Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 04:28   #1

RPI4 Bullseye_64 Flatpak Map SSD directory access

Hello, I have installed OpenCPN release 5.6.0-3+777652e using Flatpak on the RPI4 running Bullseye 64 bits.
I'm unable to access to a dedicated map directory located on the SSD. The map directory is located on "/media/pi" but isn't visible/selectable from the map access configuration menu.
I tried various Flatpak override commands (--device=; filesystem= ) with no results.
Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm used to have the map folder separated from system and software directories. Worked fine like that in previous versions (without flatpak)
Yannick
Stadlo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:09   #2

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: RPI4 Bullseye_64 Flatpak Map SSD directory access

The Flatpak opencpn config version is in another place:
bram/.var/app/org.opencpn.OpenCPN/config/opencpn

If you don't see the .var. Use Ctrl-H (= toggle stands for hide).

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 10:14   #3

Bram,
Tanks a lot for your quick answer !
I located the file opencpn.conf and modified ChartDir1 parameter but wasn't able to resolve the issue...
I confirmed that whith charts located within a subdirectory (carto) located in user directory "/home/pi" he parameter ChartDir1 is managed thru he the menu "tools - Options - Maps - Files "=/home/pi/carto/... the maps are recognized an
Old 16-02-2022, 10:22   #4

.. sorry, when you set the parameter ChartDir1 to the directory "/media/pi/carto" you are only able to visualize the path in the menu "Tool -Options - Maps "but aren't able to refresh the map database.
It really seems that "/media/pi" is ignore or non visible to Flatpak. Maybe something missing there ?
Tanks again for your support.
Yannick
Old 16-02-2022, 10:42   #5

Hi Yannick,

I'am also using SDD and fast 3.1. USB srick.

Booting from these Items without SD card. You can simply copy the image of the SD tot SDD or USB stick with Pi-Clone (SD copieer)

And with the latest Eeprom update. The RaspioS 64 is booting from the SSD of from the fast USB stick.

Charts are here in home/bram/Charts.

Regards,

Bram
Old 16-02-2022, 11:21   #6

Hi Bram,

Understand, we do have similar system... I do also boot from SSD, but the difference maybe the our SSD organisation ?
- I do have a 32B root partition where I keep the system and various software. It is very easy to clone such partition on an SD card for backup purpose. Easy as well to boot direct from de SD card and try some modifications/upgrade without affecting the SSD boot area. I want to keep this partition with minimum size so that SD card backup remain possible and also because I can avoid to screw up the complete system when testing new soft for instance . booting on SD card allows to keep access and testing to the data area f the SSD.
- I do have other partitions on the SSD (i.e 120 GB for the maps and other navigation datas)
- as a result the RPI create a "/media/pi" subdirectory , accesible to other software but apparently ignored by Flatpak. (with previous opencpn release it was OK and very convenient)
-Of course I could enlarge the boot partition to include the map folder but I'm reluctant to that solution after using the "data area separation "that I'm using since a wile now)

There must a way but I didn't found it reading Flatpak papers, (and I'm not a sofware guy used to linux...even if I improve slowly )
Yannick
Old 17-02-2022, 02:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadlo2 View Post
Hi Bram,

Understand, we do have similar system... I do also boot from SSD, but the difference maybe the our SSD organisation ?
- I do have a 32B root partition where I keep the system and various software. It is very easy to clone such partition on an SD card for backup purpose. Easy as well to boot direct from de SD card and try some modifications/upgrade without affecting the SSD boot area. I want to keep this partition with minimum size so that SD card backup remain possible and also because I can avoid to screw up the complete system when testing new soft for instance . booting on SD card allows to keep access and testing to the data area f the SSD.
- I do have other partitions on the SSD (i.e 120 GB for the maps and other navigation datas)
- as a result the RPI create a "/media/pi" subdirectory , accesible to other software but apparently ignored by Flatpak. (with previous opencpn release it was OK and very convenient)
-Of course I could enlarge the boot partition to include the map folder but I'm reluctant to that solution after using the "data area separation "that I'm using since a wile now)

There must a way but I didn't found it reading Flatpak papers, (and I'm not a sofware guy used to linux...even if I improve slowly )
Yannick

Hi Yannick,

I do not understand what you are trying to do. This media/pi is a restricted folder.

You can only look in this folder by using sudo -s and your password.

Regards,

Bram