Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 11:10   #16

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon
Re: Route Planning using a laptop

So I just went into Opencpn on my tablet, created a simple route and exported it to my SD card - it created a route called "route.gpx"

I dont have a garmin device to test but hope that answers your question.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 13:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreid01 View Post
So OpenCPN will not output route files natively in the GPX format?

Sure it does, go into the route and track manager, select your route and click on "Export selected....", you'll get a gpx file.

I hope that works for you.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 00:17   #18

Boat: Ocean Yachts, 48ss - 15 meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreid01 View Post
So OpenCPN will not output route files natively in the GPX format? You need software to convert the route files it does ouput to GPX? What format or formats does OpenCPN output route files in?
Yes,
OpenCPN will export routes, waypoints, etc in .GPX format.
However am asking if anyone has an excel sheet converter that can convert the .route file format into into .GPX format and vice versa.

Would like do route planning on laptop with OpenCPN then convert from .GPX format to .ROUTE format to export to Sperry Marine Vision Master FT ECDIS.
Old 13-03-2020, 06:19   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tony View Post
Would like do route planning on laptop with OpenCPN then convert from .GPX format to .ROUTE format to export to Sperry Marine Vision Master FT ECDIS.
I actually checked after an earlier post of yours. I couldn't find any reference to .route files in any of the apps I use.

Have you opened up the .route file in a text editor just to see what it looks like? Sometimes a vendor will use a standard format like GPX and just rename it. Or maybe the structure is simple enough that you could convert it with a script or macro.

Failing that, the developers of something like GPSBabel might want to add it to their program. I wrote a similar program many years ago for some formats which I was using at the time. Once you've got a converter program it's not hard to add additional formats, as long as they're not encrypted or in some bizarre binary format.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop, route