Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2015, 13:45   #1

Boat: Fraser 42, 42 ft
Simrad G4 new installation ethernet issues

I have a newly installed Simrad G4 with a computer as the monitor. The qualification window shows checks for OpenGl, boat position and heading. The boxes for Radar present and Radar sending data are unchecked. The ZeroConf line shows only two groups of the IP address, alternating between 192.168. and 169.254. I can't resize the window to show the rest of the address.

I used the pinout for the "Yellow" ethernet cable given in a helpful post in the thread on OpenCPN Simrad/Lowrance plugin . . . for the computer end of the cable between the RI 10 interface box and the computer. Thanks for this.

I think I need some help with network permissions for the program and the IP address problem.

I'm running Win 8.1

Rod
Sawleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:02   #2

Re: Simrad G4 new installation ethernet issues

I may not be doing this the right way, but I want to add to my post (I can't see how to edit). I changed the settings in the firewall to give OpenCPN permission for both public and private networks and I now get checks in both the ethernet boxes. I also have checks in the position and heading boxes, so all that remains is the OpenGL box, still unchecked. I am working on this with Lenovo. Thanks for the posts in the OpenCPN Simrad/Lowrance radar plugin thread. they got me the pinout for the ethernet cable and the hint to make sure that OpenCPPN has permission for both network types.
Old 01-06-2015, 13:25   #3

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawleeah View Post
I may not be doing this the right way, but I want to add to my post (I can't see how to edit). I changed the settings in the firewall to give OpenCPN permission for both public and private networks and I now get checks in both the ethernet boxes. I also have checks in the position and heading boxes, so all that remains is the OpenGL box, still unchecked. I am working on this with Lenovo. Thanks for the posts in the OpenCPN Simrad/Lowrance radar plugin thread. they got me the pinout for the ethernet cable and the hint to make sure that OpenCPPN has permission for both network types.
Maybe you already did this, but OpenGL needs to be enabled in OpenCPN:

(Wrench)->Display->Advanced_tab->Graphics_checkbox Use Accelerated Graphics (OpenGL) checked

You may also want to PreBuild a cache of your charts under Options, but depending on the number of charts you have installed, it can take a long time.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:04   #4

Thanks for the hint that I need to enable OpenGL in OpenCPN. That was my problem. The radar is now running, showing a nice red overlay against the chart. I must have known this at some point, because I did get the OpenGL box checked on a machine at home when I was first exploring the plugin. Then I forgot it along the way.

Your suggestion on charts; changes of scale are very quick, so I probably won't bother with organizing them.

Now I go to eat humble pie with Lenovo.

Thanks again,

Rod

Tags
installation, simrad