Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 08:20   #61

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: Raymarine radar plugin for OpenCPN

More testers needed for RMradar integration in radar_pi.

I have come a long way with the integration of the Raymarine E120 / E80 connected analogue radar in radar_pi. I do not have such a radar myself. We would like to have some more testing resources. Is there someone willing to participate in the testing? Requirements are access to an E120 / E80 (or equivalent) MFD with a radar. To the MFD a PC with OpenCPN on it should be connected by Ethernet.

I also want to investigate how much different the interface of the new Quantum II radar is compared with the earlier models. Is there someone that could make a Wireshark recording of a short session with a Quantum II?
A PC with Wireshark (free to download) should be connected by WiFi or Ethernet to the Raymarine network, start Wireshark and run the radar.

Afterwards save the file from Wireshark and get it to me. That's all.

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 16:20   #62

Boat: Southerly 42 RST

I have the required equipment, E120 and E80 as well as an analog RM radar, not sure if model number but circa 2007. Unfortunately I am travelling and won't be able to get back to the boat until Oct 1. If I can help then please let me know.
mmcshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 12:32   #63

Hi Guys,

I know I'm late to the party here but just wanted to offer that I'm running OpenCPN 5.2.4 on a Mac with a Quantum Wifi & Ethernet dome hooked into an axiom 9 rv.

If I can be of any help in testing a Mac release on the quantum, let me know.

I'm in the middle of a full refit so plenty of opportunity to rewire and play around with new ideas.
DaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 03:17   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRed View Post
Hi Guys,

I know I'm late to the party here but just wanted to offer that I'm running OpenCPN 5.2.4 on a Mac with a Quantum Wifi & Ethernet dome hooked into an axiom 9 rv.

I'm in the middle of a full refit so plenty of opportunity to rewire and play around with new ideas.
Welcome, we like your support, will contact you by mail.

Douwe Fokkema
Old 23-12-2020, 08:26   #65

Hi, we are building an autonomous vessel and we would like help inegrating ARPA/MARPA/Doppler from radars. We can buy a radar you suggest to help opencpn. Thanks
isarafis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 10:53   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarafis View Post
Hi, we are building an autonomous vessel and we would like help inegrating ARPA/MARPA/Doppler from radars. We can buy a radar you suggest to help opencpn. Thanks
If you want a Raymarine Quantum radar, there is some work to be done. We are almost ready now with the older Raymarine analog radars, connected through a E series Classic display to Ethernet. We will bring out a beta release of the radar plugin soon, including this radar. I am looking for partners to implement the Quantum radar, we don't yet have access to such a unit.
However if you just want a radar in OpenCPN now, various models of Navico are already fully integrated, including MARPA and ARPA and some Doppler support. For this you need the Radar plugin for OpenCPN. Some Garmin radars are also supported.

Douwe Fokkema
Old 23-12-2020, 22:27   #67

Hi Douwe Fokkema and thanks for reply,

do you know which supported models have ARPA/MARPA/Doppler? Is these functions supported by the plugin or by the radar itself?

Prof.Elias Sarafis
isarafis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 00:39   #68

Boat: Najad 34

Elias..
You may want to read more about the radar_pi plugin here: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/wiki

The (M)ARPA function in radar_pi is developed at the plugin itself independent of used scanner type. Course and speed is calculated and presented by OCPN using the same functions as for AIS targets.

The Doppler function is a radar scanner feature for the Navico Halo types used by radar_pi to indicate approaching or estranging targets.

The relative trial function in radar_pi would also be a doppler alike effect to see how targets are moving relative own ship. That's a pure visual treat though.

Håkan
Quote:
True/Relative trails
Click to toggle between True/Relative. True will obviously show trails from positions where the target has been. Relative will show target movements relative your own ship during the stated time; A target in front you at the same speed and heading will though get no trail. If you are running faster the trail will show a target moving towards yourself. Also static targets like marks and shore will get a trail since relative your own ship they are moving opposite your heading. Try it! Sometimes it's informative, sometimes disturbing.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 01:57   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRed View Post
Hi Guys,

Yes, we are interested in your cooperation. I have sent you a private mail. But you can also contact me directly at: df at percussion.nl

Douwe Fokkema
Old 27-12-2020, 09:32   #70

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

The 5.2.0-beta2 release is now online, see https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-244353.html
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 13:50   #71

HI guys, im trying to connect openCPN with a raymarine quantum2 radar but i still can't get it. I have a windows pc with openCPN and configured switch, each one with 10.0.0.0/11 IPs range asigned through DHCP. Could anyone help me, please?
Lorenzo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 21:20   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1991 View Post
HI guys, im trying to connect openCPN with a raymarine quantum2 radar but i still can't get it. I have a windows pc with openCPN and configured switch, each one with 10.0.0.0/11 IPs range asigned through DHCP. Could anyone help me, please?
You need beta version 5.3.0 of the plugin to work with Quantum
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-258745.html
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 10:09   #73

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Hi all,

I have a working Raytheon RL70 on my boat, and if I understand the radar_pi manual, it seems like I might be able to make it work with OpenCPN.

Seems like the main way to make it work would be via the HSB port which was intended to connect a second display. I noticed a mention of adapter cards earlier in this thread, but I didn't find anything for sale.

Any one knows how I can connect the HSB port to a computer? I have OpenCPN running on a Raspberry Pi too, I can use the GPIO if needed.
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 03:02   #74

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Sorry, but the HSB or HSB2 ports have unknown physical and logical network properties.

The only way the plugin can be used if you have a plotter or scanner that has a Raynet or Seatalk hs port. These are both Ethernet based; in the case of Raynet with a waterproof RJ45 connector and in the case of Seatalk hs with a proprietary connector.

Interfacing of the HSB2 port would be a totally new endeavour -- you'd need a digital oscilloscope with memory function to determine what physical mechanism is used (voltages, baud rate) and then you could _maybe_ use some existing interface; given that HSB2 only has 3 wires and terminators, it looks a little like CAN but it must use a high speed as otherwise you can't transmit radar. Or maybe they don't transmit the picture that often?
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 07:12   #75

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

@merrimac

That's unfortunate, I had hoped that someone had already reverse-engineered the protocol, just like regular Seatalk. Thank you for the info.
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, marine, opencpn, plug, radar, raymarine