Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2023, 10:14   #1

Boat: One-Off
Trackpoint Date format

Hi, I'm using the German Version of OpenCPN on a Tablet (Android) also with German locale settings. But trackpoints in OpenCPN are shown AS MM/DD/YYYY, the usual unreadable US format.
Nowhere in settings I can find any config to Set the correct format DD.MM.YYYY
In Android System config, it's only German to Set with respective Date format.

Does anyone know how to adjust These Date formats effectively?
barriqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 13:15   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Trackpoint Date format

Funny, a lot folks in the US feel the European date format is “unreadable” and not the “correct format” MMDDYYYY.

But the US folks using CF get used to it after a while. No, CF does not allow dates to be displayed in anything but European format.

You’ll get used to it. Or you could join the development team and implement alternative date formats.

Personally I think all of you are wrong, it should be YYYY-MM-DD which makes sorting by date much easier. If you do decide to join the dev team please implement YMD as an option.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 13:44   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Funny, a lot folks in the US feel the European date format is “unreadable” and not the “correct format” MMDDYYYY.

But the US folks using CF get used to it after a while. No, CF does not allow dates to be displayed in anything but European format.

You’ll get used to it. Or you could join the development team and implement alternative date formats.

Personally I think all of you are wrong, it should be YYYY-MM-DD which makes sorting by date much easier. If you do decide to join the dev team please implement YMD as an option.
It is not just "European", it's (almost) the whole world!

Here in Canada it is either DDMMYYYY or YYYYMMDD.

When you do see MMDDYYYY up here (and you do), it is because soneone is using app/software etc from the USA (and either didn't change settings or, worse, app/software/hardware doesn't allow one to do this).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 15:19   #4

Boat: Other people's boats

requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 23:15   #5

Boat: One-Off

To all replies: Yes I would agree that the only valid date format is the mentioned one with the form YYYY-MM-DD. It's obvious: top-down by levels, hence sortable.
But I did not want to debate whether habits in writing date formats are reasonable, but I wanted to find out if there is possibility to display the dates of trackpoints in Open CPN run on Android 13 in a different format. I have been running OpenCPN on a different older Android Tablet and also on regular Windows PC and on both devices, the trackpoint date format was properly shown in the desired German format.
In order to be more precise with my question: Does open CPN get the date formats from settings that can be configured within open CPN or would IT get this information from the system configuration regarding language and local and if the latter is the case, does anyone know where such details of the date format can be adjusted in Android 13?
barriqui is offline   Reply With Quote