Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2022, 13:13   #1

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Splitting a track and the duplicated track point

When you split a track, the point selected when split is included both as the last point in the first part and as the first point in the second part. In some ways that makes sense so that if you display both parts they join up.

However, this is sometimes not what is required.
Suppose I sail one day from 9:00 to 21:00, anchor overnight and then sail again from 9:00 to 21:00 next day. Unfortunately, I forgot to stop track recording between the two passages. The track duration shows as 36 hours. But I want to log the two days separately. So I select the first point of the second day and split the track. The second day runs from 9:00 to 21:00 on the second day - 12 hours. Correct.
But the first part has the selected point too and the duration runs from 9:00 on the first day to 9:00 on the second, giving a duration of 24 hours rather than 12 hours. Only way out is to export the first track as a GPX file and edit out the last point.

I think it should be possible to avoid repeating the point at the split. Perhaps the best option would be to add the ability in the Track properties window to delete a track point. This would also allow cleaning up a track by topping and tailing it.

Opinions?
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 13:48   #2

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Splitting a track and the duplicated track point

Or just split the first part close to the end. The new first part will stop at 21:00. Discard the new second part.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 14:56   #3

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Re: Splitting a track and the duplicated track point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Or just split the first part close to the end. The new first part will stop at 21:00. Discard the new second part.
Ah yes - thank you. That should work. Now why didn’t I think of that?

I still think being able to delete a track point in the Properties window would be useful.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote