next install. Thanks for spreading your knowledge, pinguino.

I’ve seen some videos using Node-RED and Grafana and would like to create some custom data, data-visualization, and dashboards using those too. It’s all quite new to me, but the possibilities are exciting.
Old 28-12-2020, 21:33   #24

I've installed OpenPlotter and have it setup with my GPS USB puck and a temp/pressure/humidity sensor. I've been able to utlize VNC viewer from my laptop which is nice. I've also setup a WiFi access point so that I can connect with my tablet and display the signal k instrument panel. Everything is working very well.

I'm currently in the process of exploring the weather routing plugin and just getting familiar with OpenCPN and all of its facets. There's a lot to learn, but a lot of fun and it's satisfying to have access to such powerful tools.
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 29-12-2020, 00:27   #25

Quote:
I've installed OpenPlotter and have it setup with my GPS USB puck and a temp/pressure/humidity sensor. I've been able to utlize VNC viewer from my laptop which is nice. I've also setup a WiFi access point so that I can connect with my tablet and display the signal k instrument panel. Everything is working very well.

I'm currently in the process of exploring the weather routing plugin and just getting familiar with OpenCPN and all of its facets. There's a lot to learn, but a lot of fun and it's satisfying to have access to such powerful tools.
I'm glad it's been useful and fun for you.

Best regards.
Old 29-12-2020, 22:48   #26

I've run into an issue that I can't seem to find a solution for. It may be easy, it's just that I'm not all that familiar with the tools yet.

I have created a temperature graph in Grafana which takes the BME280 data pushed from SignalK into InfluxDB.. unfortunately the units within the graph is in Kelvin rather than Fahrenheit as I'd like. It was easy to edit the unit of measurement in the SignalK dashboard, but it isn't immediately evident how I can push that unit of measurement to the InfluxDB, instead of the Kelvin measurement. Any ideas on where I should make the conversion?
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 29-12-2020, 23:14   #27

Use the math function in the query feeding the dashboard
Quote:
I've run into an issue that I can't seem to find a solution for. It may be easy, it's just that I'm not all that familiar with the tools yet.

I have created a temperature graph in Grafana which takes the BME280 data pushed from SignalK into InfluxDB.. unfortunately the units within the graph is in Kelvin rather than Fahrenheit as I'd like. It was easy to edit the unit of measurement in the SignalK dashboard, but it isn't immediately evident how I can push that unit of measurement to the InfluxDB, instead of the Kelvin measurement. Any ideas on where I should make the conversion?
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 23:22   #28

I had the same problem but with the difference that here, in Europe, we use the metric standard instead of the imperial one.

The Kelvin scale is a kind of standard for temperature measurements in the scientific and technological field. Therefore, it is quite normal that in graphana it is used as the basic unit.

Fortunately for me, the kelvin scale and the celsius scale move at the same level so I only need to use the math function and add the correction of -273.16 degrees of the kelvin scale to the measure. In your case I think you will need to apply the appropriate logarithm to achieve the conversion since the kelvin scale and the farenheith scale do not move at the same level but it is differential. But I'm sure that by doing some research on the Internet you will find the right mathematical function to achieve the conversion.
Old 30-12-2020, 00:02   #29

You guys are so great, thanks so much for the tip!

"*1.8-459.67" did the trick.
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 06-07-2022, 15:04   #30

Quote:
Thanks for this, pinguino, it partially helped. It did allow the plugin manager to show additional plugins and I was able to add a couple of those (such as Watchdog), but I was unable to find several plugins in that list, such as the Logbook Konni Plugin. It is still listed in the OpenCPN Installer list and stated as managed by OpenCPN.
I've had the same problem after updating opencpn from 5.5.1 to 5.6.x
Actually what seemed to work is the contrary.
I edited opencpn.conf and deleted the versions, so I just let the fields empty
CompatOS=
CompatOsVersion=
Now I have a full list of pluggins.

I also trried deleting the opencpn.conf and it also worked but that's not very convenient as you lose all your configuration setups.
ray122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug, plugin