Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2015, 09:35   #16

Re: Recomendation for NMEA AIS Mutiplexer to OPCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I think the cheapest/best solution is a Vesper XB-8000. Not only does it provide AIS transponding, but it multiplexes everything (NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000). It downconverts, upconverts, spews the data on WIFI and is generally awesome. I feed both OpenCPN and PolarView over WIFI from the Vesper.

If you factor the costs of a separate AIS TRANSPONDER and a multiplexer, then its a good deal (can be readily had for $740, sometimes as low as $700).
I second the Vesper XB-8000 as an excellent solution. Data gets between our 0183 chart plotter and the Autohelm p70 N2K autopilot head ok (could use a few more pages translated). OpenCPN/seaIQ integration is a snap, and the vmAIS tool (their configuration software) works well on OSX.

Not for everyone on Cruiser's Forum, but we weren't interested in a DIY solution.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 16:47   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Recomendation for NMEA AIS Mutiplexer to OPCN

The OP already has an AIS transponder, so the Vesper would be throwing one out and buying another.

While I very much like our Vesper, it is a limited NMEA wifi multiplexer because there are a significant number of common N2K PGN's it will not recognize or translate. Rudder angle, for example, but there are many more.

I held hopes that expanding the translation scope would be a high priority for Vesper, but it appears it is not. They have added no new functionality in this area for at least a year.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 04:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
While I very much like our Vesper, it is a limited NMEA wifi multiplexer because there are a significant number of common N2K PGN's it will not recognize or translate. Rudder angle, for example, but there are many more.

I held hopes that expanding the translation scope would be a high priority for Vesper, but it appears it is not. They have added no new functionality in this area for at least a year.
Totally agree - they've opened an internal ticket with R&D (Ref:1866) to add rudder sensor angle and a few other pages; if you ever contact them perhaps you could second the motion. As you say, it doesn't seem to be a priority.

A Venn diagram of the pages translated by the various NMEA bridges has some surprising pages that aren't in the common subset.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 21:29   #19
Marine Service Provider

Actually it is a priority for us... we see adding more PGN translations as being really useful and want it out there as soon as we can. But we just haven't got there yet.

And please feel free to contact us any time with your suggestions or questions about where things stand.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, men, nmea