Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 10:50   #1

Static builds, plugins and debugging under MSW...

Hi All,

this is my first post on the forum, so I'd just like to say - thanks to all of the contributors for creating such a useful app

I'm trying to build a plugin which integrates with an existing wxWidgets codebase under MSW.

I've been working my way through the build configuration process and have a few questions:
  • The oCPN convention seems to be to use dynamic runtime libs with wxWidgets-2.8.12. My existing codebase is currently wxWidgets-2.9.3 and uses static libs. Does anyone have a CMake config which would allow oCPN to be compiled using my existing configuration?
  • The current oCPN CMakeLists file contains a requirement for wxWidgets-2.9+ - how does that sit with the need to use 2.8.12?
  • Is there an agreed approach to debugging standalone plugins, or are two builds needed - one integrated with oCPN for debugging and one standalone for packaging?
All the best,

Martin
evendine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:08   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Static builds, plugins and debugging under MSW...

Martin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by evendine View Post
Hi All,

this is my first post on the forum, so I'd just like to say - thanks to all of the contributors for creating such a useful app

I'm trying to build a plugin which integrates with an existing wxWidgets codebase under MSW.

I've been working my way through the build configuration process and have a few questions:
  • The oCPN convention seems to be to use dynamic runtime libs with wxWidgets-2.8.12. My existing codebase is currently wxWidgets-2.9.3 and uses static libs. Does anyone have a CMake config which would allow oCPN to be compiled using my existing configuration?
No we don't. The plugins won't work at all with statically linked wxWidgets as far as I can tell.
Quote:

• The current oCPN CMakeLists file contains a requirement for wxWidgets-2.9+ - how does that sit with the need to use 2.8.12?
It does not contain such a requirement. If you refer to lines 793-798 in CmakeLists.txt, read it again - it does nothing at all..

Quote:

• Is there an agreed approach to debugging standalone plugins, or are two builds needed - one integrated with oCPN for debugging and one standalone for packaging?
All the best,

Martin
Of course 2 builds are needed, if for nothing else because you can't mix release and debug libraries in one process. The "standard" approach to plugin debugging, at least mine, is to build in the tree and modify https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/b...nager.cpp#L240 to point to the place where the plugin DLL is built (<opencpnsrc>\build\plugins\xxx_pi\Debug). The packaging comes last in the development process.

The current master should build quite fine with wxwidgets3 even on Windows and we are probably going to migrate to it during this beta cycle.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 19:17   #3

Re: Static builds, plugins and debugging under MSW...

Thanks for the info Pavel - appreciate you must be busy - thanks for finding the time...
evendine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug