Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 06:48   #1

Slackware 14.2 - plugin compile probs.

For anybody who is having problems compiling the available 4.4.0 plugins and is using slackware 14.2 Try changing the recommended wxGTK to wxGTK3 (available as a slackbuild) and installing OpenCPN via the src2pkg route. All plugins should then compile and install properly. Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.I had difficulty compiling the plugins using the directions supplied on the OpenCPN site. Rgds, Paul H.
paulha57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 07:19   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Slackware 14.2 - plugin compile probs.

Should this information be added to user docs Install O section?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 15:36   #3

@rgleason Sorry I don't know what the procedures are for submitting reports. Just wanted to give a brief heads up to anybody using Slackware. I can't imagine that there will be that many. Rgds, Paul H.
Old 22-08-2016, 17:41   #4

Paul as far as I know Slackware is not supported, and we have no Installation documentation in the USER Manual.

OpenCPN Installation | Official OpenCPN Homepage

If you'd like to write up a installation directions we could include it in the manual, but I don't know if it would be fully supported. Pavel or Dave would be able to answer that question.
Old 22-08-2016, 23:29   #5

@rgleason Stupidly, I didn't RTFM,and consequently, I didn't realise that Slackware wasn't officially supported.Instead I followed the instructions on the OpenCPN web page.They are hidden away, but hopefully the following Url will get you there:- Compiling on Slackware | Official OpenCPN Homepage In my opinion these instructions are pretty spot on.The only problem I have with them is regarding the wxGTK installation.You can either install wxGTK3 in addition to wxGTK or you can remove wxGTK and substitute wxGTK3.OpenCPN will then install o.k. and you will be able to compile and install all of the available plugins. Maybe a pointer or addendum in the manual would be warranted,provided that someone,more qualified than myself, could confirm/deny what I've written above. Rgds Paul H.
Old 23-08-2016, 22:51   #6

@rgleason It seems as if my last post has disappeared into the ether or is sitting in some system limbo.If it turns up then please ignore. Anyway, in my last, I mentioned that I wasn't aware of the no official support for slackware in the manual. I followed the instructions on the OpenCPN webpage at Compiling on Slackware | Official OpenCPN Homepage These instructions are spot on,IMHO, except for the the last part,which recommends using wxGTK or wxPython packages.I found that using wxGTK3 is the way to go. I wouldn't presume to write something for a manual when the installation info has already been provided on the website (only needs a small correction) and until somebody more knowledgeable than me has confirmed/denied what I've suggested. Rgds Paul H.
Old 24-08-2016, 20:42   #7

PaulH. Thanks, I had forgotten about that section in the devleopers manual. Perhaps it should be moved into the User Manual Install section!

Thanks for reacquainting me with it.

To others, is there some reason for NOT moving it to the User Manual, Install section?

===
What am I thinking? This is being built and compliled!
It stays right where it is!

Thanks Paul.
Old 28-08-2016, 13:47   #8

Question Re: Slackware 14.2 - plugin compile probs.

The plugins are compiling and installing along with the main app. i see they are installed by looking in the directory structure. they are not however showing up in the gui. the main program seems to work ok accept no plugins are available .
is there some special dependency for the plugins only that i may not be installing. i am not seeing any compile time errors. is there a cmake environment variable that i can use to turn off the plugin auto compiling so as to compile them separately?

I am using my own slackbuild scripts to build the opencpn pkg. i have been doing this for years and never had a problem with plugins. i thought maybe something changed and i just don't know what it is yet so i tried the src2pkg method. still no plugin access in the gui.

is anyone else having this problem. im using slackware64-14.2
slackerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 14:12   #9

Boat: Dufour 35

slackerson

Have you activated the plugins in Options->Plugins ?

What does your $HOME/.opencpn/opencpn.log say about your plugins?

/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:07   #10

Well that is the problem. there is nothing showing up in Options -> Plugins in order to activate.
but since you say to look in the log file I inspected it and found the following.

19:50:00 CDT: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location /usr/lib/opencpn
19:50:00 CDT: Directory /usr/lib/opencpn does not exist.

the problem looks like that since im am on a 64 bit machine and the plugin libs were installed to /usr/lib64/opencpn that for some reason the plugin manager was not informed of this.. is there a compile time option to correct this?

for now i just symlinked it...now the output for the chart downloader plugin for instance ...

19:57:45 CDT: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: /usr/lib/opencpn/libchartdldr_pi.so
19:57:45 CDT: Error: /usr/lib/opencpn/libchartdldr_pi.so: undefined symbol: _ZTI18opencpn_plugin_113

the opencpn.conf shows it enabled...

[PlugIns/libchartdldr_pi.so]
bEnabled=1

but still not showing up in the gui.

are the plugins compiling for 32bit or something? why doesn't the plugin manager know to look in the /usr/lib64 dir?
Old 28-08-2016, 18:08   #11

@slackerson I compiled the plugins,outside of the opencpn source tree using the instructions on the github pages.Once compiled, I didn't use "make install" ,instead I manually copied the .so files from the build directory to the /usr/lib/opencpn directory.Also, I copied any data files across to the /usr/share/opencpn/plugins directory.Note: you have to make the relevant directory and data sub directory in /usr/share/opencpn/plugins beforehand. I'm running slack14.2 64 bit + multilibs on my laptop. Rgds Paul H.
Old 28-08-2016, 18:27   #12

i edited my previous post just now. not sure if you saw the changes yet.

but it looks like the errror ...

19:57:45 CDT: Error: /usr/lib/opencpn/libchartdldr_pi.so: undefined symbol: _ZTI18opencpn_plugin_113

is complaining like it might think it is a 32bit binary. yours maybe working due to the multilibs. i do not have multilibs nor do i wish to. do you know how to instruct the plugin to compile for 64bit if that is the issue?

ps. i have compiled them outside the tree also but to no avail...this all used to work just fine in the version 3 series
Old 28-08-2016, 19:01   #13

@slackerson If you give me a bit of time i'll upgrade one of my desktops to a pure 64 bit slack14.2 and test things there.At the minute it's running slack14.1 64 bit. Rgds Paul H.
Old 28-08-2016, 19:27   #14

you don't have to do that. i got it working. my 32bit jibberish was off track. although the plugin manager not knowing to look in the lib64 directory is a problem.

i had compiled several versions of opencpn while troubleshooting.

the master branch which is version 4.5.0 (at this time) was compiled with wxGTK3. and my symlink solution above was producing errors.

but with v4.4.0 compiled with wxGTK and the symlink applied allowed the libs to be loaded and everything works.

so im not sure if the plugins don't understand wxGTK3 or the master branch plugin api changed or if wxGTK3 was compiled incorrectly but v4.4.0 with wxGTK and the symlink fixed it.

im gonna try compiling the master branch with wxGTK and v4.4.0 with wxGTK3 to see what happens.

thanks for your help...directing me to the log file was a real eye opener.
Old 28-08-2016, 20:18   #15

@slackerson Apologies,my laptop is running the 4.5.0 version with wxGTK3.I'm getting worse in my dotage..

Tags
plug