Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2021, 08:33   #1

Request for developer help

Hello,

Bit of a cheeky one here but I was wondering if one of the developers might be able to help me.

I'm a professional seafarer that normally uses an ECPINS ECDIS system when I'm at work. I've recently started learning python and am trying to knock up some tools to help do a bunch of calculations for me that I would usually have to do by hand using positions obtained from the ECDIS system.

I'm trying to create a script that will measure a bunch of bearings from certain locations along a route to a selection of fixed reference points that we use for fixing position visually. I've managed to open up the ECPINS route files and extract the route data from them as they are all plain text, but the reference point set files seem to be mostly unreadable apart from the odd bits of plain text. These bits of plain text seem to include a number of S57 attributes, which would lead me to believe that the file type may be similar to S57?

As OpenCPN supports S57, I was wondering if a developer may be here and able to tell me if my suspicion is correct and perhaps point me in the direction of working out how I can read these files enough to extract the lat and long of these reference points.

An example of one of these files can be found here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A8_...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me, and apologies if this was not appropriate to post here.

Big fan of the work you're doing with openCPN, it's great to be able to access charts when I'm away from the ship!

Thanks,

Alec
ajofuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 13:36   #2

Re: Request for developer help

Alec ...

Fascinating stuff. Are you able to link the positions in a route and export as an RTZ file. With that we could make some progress.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote