Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 09:53   #1

Boat: Moody 44
Real-time sharing waypoints and routes on 2 devices?

Is there a way to share the waypoints created on one device with another in real-time?
I know how to export/import routes and waypoints in OCPN but what I'd like to be able to do is share a common waypoints/routes file over WiFi in order to enable me to do passage planning on my Nav station OCPN computer but follow, and possibly amend, the created route on the cockpit tablet running OCPN Android (without the need to export from one device to another).

I currently achieve this (of a fashion) by running a remote desktop session (RDP or VNC) on the tablet but its a bit slow and with the maturity of the Android OCPN Im sure there must be a better way.
Thanks in advance
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:59   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Real-time sharing waypoints and routes on 2 devices?

Simply use a batch file on both machines to copy the navobj.xml file over.
Make an icon for the batch file on your desktop.

Copy-Routes-AB.bat

Copy \\ComputerA-name\C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml \\ComputerB-name\C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml

Copy-Routes-BA.bat

Copy \\ComputerB-name\C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml \\ComputerA-name\C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 16:59   #3

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

This would be a great feature that is currently not supported. To syncronize routes, tracks and waypoints (and possibly charts) between multiple opencpn sessions over a network.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 18:38   #4

See Tracker
https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2205
Old 08-03-2018, 01:43   #5

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Sean D'Epagnier, Hello affinite,
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
This would be a great feature that is currently not supported. To syncronize routes, tracks and waypoints (and possibly charts) between multiple opencpn sessions over a network.
I asked Mr. Dave Register the same thing last year during the OA 1.0.16 beta tests if I remember correctly.

It would be nice if we could be heard.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:30   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Indeed it would. At the moment I just use filezilla to copy and paste navobj.xml between a Raspberry Pi, laptop and android tablet over wifi. A little plugin would be great to speed things up. Even a little standalone python script would be a big help. Would take me a week to write something the clever guys could do in a few minutes
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 14:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Indeed it would. At the moment I just use filezilla to copy and paste navobj.xml between a Raspberry Pi, laptop and android tablet over wifi. A little plugin would be great to speed things up. Even a little standalone python script would be a big help. Would take me a week to write something the clever guys could do in a few minutes
Then you have to restart opencpn!

The idea is the constantly sync routes/waypoints and tracks in realtime, and so no restarting is needed.

What else should be syncronized? Boundaries from the draw plugin? Maybe other stuff? What about charts, and gribs? Too complicated with little usefulness?
Old 08-03-2018, 21:18   #8

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Then you have to restart opencpn!

The idea is the constantly sync routes/waypoints and tracks in realtime, and so no restarting is needed.

What else should be syncronized? Boundaries from the draw plugin? Maybe other stuff? What about charts, and gribs? Too complicated with little usefulness?
It would be enough to transfer the routes, or the tracks, from one terminal to another, in the same way that we transfer NMEA sentences using the wifi.

Every terminal, Windows, or Linux or MAC or Androïïd, should be equipped with a version of OpenCPN.
For example, the terminal of the chart table would be used, during navigation, to modify the route in use.
Once the modifications of the route definitively validated, the transfer of the modified route to the terminal of the cockpit would allow the helmsman to block following the new route.

Would it be possible to create NMEA sentences containing waypoints? Or containing the DR points and the DR boundary?
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:59   #9
Marine Service Provider

Sean, et al...

Technically, a straightforward thing.

1. Create a "Sync" button control somewhere.
2. On "sync" button push, send a UDP message containing routes, etc. as XML. Probably also some private meta data defining source device, etc...
3. Receiving devices can be enabled to accept or ignore "sync" messages. Maybe receivers get a pop-up dialog to "Accept/Ignore"?
4. Think about validation/security....

Nice simple plugin function.

Any new programmers want to try this one out?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:24   #10

FAQ:
How to synchronize Routes, Waypoints & Marks with another computer?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:39   #11

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
3. Receiving devices can be enabled to accept or ignore "sync" messages. Maybe receivers get a pop-up dialog to "Accept/Ignore"?
I don't reckon pop-ups on receiving devices would work very well. If I'm at the chart table editing routes I don't want to have to trawl round all my other devices acknowledging popups every time I confirm a change.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Sean, et al...

Technically, a straightforward thing.

1. Create a "Sync" button control somewhere.
Also the option to automatically sync, so even dragging a waypoint immediately shows up everywhere would be nice.
Quote:

2. On "sync" button push, send a UDP message containing routes, etc. as XML. Probably also some private meta data defining source device, etc...
Why UDP? Should TCP be used for this? We could finally use signalk as well, so other applications can also make use of the tracks/routes and waypoints.

Quote:
plugin options to accept/ignore automatically
Quote:
4. Think about validation/security....
Maybe a problem if a different boat is in range and you get all their tracks?!

Without security in the program, maybe we recommend encrypted wifi?
Quote:
Nice simple plugin function.

Any new programmers want to try this one out?

Dave
What about the issue of sync active track when both devices get gps fix also? They need to negotiate this to avoid two tracks here.

As for active route, there should be syncronization as well.
Typically only one device would send messages to the autopilot, but maybe some kind of negotiation is needed to allow either device to be turned on, or both?

I think it would be easy to hack this together quickly, but much more difficult to write it in a way that ensures we can reuse the logic and extend it in the future.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06   #13

Boat: Gemini 3200

Can't you run all the devices on your boat on the same network and just point all the instances of OpenCPN to the same networked file? Your network takes care of the security issue (picking up tracks from a passing vessel). Only the device at the nav station would have to be able to write to the files. Other instances could be read only to avoid database collisions. Since OpenCPN only reads and writes from the hard drive when you import or export tracks, routes, and waypoints you can control that with operational policies.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 02:43   #14

Boat: Catalina 320 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Can't you run all the devices on your boat on the same network and just point all the instances of OpenCPN to the same networked file? Your network takes care of the security issue (picking up tracks from a passing vessel). Only the device at the nav station would have to be able to write to the files. Other instances could be read only to avoid database collisions. Since OpenCPN only reads and writes from the hard drive when you import or export tracks, routes, and waypoints you can control that with operational policies.

Fabbian
Hhmmm. I see that I may take my laptop home to plot a route with my wife and then when I get onto the boat I want to sync the route with the RPi. Given that I do not share the same network at home and on the boat (where I don't have internet access) I could not use cloud storage.

Yes, I know I could export from the laptop and import to the RPi, but a sync button would be a lot easier.

And then there is the modification of the route during sailing that the others discuss. Seems to me that this needs to be more dynamic. Am I missing something? I'm very new to OpenCPN so there is all sorts of stuff I may have misunderstood.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:05   #15

Boat: Oneoff

My 2c.
I can imagine a plugin with a server and client mode. If on the server the Btn is clicked you get a popup window where you can choose what to synchronise (route waypoints tracks layers charts etc) and at the same time a UDP message is send on all network devices to clients to report itself.
Due to the reports we can also add a list of clients where we can choose with witch to sync. Then OK and a tcp connection with each client for the syncing. This leaves all control at the server.

On the client side there should be an acknowledge window to allow changes. I definitive don't want changes to a route without me approving it. However there could be a switch to turn it off.

I don't think we should try syncing an active track.

Tags
route