Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2017, 02:56   #346

Re: Tactics Plugin

Finally got an answer from NKE concerning the NMEA XDR problem.

They made a firmware update for the HEEL sensor v1.4 with the right information (ROLL instead of Heel Angle) and thanked me for the 'advise' so thank you to

(lucky that I had a Toplink Interface to update the sensor myself, I think there are few who can do it on there own and have to see the dealer)

After the update it showed that my sensor had to be mounted 'upsidedown' to get rid of an NKE error. I calibrated the heel angle with 180 degrees offset to solve this but flip the sensor did the trick. And at last I had to mount it with the back of the 'sensorcase' to the bow to get 'port' and 'starboard' right

During the test ride it looked all right, to be continued
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 14:38   #347

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

There is a github item for BR24Radar, 3G, 4G, Halo radars regarding Mast Rotation. When we had this question we did not know what to use for the Nmea0183 sentence, and the fellow did not respond with a recording that could be used.

This time it came up, I found the references below. The Tinley doc (attached) uses

In accord with Nmea 2.3/3 using $IIXDR,A,x.x,D,mastangle*hh

The LCJ Capteurs Ultrasonic Wind Sensor and Mast Rotation might be interesting to some.

======

Panbo Tacktic Mast Rotation http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/0..._solution.html Expensive

Some discussion on Expedition website Expedition Navigation Software » Wind direction on rotating mast

Other mast rotation systems: Wind Instruments see the bottom

Tinley has some documentation.... In accord with Nmea 2.3/3 using $IIXDR,A,x.x,D,mastangle*hh
NMEA Mast Rotation Converter Installation.pdf

MARINE Archives - LCJ capteurs: capteurs de vent, girouettes, anémomètres à ultrasons Ultrasonic Marine Wind Instrument & Rotating Mast Sensor

How to install LCJ Capteurs wind sensor on Open CPN ? - LCJ Capteurs How to Install with OpenCPN
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NMEA Mast Rotation Converter Installation.pdf (27.8 KB, 40 views)
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 13:18   #348

Thomas,
We may have had this link earlier, but Roel Smidt suggested it in another thread.
and I thought you might be interested in it's graphics https://uelze.de/CSC/kompass_en.html

captpat was asking about displaying dashboard features and compass around his boat.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2474075

Tactics has a part of the solution now.
He wanted - Active Route (Leg & Full Route) RNG &TTG added to Dashboard.
Also he wanted the compass centered on his power boat, which Tactics_pi does.
Old 08-09-2017, 22:54   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Thomas,
We may have had this link earlier, but Roel Smidt suggested it in another thread.
and I thought you might be interested in it's graphics https://uelze.de/CSC/kompass_en.html

captpat was asking about displaying dashboard features and compass around his boat.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2474075

Tactics has a part of the solution now.
He wanted - Active Route (Leg & Full Route) RNG &TTG added to Dashboard.
Also he wanted the compass centered on his power boat, which Tactics_pi does.
I just tried Tactics from the Beta file server - both 1.0.3 and an apparent later version 1.0007 - it appears that the GPS Compass starts out with a nice rendering of the compass points, but it refreshes as a much simpler picture with no "ticks" on the circumference etc. There is also a GPS Compass in the Dashboard plug-in which is similarly defeatured... are these shared or conflicting in some way? Tactics and Dashboard look like they have very similar sets of display items - it seems like it would be great to make them identical so that both can display either Local or UTC time, for instance, and both can display all the same data... Is it safe to use both of these at the same time?...

Thanks, CaptPat
captpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:21   #350

Tactics is for sailors, providing tactical performance tools. It used dashboard as a starter. They are totally separate plugins. You can use both no problem.
There is no plan to join them.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:37   #351

Quote:
Tactics is for sailors, providing tactical performance tools. It used dashboard as a starter. They are totally separate plugins. You can use both no problem.
When I display the GPS Compass in either Tactics or Dashboard PI's, it initially has the "full" compass view shown on the left, but as soon as i close the dialog the GPS Compass reverts to the display on the right... is this a bug? feature? I would like the display on the left

If two "virtual instruments" are the same between Tactics and Dashboard PI's, do they have a common implementation in the code so that changes in one propogate to the other? or do they require independent code changes...?

Thanks, CaptPat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tactics.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	155731   Click image for larger version

Name:	tactics2.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	155732  

Old 09-09-2017, 08:43   #352

Quote:
I get that I live on moorings with a power boat but I think "apparent wind" is when you increase vessel speed from 20 to 35 knots
Fair Winds, CaptPat
Old 09-09-2017, 10:57   #353

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpat View Post
When I display the GPS Compass in either Tactics or Dashboard PI's, it initially has the "full" compass view shown on the left, but as soon as i close the dialog the GPS Compass reverts to the display on the right... is this a bug? feature? I would like the display on the left

If two "virtual instruments" are the same between Tactics and Dashboard PI's, do they have a common implementation in the code so that changes in one propogate to the other? or do they require independent code changes...?

Thanks, CaptPat

I think the second one is what you get if the data coming from NMEA is "invalid" or non-sensical. But I can't remember for sure.

All plugins have their own sources. The only thing they "share" is the interface to O. It's possible that two plugins might link to the same third party library such as wxWidgets.

Tactics is sort of a "fork" of dashboard. They have both diverged since that time.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 14:21   #354

I have read thru this thread, the OpenCPN Manual, the Github tactics plugin page and anything else I can get my hands on, but I am still having trouble installing on a RaspberryPi. I have an OpenPlotter environment (0,10,0 alpha) on my Rpi3, I am running OpenCPN (4.6.1) and I have successfully connected (over Wifi) to my Kbox which provides OpenCPN with all my NMEA 0183 instrument data (I have B&G instruments including a boat speed paddle wheel). The Kbox provides heel angle along with Barometric data.

I cloned the tactics git directory on the Rpi and tried running cmake, it returned that it could not find the necessary widgets. I found the WxWidgets library and modified my /etc/apt/sources.list file and I ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install. But when I run cmake on the tactics_pi directory it still says it cannot find the wxWidgets Libraries? Can someone help me here, I have pretty much exhausted my compiling competence.

thanks,
Ron
CapnRon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 15:13   #355

Dear Ron,
Others will have a clearer understanding of the problem, but I believe this plugin was developed on windows. I do not know of any specific linux user.
Old 12-09-2017, 16:09   #356

I understand that, but I thought I read somewhere in the tactics plugin thread that it was compiled on a Raspberrypi successfully. And there are instructions on the git site for Unix style build. But I may be mistaken and that certainly would explain the problem I am having. What surprises me about the widgets is that I thought OpenCPN made heavy use of them and they should already be available.

As usual I did make a mistake and did not put the git files in the correct directory under /usr/share/opencpn/plugins. I may try that but I have a suspicion that is not the whole answer.

I guess I will just have to try it under windows. I believe it will run on a 32 bit machine as OpenCPN does.

thanks,
Ron
Old 12-09-2017, 17:42   #357

Ron, you are probably right about unix style being supported. Try it in the normal directory which may make a difference.
Old 12-09-2017, 17:53   #358

ok, I will try that, but I am having (yet) another issue. When I have the WiFi AP active I am unable to use the eth0 for access to the internet. I get an ip address and I can ping that address, but Chromium is not finding the DHCP server. I think I know its address and I have tried setting that using the command line, but it has not worked (I am not really sure of what port to use either but 67 seems to be a standard).

It is not only Chromium, I am unable to access git hub over the eth0, even though I configured it as shared internet in OpenPlotter.

Any thoughts on this (I thought I read the manual correctly) Meanwhile I will stop the AP and clone the directory again.
Ron
Old 12-09-2017, 18:15   #359

ok, I cloned into the plugins directory and I am over my head here so I followed these instructions literally.
Unix style build :

cd ..
cd build
cmake ..
make
make install

from the tactics_pi directory I created a build directory, I cd to that directory and then ran cmake .. (all as sudo of course)
C compiler GNU 4.9.2.... staging to build tactics_pi ...
Could NOT find wxWidgets (missing: wxWidgets_LIBRARIES)
It created a number of files in directories under build, but when I run OpenCPN and go to the plugins section, there is nothing there about tactics.

so without someone with experience in this version of the process, I may have to try it on windows.
ron
Old 12-09-2017, 19:23   #360

I went back to the WxWidgets Libraries and found that I needed to first get an access key (this reminds of the old text "Adventure" game). And that some of the libraries I was first starting with were in development mode, so I modified my apt/sources.list file to access a more stable version. I am having some success in installing some of these packages, but some it still cannot find (like libwxbase3.0-0-unofficial)

I went back and ran the cmake and now it finds some widgets and OpenGL, but could not find BZip2_Libraries? my cmake version is 3.6.2 I am not sure how to add BZip2.

Ron

Tags
plug