Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2021, 22:16   #1

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft
Simrad Halo 20 and OpenCPN controls

Hi,

The radar is designed to mate with a Multi Functional Device from Simrad and there is no User Manual available for the radar by itself, only an Installation Manual.

My radar is functioning correctly within OpenCPN and I believe I can see "all" the screens to control the radar. However, I frequently cannot pick up recreational vessels of say 20-40 ft that are within 200 ft of me...or farther. I have a feeling that "default" settings are not obtaining the results that I expect from this broadband radar and would like to contact Technical Support.

Has anybody contacted Simrad Technical Support while using radar? Do they disconnect you and block future calls? Just kidding. But, am not sure what to say if they ask which (Simrad) MFD I'm using?? I assume all the settings are the same, but my screen will likely not look like anything they may be familiar with.

This issue may well be similar with Garmin radar tech support.

Thanks for your help.

Armand
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 23:11   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Simrad Halo 20 and OpenCPN controls

Armand..
I've a Navico 3G so no Halo details.
Do I understand you correct that you've both a MFD and OCPN-radar_pi simultaneously?
If so are there target details detected on the MFD that are not visible on OCPN using the same settings?

Discussing OCPN and radar_pi with Navico(Simrad) dealers/support is normally not successfully. They are not interested in selling just the radar scanner wo the MFD and some even claim "we are hackers and code thieves". (Which BTW is definitely not true.)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 22:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Armand..
I've a Navico 3G so no Halo details.
Do I understand you correct that you've both a MFD and OCPN-radar_pi simultaneously?
If so are there target details detected on the MFD that are not visible on OCPN using the same settings?

Discussing OCPN and radar_pi with Navico(Simrad) dealers/support is normally not successfully. They are not interested in selling just the radar scanner wo the MFD and some even claim "we are hackers and code thieves". (Which BTW is definitely not true.)
Hakan,

I do NOT have an MFD. Sorry I was not more explicit. Your comment on discussing "radar pi with Navico(Simrad) dealers/support is normally not successful" is exactly what I was seeking advice on. Bummer, but understood from Simrad's viewpoint.

I did find the manual to the BR24 Radar helpful as the controls seem to be about 90% the same. Also noted that by splitting the radar ethernet connection you could use both an MFD and OpenCPN on a computer. But, buying even a decent used MFD would be pretty expensive just for testing purposes.

In order for the radar to "see" a nearby 40 ft vessel, I increased the gain about 50%, and then got a fairly weak return. That seems extreme for a unit that is supposed to be especially good at nearby targets. I honestly didn't know what else to adjust and was hoping that Simrad could clue me in. I will search around for a forum that includes the Simrad broadband radar.

By the way, you may know Panbo (marine electronics hub) and Ben Ellison just did a nice history on Simrad now being 75 years old. Quite interesting.

https://panbo.com/simrad-is-75-years...nd-doing-fine/

Thanks,

Armand
Old 30-09-2021, 01:31   #4

Armand..
Thanks for the link. I do agree, at least old, Simrad gadgets are very fine. Not less APs. If Navico's economists will make impact on future quality I don't know.

The wiki for radar_pi settings is here: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...wiki/Operation

For best sensitivity there are some settings to play with.
  • Range in Auto
  • Gain in Auto.
  • Rain clutter: 0%
  • Sea clutter: Auto Harbour
  • Target boost: Test different settings
  • Target expansion: Test different settings
Good luck
Håkan
Old 05-10-2021, 11:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Armand..
Thanks for the link. I do agree, at least old, Simrad gadgets are very fine. Not less APs. If Navico's economists will make impact on future quality I don't know.

The wiki for radar_pi settings is here: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...wiki/Operation

For best sensitivity there are some settings to play with.
  • Range in Auto
  • Gain in Auto.
  • Rain clutter: 0%
  • Sea clutter: Auto Harbour
  • Target boost: Test different settings
  • Target expansion: Test different settings
Good luck
Håkan
Hakan,

The Wiki does show more controls than the BR24 info and I've printed it to take along with me. Your list of items to check will be helpful.

I think it is odd that with "default" settings I often can't see a close target. I am thinking something is amiss. Just a shame that I can't contact Simrad tech support and expect SUPPORT. I may call and say that I have one of the least expensive MFD's (apparently many don't come with any charts) and am trying to use it only for radar. The controls should be the same, though I'll be on a computer screen using a mouse (or touchscreen). At least it seems like its worth a try to call them. I don't happen to know anybody who is proficient on any of the Simrad radars, and of course, all on MFD"s anyway. If I only could speak Norwegian!

Thanks,

Armand
Old 05-10-2021, 12:42   #6

Armand..
The BR24 scanner has less controls and features than a Halo so that's correct.
Be sure you have selected a Halo as the radar type. (Wouldn't connect else so that's probably OK.)
Open the "Control Halo" and examine all menu possibilities to learn using them.
In your case it may be you've set a long range, instead of Auto, when zooming in looking for close targets?

Speaking to Simrad support about OCPN and the radar plugin is probably not a good idea. They don't know about it and would of course convince you to use a MFD. "Nothing else will work".
The controls in radar_pi would be more or less the same as in a MFD but Navico/Simrad has nothing to do with that.
If you think something is missed you better discuss here or on https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/radar_pi/issues

Tags
enc, opencpn, simrad