Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2020, 07:40   #1

TCP connection for serial compass data fr OCPN to another plotter running on same PC

Hello,

I am looking for advice as to how to make a TCP connection to get compass NMEA0183 data that is coming into OCPN, to another chartplotter program running on the same PC. Tried many things, but couldn't make it work with my limited knowledge.

Sadly the recipient program does not support incoming UDP connections. Only serial or TCP.

The PC is running Win10 and is connected to a modem/router on the boat. The router has a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 . I use dual screens for the two plotters.

The NMEA0183 compass data comes from the autopilot system via a serial USB connection and is fed into OCPN. However, I need to use the same data concurrently on PC Plotter, the other chartplotter program which I have as I need to use Navionics maps where I generally sail; for the level of detail and accuracy. And I need the compass data on OCPN too as I do the radar overlay on it.

It would be great if you could share your advice as to how to make the TCP connection work.

Thank you.
Odysseus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 13:57   #2

Boat: Saxe Ocean
Re: TCP connection for serial compass data fr OCPN to another plotter running on same

From the manual:
Quote:
If “0.0.0.0” is entered in the Address box, OpenCPN will act as a TCP server accepting a connection from a remote TCP client. OpenCPN will listen on all its host computer's network interfaces for TCP connections to the port specified in the “DataPort” field. There should normally be no reason to select a “DataPort” value other than the standard 10110 unless multiple servers are required
You also will have to select the "Output on this port" checkbox

Then set your other program to connect to 127.0.0.1, with the same portnumber as the Dataport from the OpenCPN settings.
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 09:00   #3

Re: TCP connection for serial compass data fr OCPN to another plotter running on same

Truly appreciated SamH, it works! Actually it was a "bench test" at work trying to relay the built in GPS of the laptop to OCPN and then to PC Plotter, which it did before draining the battery (built in GPS's suck). So there's no reason the compass shouldn't work either.

Totally unrelated, but PC Plotter is so limited w/r/t functionality. You can only relay two NMEA0183 and one NMEA2000 to the plotter. I wish I could use Navionics maps with OCPN, I wouldn't ever need PC Plotter.

Amazing Navionics (and recent parent Garmin) prefer this level of "don't buy me" functionality on PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
From the manual:

You also will have to select the "Output on this port" checkbox

Then set your other program to connect to 127.0.0.1, with the same portnumber as the Dataport from the OpenCPN settings.
Odysseus7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, serial