Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 23:47   #121

Re: Twocan - a new Plugin

Just a quick feedback report after about two months extended Twocan v.1.4.0 usage. In short: Everything is working just fine.

Saw that release 1.5 had been released at 'https://github.com/twocanplugin/twocanplugin' but I have not had a chance to compile and test it. I will at least compile and install but the boat is due to drydock in about two weeks so seatrials may have to wait. It is a short season for woodenboat owners in this region.

The release by Rick at 'https://github.com/rgleason/twocan-test' appears to be version 1.4.0 as it had its latest commit on june 23. Also the release by Petri at 'https://github.com/canne/TwoCanPlugIn', a fork from rgleason, is still at 1.4.

It might also interest some that I am using a 'USBtin' CAN to USB interface (see https://www.fischl.de/usbtin/) on Linux 16.04, not mentioned by Steven as supported. It works fine with NMEA 2000 and is well documented on the web.

Keep up the good work, all of you!
LennartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 13:52   #122

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartG View Post
Just a quick feedback report after about two months extended Twocan v.1.4.0 usage. In short: Everything is working just fine.

Saw that release 1.5 had been released at 'https://github.com/twocanplugin/twocanplugin' but I have not had a chance to compile and test it. I will at least compile and install but the boat is due to drydock in about two weeks so seatrials may have to wait. It is a short season for woodenboat owners in this region.

The release by Rick at 'https://github.com/rgleason/twocan-test' appears to be version 1.4.0 as it had its latest commit on june 23. Also the release by Petri at 'https://github.com/canne/TwoCanPlugIn', a fork from rgleason, is still at 1.4.

It might also interest some that I am using a 'USBtin' CAN to USB interface (see https://www.fischl.de/usbtin/) on Linux 16.04, not mentioned by Steven as supported. It works fine with NMEA 2000 and is well documented on the web.

Keep up the good work, all of you!

Why make things so complicated. Simply use SignalK. Can be used with Canable board or with the Actisense NGT1.

At first you have to initiate the canbus board:

sudo ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000 (can be done at startup)

Some settings in SignalK, so that NMEA2000 is translated via canboat to SignalK. And SignalK to NMEA183.

You need 2 adresses in Kplex. Input and Outgoing.

In OpenCPN the setting to Kplex:

TCP 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) port 10110

And you have NMEA2000 in NMEA0183 format in OpenCPN.

And you have all the extra's of SignalK instruments and options.

This is what you get:

The small Canable board is on the left lower site of the chart desk.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6296.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	198573  
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 22:54   #123

Verkerbr,

totally disagree with you.

SignalK is far more complicated and, using a NGT1, 8 times the price of the unit I've chosen. The setup I now have is doing what I need and all it required was a small and cheap unit plus a plugin.
All the software required required for USBtin is standard in Linux so you need to have better arguments than these above, Sorry..
Old 25-08-2019, 00:47   #124

Quote:
Verkerbr,

totally disagree with you.

SignalK is far more complicated and, using a NGT1, 8 times the price of the unit I've chosen. The setup I now have is doing what I need and all it required was a small and cheap unit plus a plugin.
All the software required required for USBtin is standard in Linux so you need to have better arguments than these above, Sorry..

Why not integrade SignalK as an addition to OpenCPN, with settings already build in.

Cost ? The Canable board cost US $ 29,- and for the Optical version $ 40,-..

It is working here perfect as you can see in my screenprint. And I have also the SignalK instruments available html format.

It looks like re-inventing the wheel.

Bram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafdruk van 2018-04-07 13-29-02.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	198589  
Old 25-08-2019, 06:06   #125

Verkerkbr,
please reconize a lost case when there is one!

I already have a working setup using USBtin and the Twocan plugin, as I clearly stated in my first message.

I have no need to install SignalK and buy additional hardware to get a number of bells and whistles I don't use. What I have works fine as is.
Please drop your case, it is already lost!
Old 25-08-2019, 08:32   #126

Quote:
Verkerkbr,
please reconize a lost case when there is one!

I already have a working setup using USBtin and the Twocan plugin, as I clearly stated in my first message.

I have no need to install SignalK and buy additional hardware to get a number of bells and whistles I don't use. What I have works fine as is.
Please drop your case, it is already lost!

I' dont have a case. I'am only using present software solution for NMEA2000 to NMEA183, which works out of the box. What is the difference between the use of a Canable, or Actisense canbus adapter and your USBtin ?

Is Twocan not based on the same working princples then SignalK and Canboat elements ?

I hope some day I can try a simply and working Toecan, plugin working on different canbus adapters. What processor is used int he USBTin set ?

Bram
Old 25-08-2019, 09:02   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
I' dont have a case. I'am only using present software solution for NMEA2000 to NMEA183, which works out of the box. What is the difference between the use of a Canable, or Actisense canbus adapter and your USBtin ?

Is Twocan not based on the same working princples then SignalK and Canboat elements ?

I hope some day I can try a simply and working Toecan, plugin working on different canbus adapters. What processor is used int he USBTin set ?

Bram

Forgot to mention that nmea183 input to the NMEA2000 bus is also possible
Old 26-08-2019, 01:51   #128

I’ll refer to my original reply to you from post #7 in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
TwoCan is designed to be a simple plugin that enables NMEA2000 data to be directly integrated with OpenCPN.
TwoCan has a relatively simple installation procedure and supports both Windows & Linux (including Raspberry Pi).
Unlike Signal K, TwoCan has no other software dependencies such as Java, NodeJS, mdns/Bonjour or canboat.
While Signal K supports any Socket CAN interface under Linux, on Windows, Signal K only supports the Actisence NGT-1 USB gateway.
TwoCan similarly supports any Socket CAN interface under Linux and for Windows uses a plugin driver model that today supports three different CAN bus adapters including the inexpensive Canable adapter.
If you require Signal K support, then perhaps Signal K is the solution for you.
If you just want a simple solution for integrating NMEA2000 data into OpenCPN, then perhaps TwoCan is a better alternative.
The only change to my original reply is support for additional adapters under Windows.

I will agree with observation that Signal K supports other NMEA 2000 messages such as engine and other related machinery sensors and that these can be displayed in other apps.

However that is simply a reflection on the lack of support in OpenCPN (and in particular the dashboard plugin) for additional gauges. Once the OpenCPN architects decide on a data model beyond NMEA 183 and the dashboard can support additional gauges, then support for these can be added to the TwoCan plugin very quickly.

Or I could throw a cat amongst the pigeons and add Signal K server functionaility to the TwoCan plugin.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 02:10   #129

Quote:
I’ll refer to my original reply to you from post #7 in this thread.

The only change to my original reply is support for additional adapters under Windows.

I will agree with observation that Signal K supports other NMEA 2000 messages such as engine and other related machinery sensors and that these can be displayed in other apps.

However that is simply a reflection on the lack of support in OpenCPN (and in particular the dashboard plugin) for additional gauges. Once the OpenCPN architects decide on a data model beyond NMEA 183 and the dashboard can support additional gauges, then support for these can be added to the TwoCan plugin very quickly.

Or I could throw a cat amongst the pigeons and add Signal K server functionaility to the TwoCan plugin.
I'am certainly like to try your Twocan plugin.

However you are wrong that SignalK only supports the Actisence NGT-1. There is also support for other canbus adapters.

Here running on an a cheap Canable (optical protected) board. As you can see on the image.

The idea behind the SignalK is, in my view, very good. It is working on HTML and can be show in any other browser and of course via the internet.

Not only translating from NMEA2K to NMEA183. But also the other way around from NMEA183 input to NMEA2K.

I think it is a very good idea to add SignalK support to your developments.

Regards,

Bram
Old 26-08-2019, 02:12   #130
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
However that is simply a reflection on the lack of support in OpenCPN (and in particular the dashboard plugin) for additional gauges. Once the OpenCPN architects decide on a data model beyond NMEA 183 and the dashboard can support additional gauges,.....
Isn't there plans afoot to make signalk data available as a data source for the dashboard? Will be great if it does

Word on the street is that the next openplotter will be able to be installed on any linux system, with windows including a full linux kernel soon that might be an easier way for the masses to get the wonderful signalk running and the other openplotter stuff.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:59   #131

Boat: Raider 18 Cuddy

Quote:
Announcing support for an additional adapter.

I found another manufacturer of CAN bus adapters called Rusoku, who manufacture and sell the "Toucan Marine" adapter!

http://www.rusoku.com/products/toucan-marine
I received my Rusoku TouCAN Marine adapter today

now find out how to get this to work.....
Ben S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:59   #132

Let's get you started.
What platform ?
Windows.
Goto the Twocan github site http://github.com/twocanplugindrivers. Clone the repository and compile on your machine. Copy the resulting toucan.dll to your opencpn plugin directory (usually opencpn/plugins/twocan/data/drivers) and canal32.dll to your windows/sytem32 directory (or any other directory in your path environment variable)

Linux (including Raspeberry Pi).
From the Rusoku web site follow their link to their github site. Download the installable kernel module source file and compile and install for your version of Linux.
Then the usual commands to configure the socketcan interface.
Have a look at the opencpn developer wiki https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpn:developer_manuallugins:beta_ plugins:twocan_pi
Old 03-10-2019, 09:26   #133

I get errors
Something not installed i guess ?

Code:
C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build>cmake --build . --config release
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 16.2.37902+b5aaefc9f for .NET Framework
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

twocanutil.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Common\Release\twocanutil.lib
  axiomtek.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Axiomtek\Release\axiomtek.dll
  candumplog.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\CanDumpLog\Release\candumplog.dll
  cantact.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Cantact\Release\cantact.dll
  filedevice.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\FileDevice\Release\filedevice.dll
  keeslog.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\KeesLog\Release\keeslog.dll
     Creating library C:/Users/Rutske/Documents/github/twocanplugindrivers/build/Kvaser/Release/kvaser.lib and object C
  :/Users/Rutske/Documents/github/twocanplugindrivers/build/Kvaser/Release/kvaser.exp
Kvaser.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol canInitializeLibrary referenced in function OpenAdapter [C:\User
s\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Kvaser\kvaser.vcxproj]

cuments\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Kvaser\kvaser.vcxproj]
Kvaser.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol canBusOn referenced in function OpenAdapter [C:\Users\Rutske\Doc
uments\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Kvaser\kvaser.vcxproj]
Old 04-10-2019, 01:17   #134

Hi Ben,

That error looks specific building the Kvaser driver.

I’ll have a look but I think it could possibly be due to a missing Kvaser library file, either because it’s missing from your TwoCan driver build or because Kvaser hasn’t been installed on your machine. (I’ll See if I can reproduce your error by attempting to build the TwoCan Plugin drivers on a PC that does not have the Kvaser stuff installed).

In anycase I think you can safely ignore this error, as I’m assuming that you’re using the Toucan Marine adapter that you had originally asked about.

As long as the Toucan Marine driver has built successfully (and if desired the four log file readers), you should be good to go. If you don’t use the Kvaser Leaflight, Canable Cantact or Axiomtek CAN Bus adapters, don’t worry about those drivers.

Unfortunately my knowledge of the NSIS Windows installer is sorely lacking and I am yet to construct an installer for the TwoCan Plugin drivers.

To install the TwoCan plugin drivers, just copy the resulting DLL’s into your opencpn/plugins/twocan_pi/data/drivers directory (which on a 64bit version of Windows is usually under c:\program files(x86)

Any further problems, just ask.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:42   #135

Also the same error for the toucan dll
Something is missing in my environment?

Code:
C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build>cmake --build . --config release
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 16.2.37902+b5aaefc9f for .NET Framework
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

twocanutil.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Common\Release\twocanutil.lib
     Creating library C:/Users/Rutske/Documents/github/twocanplugindrivers/build/Toucan/Release/toucan.lib and object C
  :/Users/Rutske/Documents/github/twocanplugindrivers/build/Toucan/Release/toucan.exp
Toucan.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol CanalOpen referenced in function OpenAdapter [C:\Users\Rutske\Do
cuments\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Toucan\toucan.vcxproj]
Toucan.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol CanalClose referenced in function CloseAdapter [C:\Users\Rutske\
Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Toucan\toucan.vcxproj]
Toucan.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol CanalSend referenced in function WriteAdapter [C:\Users\Rutske\D
ocuments\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Toucan\toucan.vcxproj]
Toucan.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol CanalBlockingReceive referenced in function ReadThread [C:\Users
\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Toucan\toucan.vcxproj]
Toucan.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol CanalGetVendor referenced in function OpenAdapter [C:\Users\Ruts
ke\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Toucan\toucan.vcxproj]
Toucan.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol CanalInterfaceStart referenced in function OpenAdapter [C:\Users
Toucan.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol CanalInterfaceStop referenced in function CloseAdapter [C:\Users
C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\toucan\lib\canal32.lib : warning LNK4272: library machine type 'x8
6' conflicts with target machine type 'x64' [C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Toucan\toucan.v
cxproj]
C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Toucan\Release\toucan.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 7 unresolve
d externals [C:\Users\Rutske\Documents\github\twocanplugindrivers\build\Toucan\toucan.vcxproj]

Tags
plug