Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 10:01   #1

Splitting and extending routes and tracks

Finally I managed to sort out my past years' tracks...

Attached is a prototype of split/extend functionality for routes and tracks. It works from the Properties Dialog.

For splitting, the split point is selected as the row in the listing. The point-of-split becomes part of both new routes (shared) or tracks (cloned). Original route/track is deleted.

Extending is possible only when it is obvious, what should be joined with the current route (current = visible in the Dialog). Eligible are all visible routepoints shared with, or lying nearby to the current route's endpoint. If there is exactly 1 such point, then it is considered obvious, and the Extend button is enabled. If there are more, some should be hidden before proceeding, until just 1 remains.

Routes are extended _forward_, based on the geographic location (next routepoint must be very near, as when mouse-extending the route).

Tracks are extended _backward_, based on the timestamp sequence (a track is selected, which ends as the latest one before the start of current track - simple, isn't it? ). Tracks are extended as a single segment if they share the extending point, otherwise a new, disjoint segment is added. Joining 2 tracks (i.e. extending a track) results in just 1 track remaining. Maybe the unambiguity of choice should be required also here...

Attached are 2 examples of joining a long route after an unplanned stopover. One example shows exact sharing of extension point, in the other one - the current route ends (before extension) nearby the extension point.

Works for me... enjoy.

Piotr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extend_route_sharedS.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	25415   Click image for larger version

Name:	extend_route_nearbyS.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	25416  

Attached Files
File Type: doc 0001-Implement-split-extend-for-RTE-TRK-in-0310.patch.doc (22.9 KB, 81 views)
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 11:22   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Splitting and extending routes and tracks

Piotr,
very good work Plays pretty nice with the shared routepoint bug
Will get more intuitive as part of the right-click menu. Which in turn will start getting too big...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 11:34   #3

Pavel,

The Properties Dialog seems the good place for split/extend operation:

- very likely you will be immediately editing the name, from_location, to_location
- you see all the details, especially for tracks
- trackpoints are not individually selectable
- there is a lot of context information with Properties Dialog open, that otherwise must clicked into somehow

RightClick seems only easy for splitting routes, otherwise not.

I also sympathize with the idea of sharing named waypoints, and cloning anonymous or numbered routepoints. Should work.

I would appreciate very much if you could test this along with your work on the RoutePoints.

Piotr
Old 23-03-2011, 12:43   #4
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Vuri nize.

Now we need a route join function...

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 13:13   #5

Dan...

A "split" followed immediately by extending the first part results in the original route restored (plus an extra copy of the tail part remaining). Extending a route where the extension point is the starting point of the other route does the join, will that do...?

If both routes are very distant, you need to supply the missing leg anyway...

Piotr
Old 23-03-2011, 13:39   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Dan...

A "split" followed immediately by extending the first part results in the original route restored (plus an extra copy of the tail part remaining). Extending a route where the extension point is the starting point of the other route does the join, will that do...?

Piotr
Very good! Now I am set.

What I do is do route with legs via ICW, and other routes via the outside. Along with side trip routes. The night before, I'll just join up the routes I need for what I've decided to do that day.

-dan
Old 23-03-2011, 13:53   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Dan...

Piotr
Very good! Now I am set.

What I do is create routes with legs via ICW, and other routes via the outside. Along with side trip routes. So, at intersection points there may be 2,3 or 4 routes all converging. The night before, I'll just join up the routes I need for what I've decided to do the next day. Or, if I'm not making the time I wanted to, or decide to head in early, I split the route and then join it with a side route that leads to a marina or anchor spot.

-dan
Old 24-03-2011, 00:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
What I do is create routes with legs via ICW, and other routes via the outside. Along with side trip routes. So, at intersection points there may be 2,3 or 4 routes all converging.
A couple of remarks with this setup:

- the Route Manager has some problems hiding routes with real marks inside (it hides the marks as well)
- one should be careful to notice that e.g. 2 routes are completely overlapping, what is not easy to see. Extend will work only when the extension point belongs just to one new route.
- so after an extend (if more extends are planned) there is a new route to hide...
- careful naming is needed, otherwise it becomes a mess in no time

Attached are screenshots:

1. all routes visible
2. only routes selected for joining visible
3. one route after 4 extends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all_routes_visible_S.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	25440   Click image for larger version

Name:	selected_routes_before_S.jpg