Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2024, 06:10   #136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Recommended Cockpit Platform

I have gone through the EDATEC instructions and NOT been successful.

EDATEC instructions perversely say that to use a STANDARD OS to use the PI Imager to download a CUSTOM Debian image which they link to. Apparently you can NOT just use the standard 64 bit image. That makes me believe that this EDATAC unit will NEVER work with either plotter.

I DID follow the instructions and installed the standard Pi5 OS image. And I installed an external HDMI screen. Both screens function, neither screen gets a signal. I have also tried it with the BBN plotter OS. Same, no video. I did not install the STANDARD/CUSTOM OS because there is no point if it is not the Plotter OS.

And without video there is no possibility of completing the firmware modifications.

DEAD END with this EDATEC box.

It still works with the provided OS, so it is not broke.

I just ordered a Pi5 kit to start over with a different, STANDARD, OS.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:22   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

EDATEC instructions perversely say that to use a STANDARD OS to use the PI Imager to download a CUSTOM Debian image which they link to. Apparently you can NOT just use the standard 64 bit image. That makes me believe that this EDATAC unit will NEVER work with either plotter.

I DID follow the instructions and installed the standard Pi5 OS image. And I installed an external HDMI screen. Both screens function, neither screen gets a signal. I have also tried it with the BBN plotter OS. Same, no video. I did not install the STANDARD/CUSTOM OS because there is no point if it is not the Plotter OS.
And without video there is no possibility of completing the firmware modifications.

I contacted Edatec:

Thanks for you reaching us.

We are currently taking the public holiday this full week, we will go back
next Monday, Ray is our software engineer, he will get back to you on
Monday.

Best regards,
Austin
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:08   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for taking that extra effort.
Old 04-05-2024, 13:50   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

2 updates.

FIRST
I DID get the EDATAC to boot and work with the external display using the EDATAC operating system. It seems the HDMI connector was not sufficiently seated. Duh! Mouse works on EDATAC screen but not HDMI screen.

Then I was also able to open BBN, have not yet tried Open Plotter.
With BBN the EDATAC screen does NOT work, the HDMI screen does work, mouse works on HDMI screen.

SECOND
I got the a Canakit rpi5.
It fired up out of the box. I loaded sequentially BBN and OPENPLOTTER. Mouse works on both with external monitor.

I am a bit exhausted by this, and a bit embarrassed over the HDMI insertion issue. I have never used a HDMI before and was a bit surprised at the effort needed to get a good seat. So I am gonna take a bit of a break for a bit.

I GUESS my next move will be to see if the EDATAC will respond positively to the firmware updates with BBN and OP. Not right now.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:54   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I attempted to do the Edatec adjustments on BBN. That did not go so well.

It showed me as User “Rsly????? and I had to change a password.

OK, managed that.

But none of the further code would run. I did have the internet connected. But I get the sense I am in the wrong directory to run the code. The only indication the instructions give is simply to go to the command prompt upon boot up.

I have typed out all the code line in a Pi based editor and saved it to a thumb dive.

I guess I will wait to hear back from mgrusch before going further as I assume there may be some discussion about how to modify the plotter software.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:08   #141
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I am watching this thread with great interest. I'll be doing something similar within the next year or two. With the rapid changes in available technology, it is likely not a good time to start buying hardware but better to wait until I start doing the work.

There are also some slightly different constraints for my install - but it is very close...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:39   #142

Quote:

You can contact support@edatec.cn and rxie@edatec.cn (Ray). They would ask for more details about what is going on on your system. They may ask you to run some commands and give output to troubleshoot. They are quite responsive.
Old 06-05-2024, 05:06   #143

Quote:
I attempted to do the Edatec adjustments on BBN. That did not go so well.

It showed me as User “Rsly????? and I had to change a password.

OK, managed that.

But none of the further code would run. I did have the internet connected. But I get the sense I am in the wrong directory to run the code. The only indication the instructions give is simply to go to the command prompt upon boot up.

I have typed out all the code line in a Pi based editor and saved it to a thumb dive.

I guess I will wait to hear back from mgrusch before going further as I assume there may be some discussion about how to modify the plotter software.
You mentioned you installed BBN while not having HDMI plug fully inserted. You need to repeat everything from burning SD card. Do not apply any customizations in raspberry pi imager. In your case I suggest LITE BBN image. Plugin HDMI and USB touchscreen into pi. Have keyboard and mouse plugged in for initial setup. Insert SD with just burned BBN and boot up. After few mins it will boot into graphical UI with OpenCPN started.
Old 06-05-2024, 06:13   #144

I have repeated Edatec instructions for installing their drivers on BBN OS
following https://edatec.cn/uploads/soft/24041...20RPiOS-en.pdf
2.5 Installing Firmware Package

Quote:
curl -sS https://apt.edatec.cn/pubkey.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb https://apt.edatec.cn/raspbian stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/edatec.list
sudo apt update

sudo apt install -y ed-linux-image-6.1.58-2712
curl -s 'https://apt.edatec.cn/downloads/202403/kernel-change.sh' | sudo bash -s 6.1.58-rpi7-rpi-2712

sudo apt install -y ed-hmi3020-101c-firmware

dpkg -l | grep linux-image | awk '{print $2}' | grep ^linux | while read line; do sudo apt-mark hold $line; done

reboot

It installed two Edatec packages:

Quote:
dpkg -l | grep ed-
ii ed-hmi3020-101c-firmware 1.20240409.1 arm64 Firmware of EDATEC Software Package
ii ed-linux-image-6.1.58-2712 2:1.20240325.1 arm64 EDATec Linux 6.1.58 for Raspberry Pi 2712
and added

Quote:
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-rzw-t101p136cq-rpi5-2lane,interrupt=17
dtoverlay=imx219,cam0
dtoverlay=uart2-pi5
dtoverlay=uart4-pi5
dtparam=pcie=on
dtparam=pciex1=on
dtoverlay=rt5616
dtoverlay=act-led,gpio=16
gpio=6=op,dl
into /boot/firmware/config.txt

It booted into Edatec (downgraded) kernel fine (per dmesg)

Is this consistent with what your are seeing?
Old 06-05-2024, 07:40   #145

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I am amazed how difficult it is to get it to work correctly. Very happy I’ve just been playing with my pi a bit without attempting to run openplotter on it yet.

I have decided to buy a MacMini for boat computer without a permanent screen attached and use screen sharing from my laptop for setting up things and AirPlay2 for wireless display on a 21.5” hdmi monitor in the pilothouse.
Despite my ability to get it working in 1.5 hours, my recommendation remains the same. Unless you enjoy fussing with things and/or have Linux experience, the fastest and easiest way for a reliable OpenCPN installation is either a Windows or Mac Laptop. I also recommend against using SignalK unless you have a specific use case that requires it.
Old 06-05-2024, 16:24   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mgrouch,

Thanks for your comments. I have not had tome today to do much, and what I did had confusing results.

The thread really has split into 2 conversations.

First: The plotter on a regular Pi platform, which seems to boot for both BBN and OP.

Second: The Edatec display issue.

I will try to find some time tomorrow to do some more work to sort out this second issue. No point trying to report today.
Old 06-05-2024, 23:21   #147
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

A little back in the thread I read that people choose this display because of the flat cable, making it easy to put it in a tight housing, which makes sense.

But there’s also flat cable hdmi incl. all kinds of angled connectors to make it easy as well. The question is if a display suited for a waterproof housing can be found to match it with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5501.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	289608  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 07:00   #148

Quote:
Mgrouch,

Thanks for your comments. I have not had tome today to do much, and what I did had confusing results.

The thread really has split into 2 conversations.

First: The plotter on a regular Pi platform, which seems to boot for both BBN and OP.

Second: The Edatec display issue.

I will try to find some time tomorrow to do some more work to sort out this second issue. No point trying to report today.
Edatec update:

I got reply from Edatec. They tried it with BBN OS image. The procedure adding display driver worked.
However after reboot lightdm service fails to start and it doesn’t boot into X11. So video output works but it seems there still some issues starting X11 possibly to touchscreen configuration or screen resolution.

It’s looking very similar to a problem with another DSI connected screen from Waveshare

https://github.com/bareboat-necessit...iscussions/327
Old 07-05-2024, 10:28   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, thank you and timely.

I have made it here before the dime got stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240507_132636.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	289624  
Old 07-05-2024, 10:30   #150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Also, how do I get into File Manger.
I want to type out my code (gedit) and save. But can not figure out how to retrieve.

FILES icon seems obvious but does not respond.

Tags
cockpit, men