Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2014, 03:04   #1

Split and Extend for RTE and TRK

I noticed that in recent betas the Split and Extend (join) functionality for routes and tracks is not present.

While I am not attached to this particular user interface and implementation, I would gladly see it there, or an equivalent replacement...

When planning, I use the Split route a lot for cutting off the part of the route that has already been covered, to keep the starting point close to current position. This is in context of long passages, which I plan with GRIB forecasts (using custom 2.5.1318). The route in this case is not an exact route to follow by autopilot, just an approximation to serve as basis for looking at wind-tide-time forecast for subsequent waypoints.

Such routes are too long (too many waypoints) to build by hand... I first draw a track along the planned passage, I convert it to route with RM "route from track", what gives me evenly-spaced waypoints roughly coinciding with subsequent GRIB frames. Then, as the voyage progresses, I cut off and discard the initial part of the route...

The Extend function is critical for organizing recorded tracks. On a smaller boat, for energy saving, the laptop is often switched off when offshore in deep water. Still, I like to have the accurate track recorded, so I do it with a small Holux box, and a Garmin handheld, which I import into OCPN periodically, when convenient. I could never master the techniques for managing track rollover on these devices, so I usually end up with three sets of tracks, in principle all true, but each one has holes and overlaps with other tracks in different places. To make a single complete track by hand, selecting, cutting and glueing the pieces is not easy at all.

First I load all tracks. Then I select one last part, and keep Extending it blindly until no more possibility exists for extension. Some holes will still remain, but it is easier to look at each one and repair what can not be joined automatically.

This process is far from perfect, but without split and extend it is very hard to have a nice record of a long voyage.

Using external tools for planning and reviewing, nice as they are, is not really as convenient, so I hope for such built-in functionality in the future.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 07:26   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Re: Split and Extend for RTE and TRK

Hi PjotrC

I am using the last beta, or more exactly the last sources in GIT and the functions are here and work ( at least in Windows )

Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 07:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

PjotrC...

I find that on 3.3.1824 that Route extend/split still works fine.

More info, please?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 02:20   #4

Thanks Dave and Jean Pierre for looking at this...

On my Windows Vista the previous beta had the Split and Extend buttons greyed out in the Route Properties Dialog, the 3.3.1824 has no such buttons. Have they moved?

It looked to me rather as a planned slimming than a bug, so I did not report before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split_buttons.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	85692  
Old 28-07-2014, 02:39   #5

Boat: Amel Sharki

Have you tried to scroll down the window? Make it larger.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 04:40   #6

Gerhard,

Thanks for the tip! Routine, routine...

Piotr