Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2023, 19:23   #1

Boat: Voyager 26
Tiling Window manager

Hey, anyone able to use OpenCPN with a tiling window manager? I can kind of get it to work with floats, but it's pretty glitchy and doesn't seem to like it as well as a more standard window manager. If anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I use i3, but have the same issues under DWM. Kind of annoying having to log into an XFCE session or whatever when I want to use OpenCPN. Well, to be honest I just tend to turn to my tablet for the paid version which works fine (if slow, I don't have the strongest tablet), but it would be nice to have it all on my laptop with the tablet as backup.
grakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 19:42   #2

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I
Re: Tiling Window manager

I use opencpn on void linux with bspwm on a librem laptop. i run opencpn via flatpack. i have no true desktop environment running on my computer (though i have been toying with idea of installing kde plasma recently). i also attach opencpn to my onboard n2k/seatalk-ng network via a usb based yacht devices ydnu-d2 which worked straight out the box with no config issues.

the only issue i have is the need need to bring the floating windows to top layer (in my case this done with the super + o keybinding which cycles from floating to tiled mode).
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 22:27   #3

Boat: Voyager 26
Re: Tiling Window manager

Oh nice! I'll have to look at the network device. That sounds great. I'll check out the flatpack. For whatever reason I never think of using flatpack versions of anything. Thanks.
grakker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind