Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2019, 12:17   #586

Re: Tactics Plugin

Hi, in case you build yourself the below link is the latest stable commit with two known bugs (instrument window pane locked after a instrument removal and crash when SoG True Wind calculations and no StW or StW=0). Builds after that are unstable while I am resolving those remaining issues - the performance has its price and that's the sweat of the developer

https://github.com/canne/dashboard_t...d1000f5f3ecfac

Thanks to contributions for Mac (see previous posts, cont), the below builds on nicely on Mac, it has been reported:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2904905

see also above.
Canne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 12:48   #587

Thanks Canne - used `107fe0df945919f36bdf25355cd1000f5f3ecfac`, and got a build of the pkg by copying the data directory up a folder from the root of the project - alas still no lay lines showing! It may be that the PKG didn't install into OpenCPN cleanly. Not vital - I'm still enjoying the other features!
cianclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 14:24   #588

An issue with OpenGL? On this Mac I can see laylines: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2905551
Old 14-06-2019, 18:20   #589

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Ron Southworth uses macOS mojave
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 21:25   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Ron Southworth uses macOS mojave

Hi Folks

My experience has been as long your using a stable version the layline function works well on the compass and on the chart.

I have spent a few hours using the plugin with testing my instrument simulation program(s) and have found the plugin to be stable

the information is useable to optimise vessel performance especially under sail. i am looking forward to using the plugin when I get my new boat.

I have a macOS package version the one that Canne made some performance changes on about a month ago or less it is on my repo,

When this next round of development reaches a stable point and canne etc is saying it is ready for testing i will upload that for people to try.

Frequently when the program is restarted you have to re select the preference to display laylines on the charts.

Adjusting the settings of the plugin for your vessel instrumentation configuration is important as things will read incorrectly or not at all if not set correctly.

Hope this helps
RonSouthworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 04:12   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianclarke View Post
Alas, the laylines & polars aren't rendering for me on OSX. Only the wind barb shows. Any ideas?

Can anybody point me towards a recent PKG / how to build locally??

Did Canne's and Ron's post help? Is your laylines and polars issue resolved?
- You must set your boat's polar file in preferences.
- You must have accelerated graphics (openGL) checked.
- You must have show laylines and show polars checked in preferences

Please advise, for issues like this it is very helpful to have resolution confirmation from the OP requesting help.
Old 15-06-2019, 17:41   #592

Quote:
Did Canne's and Ron's post help? Is your laylines and polars issue resolved?
- You must set your boat's polar file in preferences.
- You must have accelerated graphics (openGL) checked.
- You must have show laylines and show polars checked in preferences

Please advise, for issues like this it is very helpful to have resolution confirmation from the OP requesting help.

Good additions to note to what has been said already Rick especially the polar file. They are not so straight forward to find on the web and the formats all vary from what is needed.

I can attach a sample - the one I use for testing if it is problematic to source.

/Ron
Old 15-06-2019, 18:02   #593

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSouthworth View Post
Good additions to note to what has been said already Rick especially the polar file. They are not so straight forward to find on the web and the formats all vary from what is needed.

I can attach a sample - the one I use for testing if it is problematic to source.
/Ron

Good idea, why not?
I'll add it to the sample files in tactics documentation too.
Old 15-06-2019, 18:05   #594

Rick and Canne

Re the simulator some progress....

I am endeavouring to get something to help with testing this plugin for you both.

I have made some progress with porting ShipDriver - fixing some message formats and such.

No setpoint dynamics or vessel speed adjustment under sail bit it is using the grib wind data as per ship driver.

I do have it sending NMEA and AIS messages out onto the local network so I am confident that we can get a useable tool from it now.

I have a Mag variation calc routine to add into the message I have fixed, that means figuring out the API

The truncated message was causing the wind values to not be “seen” missing a comma and such.

I have to check all the messages that are being generated are complete and not subsets like the one I found. I think i have sorted out the “missing” decimals. The Engineer twitches....

I hope to have it generating a static version of the GSV message by the end of today at least - if I don’t have too many distractions.

I will load up an update to the repo if I am able to debug it enough to compile and send the message types you guys need and
And have it working sending static “defaults”.

All the best
/Ron
Old 15-06-2019, 18:05   #595

Quote:
Good idea, why not?
I'll add it to the sample files in tactics documentation too.

Awesome Rick
Old 16-06-2019, 07:18   #596

I have published a new beta version Dashboard-Tactics combination here:

https://github.com/canne/dashboard_t...s/tag/v0.2.003

Thank you for testing and giving me feedback! (and Ron, I'm glad to test your simulator, of course!)
Old 16-06-2019, 08:07   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canne View Post
I have published a new beta version Dashboard-Tactics combination here:

https://github.com/canne/dashboard_t...s/tag/v0.2.003

Thank you for testing and giving me feedback! (and Ron, I'm glad to test your simulator, of course!)

Thanks Canne for the effort. A big thanks to everyone that has helped with this plugin.

I will load up this new version shortly.

Looking forward to testing it.

I too had a productive day.
Old 16-06-2019, 13:22   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSouthworth View Post
I too had a productive day.
Indeed! Now when I am getting bored without those red eyed fights with wx until 3am, I gave your plugin a shot on my Winduze development machine. Just in 15 minutes I got here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-16_Simulator_on_Winduze1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	194021Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-16_Simulator_on_Winduze2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	194022

The toolbar wheel turns to a puzzle for some toggle-SVG problem I guess, then I just managed to get the above screenshot before the dialog or pane disappeared. No way to find it back but by toggle the toolbar button OFF/ON. Same thing repeats. Hope this helps.
Old 16-06-2019, 15:39   #599

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks I appreciate the effort. I have done a bit since i last uploaded next stable point i will upload again...
Old 17-06-2019, 03:13   #600

Quote:
Indeed! Now when I am getting bored without those red eyed fights with wx until 3am, I gave your plugin a shot on my Winduze development machine. Just in 15 minutes I got here:

Attachment 194021Attachment 194022

The toolbar wheel turns to a puzzle for some toggle-SVG problem I guess, then I just managed to get the above screenshot before the dialog or pane disappeared. No way to find it back but by toggle the toolbar button OFF/ON. Same thing repeats. Hope this helps.
Hi I will try the latest commit Canne once I backup things.

It does depend on how you have your plugin configured for what type of instrumentation and what message types are being sent.

The lay lines will display if you have SOG STW TWS AWS TWA AWA along with a valid set of GPS messages if you don't set the heel and pitch to manual values the lay lines won't display on the instruments in addition to the other aspects previously mentioned.

Re the testing plugin
I have basically a proof of concept for the simulator plugin of sorts as of this evening
I have it at the point where nearly all the message types I have configured in my stand alone simulator are being generated by the message routine of this plugin plus it has the basic AIS messaging all thanks to Mike's code.

Still a lot to do I have to join the hooks into the U/I. I have the rudder angle sorted I have a "template" to help work out other analogue values at least.

I have included some screenshots of the tactics plugin on macOS Mojave my new laptop...

the functionality of the lay lines is the same with either iteration of the plugin.

Tactics_pi is a little more stable and at the moment for my needs at least

I need to have things working in a known way so I can sort out the simulator.... I went through a bit of rechecking all for a comma

I will upload to the repo this PoC point shortly . note you need to have a valid Grib file for wind data atm and you have to start the simulator after selecting the start point for the sim. you can hide the plugin and it ill continue to simulate until you stop it.

lots of things with the math to be sorted essentially I have confidence now that it will handle the messaging to the real world it works almost as well as my java stack so that is very good...

/Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SimulatorTactics2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	194059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Simulator-Tactics.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	194060