Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 18:02   #1

Trojan in AIS Radar View

Hi everyone just give you a quick warning to make sure your antivirus was up and running, I attempted to access the set up files for the AIS radar view plugin and was greeted by my antivirus informing me that it contained a Trojan virus.
zbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 20:52   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Trojan in AIS Radar View

zbay...
The installer package for AISRadar as well as all the other OpenCPN plugins is built on a dedicated machine without Internet connection and is considered clean by all the significant and up to date antivirus software available, as you can see at https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e...4ca2/analysis/
Can you tell us which antivirus package are you using?

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 20:57   #3

Yes, I am currently using Norton 360. I will run an update and try again, I love the program thanks for putting the work in on it.
zbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 21:08   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Ah, Norton, my favorite - I'm wondering if there actually is a file on this planet they don't flag as malicious

Good luck

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:33   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Agreed.

I would like to confirm that Norton 360 and the more recent Norton Security with Backup are now flagging exe that have been run infrequently and removing them from your computer with no way to retrieve them that I have found. In order to install plugins I now have to pause Norton Antivirus, as there is no way to tell it to ignore plugins. Tried to move to another AV but it is just easier to continue with Norton until I get so mad at it I tear it out.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:04   #6

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Agreed.

I would like to confirm that Norton 360 and the more recent Norton Security with Backup are now flagging exe that have been run infrequently and removing them from your computer with no way to retrieve them that I have found. In order to install plugins I now have to pause Norton Antivirus, as there is no way to tell it to ignore plugins. Tried to move to another AV but it is just easier to continue with Norton until I get so mad at it I tear it out.
Norton is notorious for false positive detections. I use either Panda Cloud or Bitdefender (Panda Cloud works better with my development environment but the free version has a nag screen).
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I would not use a computer for navigation that also has internet access....and I don't.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, radar