Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 09:45   #1

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
TCP/IP addresses to use

I need to send NMEA data from OpenCPN and receive it in iNavX running on an iPad. At present, I send from OpenCPN using UDP and can pick it up OK but I am getting errors like missed data - probably because of flow control issues rather than data corruption.
The solution should be to use TCP/IP rather than UDP. However, while I knew how to do this sending from MacENC, I am having problems getting it working with OpenCPN.

Testing at home I should be able to do this using my WiFi router. My onboard NMEA2000/WiFI gateway (Actisense) can only handle one TCP connection so to receive navigational data into OpenCPN and send data out to the iPad I will need to use a WiFi server created by my Mac - as I used to do with MacENC. The issue is what addresses to use in OpenCPN.

I know the IP address of my router - say 162.168.1.68
What do I use as the network address for my OpenCPN output connection? Should it be this same address or do I need a different endpoint? 162.168.1.70 for example?
I seem unable to get iNavx to establish a connection either way. I am using the same port number at both ends, of course.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 11:37   #2

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: TCP/IP addresses to use

If you mean what address should you plug into the ocpn tcp connection configuration, if you want it to act as a server that should be "0.0.0.0".

In the iNavX configuration you would then put in the address of the mac (assuming you're using a mac) which if you don't know it you can get from bringing up system preferences (on the mac), clicking "Network", selecting the relevant network connection (probably wifi) and your address should be under status on the right hand side.

(Apologies if the next bit is already familiar, but it might be helpful to some...) If you're using dynamic addresses, the address of the mac may change each time you go sailing so you might want to consider assigning a static IP address to the mac, either by configuring a static address on the mac outside of the range dynamically assigned by your router or (probably better/easier) by telling the router to always assign a particular address to your mac. To do that you'll need to associate the mac's (as in macintosh's) MAC (as in machine access control or hardware address) which you can do from system preferences->Network, highlighting the desired interface (probably wifi), clicking on "Advanced" and looking down the bottom of the window.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 13:41   #3

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395
Re: TCP/IP addresses to use

Thank you, thank you. 0.0.0.0 seems to work - at least at home.
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote