Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 10:00   #121

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Sean Depagnier's Plugins

Opencpn 3.2.2
celestial navigaton plugin api 1.9 opencpn.lib v3.2.2 -complies
climatology plugin api 1.9, opencpn.lib v3.2.2 -complies, fixed!
wmm plugin api 1.8, opencpn.lib v3.2.2 -compiles
weatherfax plugin api 1.8, opencpn.lib v3.2.2 -compiles, more testing to do...
- Will test for basic operation and upload again.

Opencpn 3.3.1824
rtldsr plugin api 1.8, opencpn.lib v3.3.1824 -compiles, needs to be tested w/dongle
statusbar plugin api 1.9, opencpn.lib v3.2.2 -compiles
s63 plugin api 1.11 , opencpn.lib v3.3.1824 - compiles
trimplot plugin api 1.8, opencpn.lib v3.2.2 -compiles
watchdog plugin api 1.10, opencpn.lib v3.3.1824 - compiles
weather_routing plugin api 1.10 , opencpn.lib v3.3.1824
- Sean, were you going to fix that xml file crash problem? I can then git pull...

Trimplot compiles under 3.2.2 but does not run, so that is just being moved up to 3.3.1824.
Statusbar runs under 3.3.1824 as well so that has moved up.

We're getting there...
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:47   #122

Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser, rgpass

07-05-14 Plugin v3.2.2
celestial navigaton plugin api 1.9
climatology plugin api 1.9
wmm plugin api 1.8
weatherfax plugin api 1.8
These all work. Weatherfax needs further testing/diagnostics for intenet retrieval...

07-05-14 Plugins v3.3.1824
rtldsr plugin api 1.8- needs testing w/dongle, several volunteers needed.
statusbar plugin api 1.9
s63 plugin api 1.11
trimplot plugin api 1.8
watchdog plugin api 1.10
weather_routing plugin api 1.10

These all work, except rtldsr needs testing with hardware.
Weather_routing is much much better, with some major improvements and consolidation of the Boat Edit tags, and more complete instructions for use, and now Weather_routing, Grib and Climatology are working together nicely.

So please, WINDOWS BETA TESTERS give these a workout and report back here. Sean would very much like to release a number of these plugins, so it is important that you exercise them!

These are easy install files with the data directory installation included. Just make sure you install to the Opencpn version listed or greater or they will not work! Thanks.

For example
07-05-14 Plugins v3.3.1824 = Opencpn version 3.2.2 or greater
07-05-14 Plugins v3.3.1824 = Opencpn version 3.3.1824 or greater
Old 08-07-2014, 06:55   #123

Have compled and uploaded new versions of wmm_pi.
Climatology_pi is recompiled and all problems are fixed, cannot upload right now as my file upload limits were reset during VPS provider migration....will fix.

Working on Wxfax... we need testers for this one please...next issue by Sean.
Old 10-07-2014, 19:38   #124

Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser, rgpass

New compiles and uploads of
climatology_pi-0.12-ov3.2.2-a-win32
wmm_pi-0.8-ov3.2.2-a-win32

weather_routing_pi-1.1-ov3.3.1824-win32
Old 13-07-2014, 09:41   #125

Hi,

I am testing the weather_routing_pi ver 3.3.1824 on Win7. I downloaded binary installer from "File Thingie 2.5.7".

Problem:
- When I hit "Compute", it crashes.
- It seems to 'forget' my selection of polar file also.

Files attached:
-Polar file,
-Boat file,
-Route file

Cheers,
Lulle
Attached Files
File Type: doc alma-kopparstenarna.XML.doc (1.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: doc Harriet_opencpn.csv.doc (501 Bytes, 60 views)
File Type: doc harriet2.xml.doc (433 Bytes, 52 views)
seglar-lulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 11:42   #126

OpenCpn Beta Login rguser, rgpass
File Thingie 2.5.7

The following files have been updated:

3.2.2 PI Win
weatherfax_pi-1.1-ov3.2.2-win32
wmm_pi-0.8-ov3.2.2-win32
celestial_navigation_pi-1.8-ov3.2.2-win32
climatology_pi-0.12-ov3.2.2-win32

3.3.1824 PI Win
watchdog_pi-1.1-ov3.3.1824-win32
trimplot_pi-0.3-ov3.3.1824-win32
statusbar_pi-0.4-ov3.3.1824-win32
rtlsdr_pi-0.10-ov3.3.1824-win32
Keep an eye on file dates, as that will often signal a new file has been uploaded. Older files will now be are deleted.

Please test weatherfax_pi it is ready for release. In windows, TIF files can't be downloaded, resulting in "Failure to download". Sean has explained this situation, and various alternatives for TIF. NOAA Boston uses TIF so these fail gracefully with an error message. On other file types this plugin works great.

Sean is busy improving weather_routing boat file, and there should be a new version shortly. We have a few issues to iron out first.
Old 14-07-2014, 09:21   #127

Lulle
Quote:
Problem:
- When I hit "Compute", it crashes.
- It seems to 'forget' my selection of polar file also.
Thank you for testing we need more people doing this.... I am sure Sean is looking at this now, but perhaps we can try something that would be useful and get you using the tool to get used to it. I am going to upload the several files that I have been using, to the 3.3.1824 directory and perhaps you can put download and put them in the

C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing
provided that is where these files are stored on your machine.
Boat.xml
WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml

Try using these files with the plugin first. Try to make the plugin work first, and get used to the interface, then try to make it crash and repeat the procedure so you know what you did to make it crash. That will be very helpful, because I think the plugin has some troubles reading and writing files without crashing in Windows. I believe the read write requirements for Windows is stricter than for Linux.

Thanks very much.

If you are having trouble with an instant crash try deleting the files that the plugin uses as they may be corrupted. That would be the files you have uploaded, plus weatherroutingconfiguration.xml and Boat.xml. Then restart Opencpn then grib and or climatology and then wxrouting_pi. It may clear up the problem. It did for me (there may be some more programming to get the file read writes working well).

Weather_routing depends on Grib files or Climatology data.
Don't forget you must have a Grib file up and running in Grib OR Climatology up and running, OR Both Grib and Climatology (Climatology will take over where the grib file stops on longer trips).

Also make sure that you select from WxRoute Config weather you are using grib or climatology or both.
Old 14-07-2014, 14:15   #128

Hi,

I downloaded the files and put them in the suggested directory. I haven't been able to provoke a crash at this point. But some other stuff is mentioned in the attached file.

I haven't used the climatology plugin, so I have been trying to 'trim' the boat to make it across the Atlantic by just using the grib data.

At some point we are entering warp speed here, moving backwards in time. Cool.

But, my doings are described in the attached pdf.

Cheers for now!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Log Weather route test.pdf (433.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 14-07-2014, 14:46   #129

One file that was missing altogether during my first attempts was "WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml". I can see now that that file contains all kinds of important stuff. I installed the plugin originally from the install package, but the file mentioned did not appear automatically.

If the code relies on those structures for both reading and saving then all kinds of stuff might go wrong I imaging.

What I did after installing, I created my file "harriet2.xml" and pointed out that in the "Browse" button. But I'd say that the "WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml" is important for the complete configuration.

So - if it doesn't exist - either 'complain' or create it.
Old 14-07-2014, 15:04   #130

Quote:
I downloaded the files and put them in the suggested directory. I haven't been able to provoke a crash at this point. But some other stuff is mentioned in the attached file.

I haven't used the climatology plugin, so I have been trying to 'trim' the boat to make it across the Atlantic by just using the grib data.
Great, Sean will be please to hear this. I encourage you to download Climatology as it is Opencpn's version of Pilot charts that have been converted to grib data and should give you longer trip routing capability, provided you accept the fact that they are averages and approximations of weather over 30 years from Noaa. Over time I believe you will become familiar with how they are useful and not so useful. --They are just another tool to get your head around your next trip! Things do change based on current conditions, so It is just a forward looking tool that will get better over time... it fills in for gribs, which have their own set of problems too....
Old 14-07-2014, 15:10   #131

WeatherRoutingConfiguration.xml and Boat.xml should have been a part of the exe installer and should have been installed automatically. Are you saying they were not?

I just checked NSIS installer folder, and I agree these files are not a part of the package!!! Sean we need to install them, can you change the installer to do that please?

Thank you seglar-lulle!

By the way, I will be uploading a newer version of Climatology very shortly that will be even better. It will have a "-C-" designation.
Old 14-07-2014, 15:31   #132

File Thingie 2.5.7

The following files have been updated:

3.2.2 PI Win
weatherfax_pi-1.1-ov3.2.2-b-win32 - New
wmm_pi-0.8-ov3.2.2-win32
celestial_navigation_pi-1.8-ov3.2.2-win32
climatology_pi-0.12-ov3.2.2-c-win32 - New

3.3.1824 PI Win
watchdog_pi-1.1-ov3.3.1824-win32
trimplot_pi-0.3-ov3.3.1824-win32
statusbar_pi-0.4-ov3.3.1824-win32
rtlsdr_pi-0.10-ov3.3.1824-win32
weather_routing_pi-1.1-ov3.3.1824-b-win32 -new

Keep an eye on file dates, as that will often signal a new file has been uploaded. Older files will now be deleted.

Please test weatherfax_pi it is almost ready for release. In windows, TIF files can't be downloaded, resulting in "Failure to download", however the Tif file does land in the data directory for weatherfax. Sean has explained this situation, and various alternatives for TIF. NOAA Boston uses TIF so these fail gracefully with an error message. On other file types this plugin works great. There is also a problem with using Retrieve Audio File when in Windows, there will be an opencpn failure, which is being worked on.

Sean is busy improving the weather_routing boat file, and configuration and this new version is much better, but we need to test and add two files to the installer:
boat.xml
weatherroutingconfiguration.xml
These files need to be downloaded and manually put in this folder:
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing

In the next version this will hopefully be taken care of by the installer.
Old 14-07-2014, 18:51   #133

Quote:
At some point we are entering warp speed here, moving backwards in time. Cool.
But, my doings are described in the attached pdf.
Don't quite get how you did that..moving backwards in time...How again?
Also after seeing your efforts and contortions to get to the Lizard by setting friction to 0 etc. I think you should try Climatology and make your settings as realistic as possible.
Old 14-07-2014, 23:28   #134

I will look into that after work today. But last night I did all kinds of testing and there is something strange happening sometimes when setting Configuration.StartTime. For some vales, it all of a sudden does strange things. I'll try to give a more structured resume this evening.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-07-2014, 00:33   #135

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglar-lulle View Post
I will look into that after work today. But last night I did all kinds of testing and there is something strange happening sometimes when setting Configuration.StartTime. For some vales, it all of a sudden does strange things. I'll try to give a more structured resume this evening.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I like the idea of time travel... It is some bug with the end route computation (going from the graph to the actual destination position) I would like to reproduce it, but I need your configuration xml files (and csv for boat polar if not computed) as well as the grib file used. The annoying thing about developing this plugin is bugs which occur very infrequently.

I think it doesn't make it across the atlantic because the boat is not fast enough to reach the other side before the grib data runs out?

You can also enable data deficient (it will just use the last grib data, so not very accurate for the end of the passage) or climatology (again could be inaccurate for real life etc..)

Either way, routing past 3 days isn't so accurate anyway because the weather will likely change. At least this gives you an idea of how to start for longer passages which is as good as any weather routing program can do.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug