Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 15:08   #46

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: Raspberry PI - Installing OpenCPN Version 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanm View Post
Does not work for me any other way

Did you fill in the name of the acces point with minimal 8 characters ?

It works on every system I have used.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 23:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Did you fill in the name of the acces point with minimal 8 characters ?

It works on every system I have used.

Regards,

Bram
Get the acces point to work but strugle to get conected to internet
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 23:14   #48

When I updated Openplotter now the screen is not filled tp the edge of the screen and text is very big cant see the borders of a window to close it. When I change screen resolution i have to reboot for settings to take effect. What if settings is wrong and it does not recognize the screen how do i get it back to default setfings
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:24   #49

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Legende 41
Send a message via Skype™ to jean_pfoumf

I increased GPU memory to 256 and things are getting a little faster (should say less slowly but this issue is coming from GL drivers).
I have a problem switching between maps.
I created a group with : CM93, one .kap and one MBTiles.
No problem changing between .kap or CM93.
But if .MBTiles is on the screen, nothing happens if I click on another map. I need to click again on the .MBTiles which is then marked as hidden (red X) to be able to see the other one.
Is it the normal use ?
jean_pfoumf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:35   #50

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Legende 41
Send a message via Skype™ to jean_pfoumf

Switching from mbtiles : same behaviour with W7.
jean_pfoumf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:21   #51

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

The problem I reported earlier about no CPA lines being drawn was a problem wih my configuration. Sorry about that.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:25   #52

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37

I want to hire someone to coach me to write a Pi app for my boat. It needs to read and write to the NMEA 2K bus and get some data from my Vesper. Everyone on this thread seems capable of doing it, but do any of you know someone who is willing to work on *my* problems?

I bought a Pi a year ago and fumbled with it for several weeks, eventually getting so lost in low level Linux details that it wasn't worth my time. I have advanced degrees in CS, but haven't used Linux for decades.
capnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:35   #53

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnJ View Post
I want to hire someone to coach me to write a Pi app for my boat. It needs to read and write to the NMEA 2K bus and get some data from my Vesper. Everyone on this thread seems capable of doing it, but do any of you know someone who is willing to work on *my* problems?
If you are trying to set up the Vesper w/OCPN, then I believe the software already exists https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...re:ais_devices

If that isn't your problem, then maybe be a little clearer what your software problems are would be helpful.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:54   #54

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnJ View Post

I bought a Pi a year ago and fumbled with it for several weeks, eventually getting so lost in low level Linux details that it wasn't worth my time. I have advanced degrees in CS, but haven't used Linux for decades.

Do you use OpenPlotter ? In Openplotter there is the SignalK/Canboat server included.

OpenCPN can only use NMEA183 just as every other computer.

But with the right instructions I can use an usb-can converter to transfer NMEA2000 to NMEA183.

OpenPlotter is selling one. But I have a small board called Canable and this works here. There is also a convertor from Actisense.

But you have to do some settings to get it working.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 02:11   #55

Guys, i love raspberry pi and that sounds like a fantastic project to occupy hours of time setting it up but in my opinion raspberry pi belongs on the workshop bench or running (badly) a home entertainment system. It definitely does not belong as a primary navigation system on a boat. Not suitable!
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 02:43   #56
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryf View Post
Guys, i love raspberry pi and that sounds like a fantastic project to occupy hours of time setting it up but in my opinion raspberry pi belongs on the workshop bench or running (badly) a home entertainment system. It definitely does not belong as a primary navigation system on a boat. Not suitable!
Been running one onboard in the real world for years. Software loads itself, doesn't take hours to set up. A little thought of where to put it to keep it dry and off you go. Does FAR more out of the box than any other one stop software i know of. Mine runs 24 hours a day all year round, provides signalk of nav data plus attery volts/amps, various thermometers and pressure. All written to a database for easy plotting. Runs all music and web streaming through a hifi berry amp, listen to live radio or download weather faxes with a fun cube dongle reciever. All for a fraction of an amp.
It works and keeps on working, cheap enough to have a complete spare stashed away.
You may think its not suitqble not having any experience but in the real world it's proving itself to be well man enough for the job.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 03:38   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Been running one onboard in the real world for years. Software loads itself, doesn't take hours to set up. A little thought of where to put it to keep it dry and off you go. Does FAR more out of the box than any other one stop software i know of. Mine runs 24 hours a day all year round, provides signalk of nav data plus attery volts/amps, various thermometers and pressure. All written to a database for easy plotting. Runs all music and web streaming through a hifi berry amp, listen to live radio or download weather faxes with a fun cube dongle reciever. All for a fraction of an amp.
It works and keeps on working, cheap enough to have a complete spare stashed away.
You may think its not suitqble not having any experience but in the real world it's proving itself to be well man enough for the job.
Did your pi tell you I have no experience? Probably needs a reboot ��
I'm off across the Pacific so I can't take chances relying on a reboot to take care of things while I'm busy navigating the pass into an atoll. If I daysailed the same areas all the time I'd definitely play with a pi, but in the "real world"..nah!
Raspberry pi is just a toy. You stay in the play pen.
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 03:53   #58
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
but in the "real world"..nah!
You forgot to add IMHO.......

Maybe a quick read of the forum rules would be a good idea as well..
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

Quote:
Be Courteous!
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 04:08   #59

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Did your pi tell you I have no experience? Probably needs a reboot ��
I'm off across the Pacific so I can't take chances relying on a reboot to take care of things while I'm busy navigating the pass into an atoll. If I daysailed the same areas all the time I'd definitely play with a pi, but in the "real world"..nah!

Um, if you need a computer to safely navigate a pass into an atoll then I can understand your position. But few sailors i know need a computer for that.

Without getting into snarkiness I just want to say that several (most?) commercial navigation systems have to be rebooted or get locked up on occasion. I had a Garmin GPS unit that locked up whenever we visited BVI. Garmin knew the cause already when I asked for their help. It was a bug in their WAAS implementation.

I think if one has taken the time to learn how the Pi and Linux work then recovering from a software fault will be much faster. Not only that, there are tools for diagnosing the fault and an entire developer community that will be happy to learn about and help prevent such faults in the future. What commercial product gets developer attention when we have to power cycle it once in a while? None that I know of.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 05:30   #60

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Been running one onboard in the real world for years. Software loads itself, doesn't take hours to set up. A little thought of where to put it to keep it dry and off you go. Does FAR more out of the box than any other one stop software i know of. Mine runs 24 hours a day all year round, provides signalk of nav data plus battery volts/amps, various thermometers and pressure. All written to a database for easy plotting. Runs all music and web streaming through a hifi berry amp, listen to live radio or download weather faxes with a fun cube dongle receiver. All for a fraction of an amp.
You may think its not suitable not having any experience but in the real world it's proving itself to be well man enough for the job.

Will 100% agree the pi works great for multi use on board and if you haven't tried it don't knock it. We keep our nav pi and AP pi separate from the media pi, but again cheap enough to have several onboard.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn