Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 03:50   #1

SOG from GPS

I am using OCPN 4.6.1 and tried last cruise to use the logbook plugin with the automatic timer, auto distance and auto course triggers set.

Made following observations which I am not sure if its a bug or just some settings I missed to adjust:

1. SOG data come from GPS and show a ever changing value of 0.01 - 0.3 kt even when not moving!(Have now verified thsi also when at home on land) Sounds to me like no damping is on the calculation from the coordinate changes.

2. When I loose the GPS signal a 00.00.00 coordinate pair is received and in the logbook this gets interpreted as some useless distance traveled. When correct signal returns same value is again added to the log.
Has anyone else observed this behavior? - I think it is a bug in the calculation of the distance traveled, as obviously useless coordinate pairs should be ignored. (I shall try to attach a screenshot)

3. I noticed the option to hold many crew members and have only the onboard ones visible. Would be nice to have also many boats in some database/file. Also for the crew list an entry for skipper license nr etc and SRC details owuld be great as in Europe such data are typically required - shall I add this 2 requirements as a feature request?

Ahoi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	145532  
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 04:45   #2

Re: SOG from GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
I am using OCPN 4.6.1 and tried last cruise to use the logbook plugin with the automatic timer, auto distance and auto course triggers set.

Made following observations which I am not sure if its a bug or just some settings I missed to adjust:

1. SOG data come from GPS and show a ever changing value of 0.01 - 0.3 kt even when not moving!(Have now verified thsi also when at home on land) Sounds to me like no damping is on the calculation from the coordinate changes.

2. When I loose the GPS signal a 00.00.00 coordinate pair is received and in the logbook this gets interpreted as some useless distance traveled. When correct signal returns same value is again added to the log.
Has anyone else observed this behavior? - I think it is a bug in the calculation of the distance traveled, as obviously useless coordinate pairs should be ignored. (I shall try to attach a screenshot)

3. I noticed the option to hold many crew members and have only the onboard ones visible. Would be nice to have also many boats in some database/file. Also for the crew list an entry for skipper license nr etc and SRC details owuld be great as in Europe such data are typically required - shall I add this 2 requirements as a feature request?

Ahoi
For point 2 you can easily delete the row with the 0's position. It will auto recalculate the distances.

For point 3 you can open a feature request if you want.

Peter
ptulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 08:07   #3

Re: SOG from GPS

@Peter: Thanks for help, didnt know that the mileage gets recalculated.
However there is still something strange in the auto entries, as the trigger >10nm was invoked but distance is only 0,01 ???
Also on 00:00:00 coordinate pairs a speed is recorded but on other pairs not.

Is this behavior only on my setup ? Can anyone using the autolog functions please confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (5)_LI.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	145711  
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps