Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2023, 01:13   #16

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran
Re: Ships icon issues

Hi Hakan, I tried that and no change, I've been talking to Furuno about the gps roll over that happened earlier this year and have been advised that the gps will still work fine just the date will not be correct, the serial, nmea cable I have is not correct for data transfer from a computer to the gps so I'm not able to do a version upgrade for the gps, we will be moving on tomorrow, currently at anchor, so we'll see how it goes then, just seems so strange that it fine last time we used opencpn. Could you see that the sentences from the gps were correct? I do appreciate your time Hakan.

Cheers Rod.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 01:56   #17

Boat: Najad 34

Rod...
Reading your post above I wasn't correct before:
"COM3 is the Vesper AIS, COM4 is the Furuno GP33 GPS"
So, its' COM4 you would remove and make a new connection. (Not COM3, sorry)
Did you tried that as well?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 02:01   #18

I will try a completely different com port for the gps, on a side note I fired up a different laptop which has a version of opencpn 5.6 and it all worked so it's coming down to something amiss with the laptop that we've been using for the last couple of years.
Old 14-08-2023, 03:03   #19

You may this strange Hakan, On the laptop that we've been using for a couple of years now and not the old one, reverted right back to version 5.6 and it all works, bemused, I'm now thinking that maybe a Windows 10 update is not playing well with 5.8.4, not at my end anyway, maybe someone else is having similar issues but hey it could only happen to me, I can't explain why it all operates as it should on version 5.6 on Windows 10
Old 18-08-2023, 06:46   #20

Boat: Endeavour 42

You may be on to something with a Win 10 issue. I am running OpenCPN latest, using NMEA 2000 input. I found that after the latest Win Update, I was having difficulty on reboot, some of the USB Ports did not open correctly.

I am Running an Intel NUC 7, and noted that there were a bunch of driver updates that were released in Aug 2023, I installed them, and everything started working.
eemahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 17:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemahoney View Post
You may be on to something with a Win 10 issue. I am running OpenCPN latest, using NMEA 2000 input. I found that after the latest Win Update, I was having difficulty on reboot, some of the USB Ports did not open correctly.

I am Running an Intel NUC 7, and noted that there were a bunch of driver updates that were released in Aug 2023, I installed them, and everything started working.
As we are back on V5.6 and all is now working fine, we are travelling at the moment and don't have real good internet access so I'll wait till we get in a good reception area to check on drivers but I have noticed that for what ever reason opencpn now takes for ever to load with what ever version I'm using, very weird.
Old 18-08-2023, 19:37   #22

I had the exact same problem and the remedy was a new antenna as the chart plotter wasn’t getting the signal as the data relay from the antenna was bad.
bdurham49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 19:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurham49 View Post
I had the exact same problem and the remedy was a new antenna as the chart plotter wasn’t getting the signal as the data relay from the antenna was bad.
New antenna? Opencpn is running with Furuno gp33 which is operating correctly, as previously mentioned rolling back from 5.8.4 to 5.6 and all is well, upgrading up to 5.8.4 seem to induce problems for me.
Old 19-08-2023, 13:59   #24

I am wondering if compass data is being seen, and/or compass needs calibrating?
vk4hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2023, 14:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk4hr View Post
I am wondering if compass data is being seen, and/or compass needs calibrating?
I'm not sure what you mean about compass needs calibrating as opencpn is getting its data from our Furuno GP33, I can only think that for some reason that for me V5.8.4 isn't reading the GPS correctly or completely 🤔, if there's something that I haven't set up correctly on opencpn I don't know about it.
Old 19-08-2023, 16:30   #26

Have you tried adding a usb dongle gps?
Is there a calibration menu on the gp33?
vk4hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2023, 16:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk4hr View Post
Have you tried adding a usb dongle gps?
Is there a calibration menu on the gp33?
No dongle gps available to me atm, I don't believe there is a calibration menu in the GP33.
Old 10-11-2023, 19:23   #28

Hi all,
I'm going to have one more crack at trying get the ships icon course and heading projection line to display when using any version of Opencpn above V5.6.2. For me any version above V5.6.2 will not show the predicted course and heading line, I've attached two screenshots one using V5.8.2 which is impossible for me anyway to get this to show, the other screenshot is of V5.6.2 which it will show no problems, previous posts on this subject will show all previous steps to try and get this to show but nothing seems to make this display, any other ideas are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (45).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	283265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (46).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	283266  

Old 11-11-2023, 06:25   #29
Marine Service Provider

double...

From the screenshots, in 5.8.2, I see that COG is not being received. On screen status bar (at the bottom), I see Lat/Lon, and then "SOG:0 kts COG---".

This is the basic problem. OCPN is not receiving COG, so no course predictor is possible.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 22:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
double...

From the screenshots, in 5.8.2, I see that COG is not being received. On screen status bar (at the bottom), I see Lat/Lon, and then "SOG:0 kts COG---".

This is the basic problem. OCPN is not receiving COG, so no course predictor is possible.

Dave
I know this is a bit old now but I still have this issue, now have V5.8.4 with the same problem, so what can I do to get Opencpn to read the COG? It does in V5.6.