Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2024, 00:07   #31

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Ships icon issues

COG is used and shown if SOG has a value that is not 0 or close to.
If the ship does not make speed over ground, then course over ground has no relevance.
To show the ship's true direction when no speed, e.g. moored, you need a compass heading.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 00:27   #32

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
COG is used and shown if SOG has a value that is not 0 or close to.
If the ship does not make speed over ground, then course over ground has no relevance.
To show the ship's true direction when no speed, e.g. moored, you need a compass heading.
That's so strange, as you have probably noticed I have been dealing with this phenomenon for quite some time with v5.8.4 and have just a few hrs ago reverted back again to 5.6.2 and I now have COG showing along with a course line and a COG showing up next to SOG, whilst in our berth, no settings have been changed, reinstalled 5.6.2 with original settings, so, there has to be something different with 5.8.4. Even when on the move with a SOG there is no COG displaying with 5.8.4.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 01:13   #33

Boat: Najad 34

re "Even when on the move with a SOG there is no COG displaying with 5.8.4"
That's strange and not reproducible here or what we know for others.

The COG and SOG values are produced by the GPS/GNSS receiver.
If possible could you use the VDR plugin and record a file while you have a SOG more than, say, one knots.
Please publish the file here. You may rename the text file to end with e.g. pdf to fit this forum's upload rules. (vdr.txt >> vdr.txt.pdf)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 01:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
That's so strange, as you have probably noticed I have been dealing with this phenomenon for quite some time with v5.8.4 and have just a few hrs ago reverted back again to 5.6.2 and I now have COG showing along with a course line and a COG showing up next to SOG, whilst in our berth, no settings have been changed, reinstalled 5.6.2 with original settings, so, there has to be something different with 5.8.4. Even when on the move with a SOG there is no COG displaying with 5.8.4.
I just had a play with a parallel 5.6 & 5.8 on another machine. Can't reproduce what you are seeing, though in the past occasionally there will be just enough movement for a COG sentence to be sent by the GPS.
Another way to create COG in 5.6 when stationary is to select "calculate SOG & COG from position changes" in the ships/own ship menu. This doesn't seem to work in 5.8 though.

barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 21:58   #35

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
re "Even when on the move with a SOG there is no COG displaying with 5.8.4"
That's strange and not reproducible here or what we know for others.

The COG and SOG values are produced by the GPS/GNSS receiver.
If possible could you use the VDR plugin and record a file while you have a SOG more than, say, one knots.
Please publish the file here. You may rename the text file to end with e.g. pdf to fit this forum's upload rules. (vdr.txt >> vdr.txt.pdf)
As it's blowing dogs off their chains & oysters off the rocks here I'll do some testing when we can get out, it's just that 5.
8.4 is the only version of opencpn that this has incurred with for me, maybe 5.9 may be different, as we've tried quite a few things to get to the bottom of this issue with no luck maybe I'll just wait for the official version of 5.9 and try that.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 00:58   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
8.4 is the only version of opencpn that this has incurred with for me, maybe 5.9 may be different, as we've tried quite a few things to get to the bottom of this issue with no luck maybe I'll just wait for the official version of 5.9 and try that.
See the post above, is "calculate SOG & COG from position changes" selected? There's a sample vdr file in https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/main/vdr/index.html , just tried that, I have no heading when sog is close to zero but the file works fine when the boat is moving.

Stationary it doesn't

barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote