Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 08:33   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Send to GPS shows as wrong coordinates on B&G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vechnyak View Post
Sorry, could you please clarify how I can do plain waypoint export? I could be doing something wrong in OPCN but when I click export, only option is GPX.

I renamed the file to remove space in the name and re-attachged. hopefully it will work.

Attachment 221465

Go to OpenCPN routes waypoints menu, select waypoints, click one then click export to GPS.

What happened now, has this single waypoint popped up on Vulcan. And if so, are its coords correct?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:37   #17

Confirmed 5 minutes ago:

OpenCPN export route to gpx.

Garmin import from file.

(bothe devices are n183, none is N2K)

correct

So at OpenCPN 4.2.6 there was no issue.

It is likely something the ShipModul does to n183 data while converting it to N2K.

b.
Old 17-08-2020, 08:37   #18

Now I can see you gpx. I will try to upload it to my garmin later.

b.
Old 17-08-2020, 08:49   #19

Quote:
Havnt tried this. Will do

If it is a wpt that is in a route, I think right-clicking it bring up a menu and export is one of this menu options.

This is a shortcut as the alt method is via the routes / wpts menu. The one where you made the gpx file before.

You must be aware that the export to dps and / export as gpx are two separate methods. Each produces its own result.

Export as pgx should give you a file (as it does) / while "send to gps" should send the wpt to the other device (to the shipmodul / Vulcan).

b.
Old 17-08-2020, 10:35   #20

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Standard baud rate for NMEA 183 is 4800. Within OCPN - Show NMEA debug window. Are you sure the B&G is connected to Com3?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 14:23   #21

Quote:

I renamed the file to remove space in the name and re-attachged. hopefully it will work.

Attachment 221465

Your gpx file is OK. Vide how it got imported into my Garmin handheld.

How does your Vulcan import gpx files then?

barnakiel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	your_test_gpx.png.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	221495  
Old 17-08-2020, 14:36   #22

OK. Have read some of the manual by now.

Which page specifically deals with your Vulcan import waypoints and or import routes procedure?

I cannot see it.

I must be reading the wrong manual?

barnakiel
Old 17-08-2020, 14:41   #23

OK. Found this:

" ... Download the file to a blank microSD card, and place it in your chartplotter's card slot. From the home screen, go to Files and locate the gpx file on your memory card, then press Import. With this done, the file will be stored on your chartplotter. ..."

Have you worked to the above procedure. Is this how you found you get those errors?

If so, can you try again, with this file:

https://www.bandg.com/blog/round-the...-chartplotter/

and report whether this one imports fine?

meanwhile I will compare them side by side on my machine.

standby till i hear from you,

barnakiel
Old 17-08-2020, 19:29   #24

Boat: Hanse 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK. Found this:

" ... Download the file to a blank microSD card, and place it in your chartplotter's card slot. From the home screen, go to Files and locate the gpx file on your memory card, then press Import. With this done, the file will be stored on your chartplotter. ..."

Have you worked to the above procedure. Is this how you found you get those errors?

If so, can you try again, with this file:

https://www.bandg.com/blog/round-the...-chartplotter/

and report whether this one imports fine?

meanwhile I will compare them side by side on my machine.

standby till i hear from you,

barnakiel
Thank You for continuing trying to help me! I really appreciate it.

Now, transferring the file over SD card is a bit complicated because the slot is located on underside of the plotter and the plotter is mounted in the pod of the binical. To do this I would have to take screws out and wires just to get to the bottom part of it.

What I have been trying all along is using Send to GPS from open CPN via USB which is recognized as com3. As I was saying before, the multiplexer is connected there. So essentially through that gizmo I'm able to send and receive data from PC to NMEA2000.

I know the network and connection all work outside of this particular issue. I successfully receive in open CPN things like GPS position and ships in the area which all comes from the AIS transponder. Also these waypoints do go to the plotter albeit with the weird coordinates.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about making sure the position format matches. I haven't given it a thought until now and notice that on my photo from the plotter waypoints the format seems to be using seconds. I believe the default on OCPN is down to minutes. I will try changing that as well and uploading waypoints again.

Thank you
vechnyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 08:40   #25

Quote:
Thank You for continuing trying to help me! I really appreciate it.

Now, transferring the file over SD card is a bit complicated because the slot is located on underside of the plotter and the plotter is mounted in the pod of the binical. To do this I would have to take screws out and wires just to get to the bottom part of it.

What I have been trying all along is using Send to GPS from open CPN via USB which is recognized as com3. As I was saying before, the multiplexer is connected there. So essentially through that gizmo I'm able to send and receive data from PC to NMEA2000.

I know the network and connection all work outside of this particular issue. I successfully receive in open CPN things like GPS position and ships in the area which all comes from the AIS transponder. Also these waypoints do go to the plotter albeit with the weird coordinates.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about making sure the position format matches. I haven't given it a thought until now and notice that on my photo from the plotter waypoints the format seems to be using seconds. I believe the default on OCPN is down to minutes. I will try changing that as well and uploading waypoints again.

Thank you

However, you must see the difference between the internal and external position notation. OpenCPN will likely follow your choice in notation on all on-screen presentation. But internally, it likely uses a default noatation (e.g. DD.DDDD).

So whatever you set up in that part (position format) may be irrelevant to how a WAYPOINT is being sent to the COM. Because how a WAYPOINT is sent to the COM will be bound by how nmea0183 requires this data to be formated. Hence the choices you make to position format will be irrelevant in WPT "Send To" action.

Consult Dave on the above but I think my assumption may be close to reality.

Now.

I have tested the GPX file because you attached one to your post. Why you attach it and then say it is too difficult to upload, I do not know. Because this is how your plotter does this job. Or did you find an optional way to use a GPX file on Vulcan?

Anyways, the GPX file you attached is fine when uploaded to a Garmin unit.

So I hope you have the picture clear:

- in Vulcan manuals, I failed to find any indication of how Vulcan imports wpt. (except for the info on gpx import that does not appear in the manual),

Basically, there are two alt methods: (1) GPX import and (2) OpenCPN "send WPT to".

Method (1) is supposed to work. Or so claims B&G.

Method (2) is based on OpenCPN nmea0183 output (which is correct as I tested it and it works with Garmin and many others).

In your case, OpenCPN nmea0183 output goes to the multiplexer which translates these sentences to N2K sentences. Since both protocols are based on long established standards, I would expect there is not much we can do to it.

Later the N2K sentence is collected by the Vulcan, but it is found to be scrambled and it lat long read wrong.

Yes/ No?

So now is probably the time to:

a) connect any other N2K device to your network and see how this device reads these sentences, are they correct this time, or again are they in wrong lat / log?

b) if they are right, you go after Vulcan,

c) if they are wrong again, you go after the multiplexer.

What do you say?

PS If you want to see the "send to" WPT format simply activate the nmea monitor window of OpenCPN before transmitting the WPT. The sentence appears on this screen and is human readable.

barnakiel
Old 23-08-2020, 16:00   #26

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Several weeks ago I wanted to provide a link to some interesting configurations that Hakan and Barnakiel conceived. I was being locked out of the wiki at that time and could not do that, but it is working now, so.. for your consideration. I don't know how helpful these will be but you will understand the issue better.

Send Wpt Rte over IP
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pt-rte-over-ip

Here is the thread
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2283405
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 16:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Several weeks ago I wanted to provide a link to some interesting configurations that Hakan and Barnakiel conceived. I was being locked out of the wiki at that time and could not do that, but it is working now, so.. for your consideration. I don't know how helpful these will be but you will understand the issue better.

Send Wpt Rte over IP
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...pt-rte-over-ip

Here is the thread
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2283405

Too bad OpenCPN team decided that our idea was not worth implementing.

It is 2020 and OpenCPN still cannot sent a WPT to IP.

How I sorted this out is by getting ourselves a gps that imports gpx files.

Sub-optimal, but at least works.

Cheers,
b.

Tags
gps