Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2024, 07:06   #121

Re: Recommended Cockpit Platform

Also you do not need to step away during pi boot. Whole installation process takes 2-3 minutes during which it reboots once. You will see things happening on the attached screen. I hope you plugged in the monitor into correct HDMI port.
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:51   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Attached screen shot of file explorer.

I temporarily killed Kapersky. Rebooted the computer. Made sure Kapersky was still dead.

Then I went through the Pi Imager process again. Keeping it simple I just tried the stock Pi5 64bit operating system. Once I get the stock image to load then I can try a plotter image.

Still no luck.

The Pi boots to the manufacturer supplied SD card. I am loath to do anything with that.

But even with the factory card it took a considerable amount of time for the initial boot to occur. I don't know how long because I went outside to do some chores. It was almost assuredly over 15 minutes, perhaps over a half hour. Subsequent boots are on the order of 2-3 mins.

I bought the recommended Pi5 from an early post. It is computer/touch sensitive screen combination. And it does boot with the factory provided SD card. So clearly the computer/monitor combination is good.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ra...-industrial-pc

What I actually bought was a slightly upgraded model from DigKey.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...08320/22032987

This is some idiot problem, some step I am missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	289457  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:54   #123

Ok. If it boots from SD one card. Can you insert that SD card into your windows laptop. It’s going to mount only boot partition on it. On that partition you will find

in /firmware directory 2 files

config.txt
cmdline.txt

Copy these 2 files to your windows machine drive.
And post them here as attachments.
May be there is something from vendor in those two files.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:36   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Attached screen shot of file explorer.

I temporarily killed Kapersky. Rebooted the computer. Made sure Kapersky was still dead.

Then I went through the Pi Imager process again. Keeping it simple I just tried the stock Pi5 64bit operating system. Once I get the stock image to load then I can try a plotter image.

Still no luck.

The Pi boots to the manufacturer supplied SD card. I am loath to do anything with that.

But even with the factory card it took a considerable amount of time for the initial boot to occur. I don't know how long because I went outside to do some chores. It was almost assuredly over 15 minutes, perhaps over a half hour. Subsequent boots are on the order of 2-3 mins.

I bought the recommended Pi5 from an early post. It is computer/touch sensitive screen combination. And it does boot with the factory provided SD card. So clearly the computer/monitor combination is good.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ra...-industrial-pc

What I actually bought was a slightly upgraded model from DigKey.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...08320/22032987

This is some idiot problem, some step I am missing.
Ok. I’ve figured out the issue. If you load just standard Pi OS on your Edatech device then LCD is not available. It’s in the documentation for your product.
There are additional steps required to make LCD work.

Check this document from Edatech website. It has detailed instructions

https://www.edatec.cn/uploads/soft/2...20RPiOS-en.pdf
Old 02-05-2024, 13:56   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, that is a great find. I would never have got there myself. As I noted absolutely zero info came with the computer, not even a single sheet with links.

I have read through the process. I am going to print the material put and make notes.

And I guess I will need to order up some screen.

I had intended to set up SD with BBN and OPENPLOTTER. So I guess I need to do this twice.

And I wanted to have a copy of the OS on a separate SD. SO I need to figure put how to copy the OS to a spare SD or do it all yet again.

I will need to take some time to work this out. I assume there will be a text editor somewhere in the OS where I can pre type the commands and proof read them and finally just copy past them.

Again thank you.

I will let you know how I make out.
Old 02-05-2024, 14:24   #126

Quote:
Thanks, that is a great find. I would never have got there myself. As I noted absolutely zero info came with the computer, not even a single sheet with links.

I have read through the process. I am going to print the material put and make notes.

And I guess I will need to order up some screen.

I had intended to set up SD with BBN and OPENPLOTTER. So I guess I need to do this twice.

And I wanted to have a copy of the OS on a separate SD. SO I need to figure put how to copy the OS to a spare SD or do it all yet again.

I will need to take some time to work this out. I assume there will be a text editor somewhere in the OS where I can pre type the commands and proof read them and finally just copy past them.

Again thank you.

I will let you know how I make out.
For now just keep doing what you were doing but connect external monitor to you pi via hdmi.
You might have to contact EDATEC tech support to make LCD work with BBN or Openplotter.
They are both just varieties of raspberry pi OS but Linux kernel version are different.
Old 02-05-2024, 15:36   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I have a monitor on order for delivery tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2024, 19:12   #128

Boat: Morgan 382

Here is a very brief overview of the issues I ran into with Openplotter. I unfortunately don't recall all the details without going through it again.

I started with this kit, selected because of its completeness. I didn't want to mess with finding a case, power supply, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTT6X2ZJ...roduct_details

No problems with my rpi booting the supplied image, which I did before beginning with OpenPlotter.

First issue was that the images on the images download page don't include the version 4 which is required for the rpi5. Even being in beta, it should be on that page with the appropriate note, as it is quite difficult to find for anyone that buys an rpi5. So I wasted time imaging one only to get the message that it won't work. Then I googled and found the beta version.

No problems imaging the card or booting to it.

Second issue was an annoyance to change the password, but no explanation or guidance how to do that.

Third, network configuration doesn't work until you set the country you are in. Took me a while to figure out this was why I couldn't find any network configuration page. The default config is that the rpi is an access point, but I needed to configure it to connect to an existing network. Many users might not have this issue, but then might get stumped weeks or months later when they need to change something.

Fourth, I use TightVNC pretty extensively in my environment. For whatever reason, RealVNC is not compatible with it. I didn't expect that.

And as I mentioned before, I had the system completely configured and working about 1.5 hours after opening the box from Amazon. Which isn't bad, but some users might get stuck with some of the above issues.
Old 03-05-2024, 00:53   #129
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I am amazed how difficult it is to get it to work correctly. Very happy I’ve just been playing with my pi a bit without attempting to run openplotter on it yet.

I have decided to buy a MacMini for boat computer without a permanent screen attached and use screen sharing from my laptop for setting up things and AirPlay2 for wireless display on a 21.5” hdmi monitor in the pilothouse.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:50   #130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am kinda hoping that at the end of this surprisingly long thread someone more competent than I can do a summary of issues, expanding upon what Whollybe did above.

Warren, Thank you.

It is interesting because my issue (so far) had nothing to do with rpi or either plotter. It was that the provided touchscreen is not natively compatible with the rpi OS and the “fix” requires a screen that is. Rather a bizarre situation.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:02   #131

Quote:
I am kinda hoping that at the end of this surprisingly long thread someone more competent than I can do a summary of issues, expanding upon what Whollybe did above.

Warren, Thank you.

It is interesting because my issue (so far) had nothing to do with rpi or either plotter. It was that the provided touchscreen is not natively compatible with the rpi OS and the “fix” requires a screen that is. Rather a bizarre situation.
I see posts of people having issues with setting up DSI connected screens on pi5 with Bookworm. Different makes of them.
HDMI connected ones seem to work fine right away.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:42   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: SailTime/Beneteau Oceanis 38

I think the fact that the attempts here were done on Pi 5 and not Pi 4 are a good explanation of why so many issues. Pi 5 is still not fully explored or supported. Pi 4 is super well known and used.
flpaoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:24   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a pic of the unit. You can see the EDATEC interface board covers the entire Pi5.

It is a bit confusing to me. What is the big deal with an EDATEC monitor? Why not just use a standard HDMI interface monitor? I am sure there is some compelling reason of which I am ignorant.

Flpaoli,

At this point I would not point a finger at Pi5, but rather the use of a non standard display interface.

My (perhaps naive) assumption is that as soon as I plug in the HMDI monitor I will see the plotter. Then some mods to make the existing display work.

Should know sometime tomorrow.

I have gone through the install instructions and it seems relatively clear. Accurate typing likely to be the biggest challenge. Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7509.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	289482  
Old 03-05-2024, 11:45   #134

DSI interface is commonly used due to its compact size (it’s a ribbon cable) in cases when monitor and pi are packing into same enclosure as a single unit.
Old 03-05-2024, 17:36   #135

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I am amazed how difficult it is to get it to work correctly. Very happy I’ve just been playing with my pi a bit without attempting to run openplotter on it yet.

I have decided to buy a MacMini for boat computer without a permanent screen attached and use screen sharing from my laptop for setting up things and AirPlay2 for wireless display on a 21.5” hdmi monitor in the pilothouse.

It's not that difficult to get OpenPlotter running but it does take some tribal knowledge at this point. In a few months they should have their docs together and it will be much easier.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, men