Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 01:16   #1

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon
Seral port problems

Apologies if this is the incorrect forum as it is more of a PC problem than an OpenCPN issue, but it is while trying to get OpenCPN set up according to my needs. I am a Google operator in that when I come across a problem I Google it and then follow the instructions to solve it - i have not been able to find a solution to the issue described below.

I have OpenCPN running on an I7 fanless PC running Ubuntu 20.04 - it works great so far with Seatalk data gathered on UDP via a WiFi multiplexer.

I also run the VictronConnect app to monitor my batteries, with data coming in via serial>USB converter (it comes up as something like /dev/usb-ttys0) - this also works very well.

Now the problem - I tried to add a Ublox GPS with a TTL>USB converter so that I can still have GPS data without requiring the Raymarine instruments to be on. I connected and installed the equipment (which appears as something like /dev/usb-ttys1) and no luck.

After fooling around for some time I unplugged the Victron USB and tried again - it worked! so I plugged the Victron USB back in and nothing worked. Unplugged Victron USB - worked again.

I decided that this must be one of those Linux puzzles so tried the same thing on my laptop running Win10 - same result, even though they come up as different comm ports.

Both USB devices are FTDI, so I went back to Ubuntu and tried a Prolific TTL>USB with identical result. Both programs work flawlessly on there own, but I cant seem to add a 2nd Serial>USB device even though they identify as separate comm ports.

Any thoughts?
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:12   #2

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon
Re: Seral port problems

Bumping this up in the hope that some ideas are put forward...
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote