Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2023, 08:38   #1

Boat: Offshore Yacht
Remote access:Removing RealVNC, Installing TightVNC

I've spent about a week, off and on, looking for detailed instructions for removing RealVNC (new pricing model doesn't work for me) and replacing with TightVNC... Not as easy as I thought because RealVNC (VNC Connect) is built into the OS. For instance, in raspi-config (Raspi4 8g) if you turn on VNC, it wants to reinstall VNC Connect.

Has anyone seen and can point me to full instructions for removing RealVNC and installing TightVNC. Is there a way to change raspi-config defaults to look to TightVNC bits and not RealVNC? Or do I just leave it off? Then will opening ports be an issue?

I know this isn't specifically OpenCPN but centers around it trying to monitor my Raspi for different parts of the boat.

I'm trying to settle all my iot devices and remote PC on just one solution (TightVNC).

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2023, 16:32   #2

Boat: Offshore Yacht
Re: Remote access:Removing RealVNC, Installing TightVNC

So I guess it is clear that everyone is using RealVNC. Given their new device limit for the free account, what are IOT focus folks using? I need something that can go to say 20+ devices (including local and remote).

Thoughts?

Tags
remote