Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2015, 23:06   #1

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit
Request that Android OpenCPN.apk Open Source version be put up in the OpenCPN.org Dow

Nohal / Pavel, I have noticed that the "free" Opencpn version of Android OpenCPN has been removed from the download section of OpenCPN.

I cannot imagine any reason why a Open Source Android binary compiled from Open source code of OpenCPN and released into the public domain cannot be put up in the community section of OpenCPN.org dowload section for ALL Volunteers and Users to download free and forever.

What possibly could be your reason for taking it down?
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 00:19   #2

Re: Request that Android OpenCPN.apk Open Source version be put up in the OpenCPN.org

As the song goes MONEY - MONEY and even more MONEY

It is extremely distasteful to see what is happening to OCPN in its the quest to make money for the few.
freesails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 00:46   #3

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit
Re: Request that Android OpenCPN.apk Open Source version be put up in the OpenCPN.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesails View Post
As the song goes MONEY - MONEY and even more MONEY

It is extremely distasteful to see what is happening to OCPN in its the quest to make money for the few.
Lets give Nohal / Pavel the chance to answer the simple question as to why he took the Open source Android.apk down off the OpenCPN.org free download section.

But if the answer is it was done so that some-one could make a profit out of what has always been a VOLUNTEER share and share alike community effort, I will be very disgusted!

OpenCPN has to be a share and share alike community effort, of Boaters helping each other in a free and open way.
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 00:56   #4

Boat: Atlantis 360

Dear all OPENCPN Contributors. I
In the sea nothing worst than a human conflict to finish under the sea.....
OPENCPN is a beautiful collective ship. Let's try to stop fighting on this android google issue. I beleave that if everybody try to anderstand why Android Opencpn was googleised and why it is so frustrating, we could find a other solution.
For exemple a suscription, to collect money. Or a mean to promote the donate.
or what ever.

As a user of opencpn who constributes in suggesting feature requests and testing betas( sometimes) and using opencpn to sail, I commit to donate more that 10$ provided this issue is solved

Let's try not to break this dream.
LEPINARD Gilles
LEPINARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 00:58   #5

Boat: Atlantis 360

May I suggest to the deam team who most contributes to OpenCpn , to meet around a set of good bottles of Rhum, and to negociate, ..... until abemus papam.
LEPINARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 01:07   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Freesails,

what exactly happens to OpenCPN? It's just about the packaged Android version. All the other stuff is available as always. Including the source code and the description how to compile and produce the apk.
So from a practical point of view - what?
Why should one speculate or start crusades?

With respect to "Money": This is exactly the economy we are in. The "pursuit of happiness". It is not up to you or me to decide to join this. And one gets remembered every day.

I'm happy to contribute to OpenCPN because I like to do so - and there is no base to think that working with Open Source Software or "Community" projects proves one to be a better person.
Why should one owe something to you just because you did contribute voluntarely? Or do you want to trade "good will"?
Out of curiousity: did you contribute? Curiousity because the answer does not change my reasoning.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 01:22   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

And just a reminder:
From the announcement of the first Alpha release of AOCPN from April, 9th
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1796676

Quote:
The Plan:
I plan to run a standard Alpha/Beta test series on O for android, hosted on this Forum. It will take a while to get through all of the issues that will arise relative to cross platform support, and the UI design issues will require some extensive iteration.

Ultimately, when ready for Release, I will offer OCPN for android on the Google Play store in order to reach the broadest possible user base. There will be a nominal fee charged for the download.
Interestingly enough no comment from anybody at this moment. Prominent and really no fineprint in the announcement.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 01:54   #8

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Interestingly enough no comment from anybody at this moment. Prominent and really no fineprint in the announcement.
Hubert,
that is not correct.
I voted times ago for a separate Android version and not to merge it with the main code. This way they should have done what they want with AO and no problems have been arised. What we have now is really a bad advertisement for OpenCPN.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 06:22   #9

Boat: Phantom 19

yachtmanforfun...
The downloads of OpenCPN for Android betas followed exactly the same logic as we use for the other platforms for years (As you sure know), once each beta build became obsolete, it was removed from the beta section of the download page. There is no current beta of OA available now, as clearly stated on the page.
There never was any other link to any download for Android, it has not been removed and as such it is impossible to "restore" it.

You made me wonder, so I wasted some more time instead of writing code to benefit all - The number of your contributions to OpenCPN's code is 0 (zero), at least since Git is used, the number of your contributions to the documentation in the wiki is 0 (zero), you have ~25 posts in the forum alltogether, most of them in your numerous crusade threads of the past days, others, I still try to believe, sure valuable help for the members of the OpenCPN community - Are you really the one who should dictate the direction of OpenCPN and judge it's author's decisions?

As I have told you several times in this forum and in our valuable private communication: If you don't like something, fork the codebase and start your own project - OpenCPN is open source software and ALL the code is freely available on Github under the terms of GPLv2 license.
As far as your distribution of Android APKs for free goes, I have absolutely no problem with that, of course, just honor the license under which it was created, obey the intellectual property rights of me and others and provide the respective source code when requested. Understand that this is not about being pedantic, I just intend to provide you a chance to have a small insight on what it takes to package and distribute open source software. You will sure find it invaluable in your fork, shall you really do the only right thing and create it.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 06:39   #10

Not very logically what has been explained here.
When a Beta version was taken off the site then there is a stable release.
However I cannot find a link to the stable release neither at the site.

So it might be better to tell the truth to the people. I really dislike many words for nothing.

Gerhard
Old 19-09-2015, 06:54   #11

Gerhard...
Thanks for your valuable comment. There is a stable version of OpenCPN for Android available from Google Play Store. That the Android version will be distributed this way has been publicly announced since day 1 of the testing program, as you know. Let me know if there is more unclear stuff.

Pavel
Old 19-09-2015, 07:51   #12

For anyone wanting to use OpenCPN on their android device at absolutey no cost, follow my intructions here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

But, before doing so, think about contributing you time a wee bit to discover how many features in OpenCPN can be used by simply employing freely available android apps. We got GPS working in OpenCPN this way, and I'm very confident most other features like AIS and most hardware interfaces can be made to work too. I'd probably have got most working by now myself, but I don't have all the toys you rich sailors have to play with...

Your choice. Pay or play.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 08:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Gerhard...
Thanks for your valuable comment. There is a stable version of OpenCPN for Android available from Google Play Store. That the Android version will be distributed this way has been publicly announced since day 1 of the testing program, as you know. Let me know if there is more unclear stuff.

Pavel
I know I write a bad english which is one of the reasons you don't understand me. I've said at opencpn.org is nothing to find and no hint about the availability of OCPN Android from Google Play Store. Neither I see a comment of a stable Android version there.
Is it clear enough for you or do you need further explanations? Let me know otherwise.

Gerhard
Old 19-09-2015, 08:47   #14

Gerhard...
And your problem with opencpn.org, the website of the free, open source, OpenCPN project not being "abused" to promote the "commercial" OpenCPN for Android is exactly what? Sorry, I don't understand and it is not your English

Pavel
Old 19-09-2015, 09:06   #15

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

These posts really need to stop. They amount to a bunch children stomping their feet because they don't understand something. I have a feeling, that if this keeps up, it will sour the attitude of the 4 main contributors to the OpenCPN project and they will move on to another project that is appreciated.

Let me post the google definition of open source.
"All Open Source software can be used for commercial purpose; the Open Source Definition guarantees this. You can even sell Open Source software. However, note that commercial is not the same as proprietary."

What does that mean.. Well it means the OpenCPN group is doing nothing wrong. It also means that anyone else if free to take the current code and fork it as they see fit (and even offer a free version of the fork on Playstore). You are also free to compile a copy and provide a download link, which has already been done by someone (with very little interest).

To the naysayers, I say, go ahead and make your own fork and offer it for free. After a couple of versions I would be interested to see how many users are using that fork as to how many continue using this main version!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn