Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 00:59   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Some Crashing Problems on XP

I downloaded the latest version of OpenCPN a couple days ago and have been having problems.

It works fine with cm93 charts, but I have a package of ENC charts for South Korea (that worked fine with previous versions of OCPN) which causes the program to crash (on an Acer netbook running XP Pro).

Twice I was forced to reinstall 2.3.1 because on startup it would try to open the ENC charts and repeatedly crash. It didn't matter whether I installed the charts during setup or afterward.

Playing with some NOAA raster charts of the US and Philippines (that also ran fine on previous versions) I have also caused 2.3.1 to crash , but not as automatically as with the South Korea ENCs.

And suggestions would be appreciated. I could reinstall an older version.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 04:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Tried different things for a few hours, constant crashing, then reinstalled 2.1.0 and everything works as it should. It must be something that I have or haven't done, but I am happy and don't want to mess about.
Old 24-01-2011, 06:02   #3

Boat: Amel Sharki
jimbim,

it might be usefull to post your opencpn.log file here. See where to find this log file at Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage further downwards of this page. Perhaps you will delete all the files in that folder also before a new install. They will be rebuild automatically then.
You might got a message about your crash on the screen and a screenshot of this message might be usefull too.
If this does not help I am shure the programmers of OpenCPN will be glad to see the headers of your Korean charts for further examinations.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 06:25   #4

Boat: Najad391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
Tried different things for a few hours, constant crashing, then reinstalled 2.1.0 and everything works as it should. It must be something that I have or haven't done, but I am happy and don't want to mess about.
May be you can try this fix
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post547534
janp391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 06:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Carcode,

Not sure how the log works, but assume that the pertinent files are deleted when I uninstall, which I did the last few times I had to reinstall 2.3.1 because it would not let me open the program (as it tried to open the Korean ENCs) without success.

Be happy to send anyone the ENCs or info from them. Not sure where they came from. A Korean sailor gave them to us when we arrived. For some small ports and fishing harbors they have a lot more detail than cm93 charts.

Just a note, got no messages about crashes, just the usual box asking if I want to report the mishap to Microsoft.
Old 24-01-2011, 06:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by janp391 View Post
Thanks, will try that.
Old 24-01-2011, 08:25   #7

Boat: Dufour 35
jimbim
I would be very interested in a small sample ENC chart, as well as one of the problematic raster charts. If I can't find the problem myself, I'll make sure Dave becomes aware of the problem.
I'll PM you a mail address.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:06   #8

Boat: Dufour 35
jimbim

Thank you for the sample charts.
I have tried the charts on three different systems, Linux Ubuntu 10.10, Win XP and Win7.
There were no problems at all on Linux.
Both XP and Win7 crashed a few seconds after initializing the SENC creation, as described by "jimbim". There were no informative or suspicious log entries. I'll enter this as a bug in the FlySpray tracker.
FS#346 : Crash when generating Korean senc:s
Maybe someone with a development system on win can have look.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 03:46   #9
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Thomas, interesting to hear.

I will keep 2.1.0 on that netbook, at least until March when we are sailing away from Korea, but upgrade to 2.3.1 on our Ubuntu machine.