Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2010, 10:28   #1

Boat: Dufour 35
Ubuntu 10.10 and OpenCPN

I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 on an eeepc today, and there was an "issue", not for running OpenCPN but for compiling.

Error message
Quote:
.../usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkpixbuf.h:37: fatal error: gdk-/pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf.h: No such file or directory......
This is not an unique OpenCPN issue, there are heaps of references on the net to this error message, so I assume that it will be ironed out soonish.
The gdk/gdkpixbuf.h is in the libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev package, but seems to be installed in the wrong place.

Over on askubuntu.com the signature "Oskari" gave the following advice:
Quote:
Copy folder gdk-pixbuf from usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 to usr/include/gtk-2.0. That did the trick for me.
This works! After compilation OpenCPN started with a message of a possible libgps mismatch, but in the end this was a non issue. Gps through gpsd worked as expected.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 01:20   #2

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)
cmake & gdk-pixbuf split

Hi Thomas,

This is the gdk-pixbuf split cmake bug. Please look at this bug I opened a few weeks ago for Fedora rawhide:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=639058

Update was pushed since to patch this error.

You shall ask Ubuntu to update CMake or apply the patch as well

The current workaround is to append /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 to GTK2_GDK_INCLUDE_DIR in CMakeCache.txt

Regards,
Jean-Eudes
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 08:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

cagney...

Could I see a copy of the exact message shown for possible libgpsd mismatch on Ubuntu 10.10?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 09:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
cagney...

Could I see a copy of the exact message shown for possible libgpsd mismatch on Ubuntu 10.10?

Thanks
Dave
Dave

Sorry, I've tried, but can't get the message up again. I'll keep my eyes open....

Thomas
Old 25-10-2010, 09:19   #5

Dave
Here is some thing that popped up on Ubuntu 10.10 after upgrading to 1025. It happened when changing the NMEA data data source to Network LIBGPS.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	269
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	20496  
Old 25-10-2010, 09:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thomas...

libgps is a problem child. Any libgps developers lurking here? The published API is dead simple, but the results are sometimes random.

Head scratching
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 17:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Thomas...

libgps is a problem child. Any libgps developers lurking here? The published API is dead simple, but the results are sometimes random.

Head scratching
Dave
This is precisely why I made Gippy. Gpsd has just not been reliable for me.
Old 20-02-2011, 04:57   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52
Success - Instructions for a Linux Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethDart View Post
Hi Thomas,

This is the gdk-pixbuf split cmake bug. Please look at this bug I opened a few weeks

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=639058

Update was pushed since to patch this error.

You shall ask Ubuntu to update CMake or apply the patch as well

The current workaround is to append /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 to GTK2_GDK_INCLUDE_DIR in CMakeCache.txt

Regards,

Jean-Eudes

I'm new to Linux, but have been using OpenCPN on Windows for a while. I installed a dual boot on my Dell Vostro laptop with Ubuntu 10.10.

I tried and failed to install OpenCPN on Linux 10.10 using the link on
http://http://opencpn.org/download
The Ubuntu Software Centre did not seem to complete the installation, so I removed the remnants of OpenCPN using System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager

So I tried to install OpenCPN by compiling it by following the instructions on the following page:
http://opencpn.org/compiling_source_linux
Then I hit the 'gdk-pixbuf split cmake bug' referred to by Jean-Eudes. Unfortunately his instructions for the workaround didn't make much sense to me, but I took a guess and got it to compile successfully.

This is what I did (I add my own instructions in red to the standard instructions below):

Open a Terminal (Applications/Accessories/Terminal)

Copy and paste the following lines (line by line followed by [Enter]) into the Terminal window:
sudo apt-get install git-core cmake gpsd gpsd-clients libgps-dev build-essential wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev wx2.8-headers
git clone git://opencpn.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opencpn/opencpn
cd opencpn

git pullcd opencpn
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../

Then I searched for the CMakeCache.txt file referred to by Jean-Eudes by using the Search for Files facility in Places, but I first had to 'Select More Options' and select the 'Show hidden and backup files' options from the 'Available options' list and Add it to the search criteria.

I then Opened the CMakeCache.txt file (in gedit) by double clicking on it in the search results. I then used Ctrl F to open the Find window and searched for:

GTK2_GDK_INCLUDE_DIR
finding the following lines:
//Path to a file.
GTK2_GDK_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=...
I wasn't sure what Jean-Eudes meant by:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethDart View Post
but I added the line:
GTK2_GDK_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0
and saved the CMakeCache.txt file I then input the following commands in the Terminal window:
sudo make

sudo make install

opencpn
(obviously) allowing all the compilation stuff to complete before issuing the next command. The compilation all ran through to completion and OpenCPN fired up with the final 'opencpn' command.

I then closed down OpenCPN and closed the Terminal window. I then created a shortcut on my desktop by right clicking on the desktop and choosing 'Create Launcher' and entering 'OpenCPN' as the name and 'opencpn' as the command.

I also had to copy across my charts from my Windows directory to a Linux folder that OpenCPN could see.

OpenCPN seems to be a lot faster in Linux than in Windows (not that the speed was ever an issue).

Now all I have to do is sort out my dual boot problems (I keep losing my Windows boot option and get multiple copies of Linux available on the Grub menu).

Chris
Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid

Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 06:24   #9

Chris

Congratulations to installing OpenCPN on Ubuntu.
Theoretically it should have worked the first way you tried. The OpenCPN deb package should install all dependencies, but this seems to fail sometimes. We need to pinpoint exactly what is going on here.

I'm pretty sure that if you had tried the first way, after the installation of all the dependencies for compiling, it would have worked. I have adjusted the wiki instructions a bit to cover this case. The advantage with using the command line for installation is hat you get a feedback if something goes wrong. You can get the same feedback in Synaptic if you activate it.

You took the long hard way with the pixbuf problem. The easy way is described in the linux compilation instructions:
Quote:
Important Cmake Note: Due to a bug in Cmake, the "pixbuf-bug", it is recommended to upgrade to Cmake version >= 2.8.3.
Fedora 14 is updated, while on Ubuntu 10.10, it is necessary to enable the backport repository.Tick Synaptic->Settings->Repositories->Updates>Unsupported updates(maverick-backports).
This just goes to show that forums like this don't always shine when it comes to solving problems. There is nothing in this thread that points to other, later threads where this very problem has been discussed, and better solutions are recommended.Nothing says if a thread is dated or not. We are trying to keep the documentation wiki up to date though.

Any suggestions on how to improve the wiki instructions, to make them clearer, for newbies?

It is not strictly necessary to copy your chart folder from Windows to Linux. Linux is able to read Windows files, but not the other way around (without external programs in some cases). So you can simply "mount" your Windows drives or partition to your linux file system, and use your existing chart folder. Search for linux documentation regarding "mount", "fstab" and "dual booting". This is why cd distros, like Knoppix, are so good when repairing Windows, even if you don't use Linux otherwise.

Thomas
Old 31-08-2011, 15:19   #10

Boat: Pursuit 2200 22'
Re: Ubuntu 10.10 and OpenCPN

Chris,

I am compiling under Ubuntu Maverick (10.10) on a ARM system (a beagleboard) and you instructions for solving the "pixbuf" problem helped me out.

In order to make it a bit more clear on how you might add the line necessary in the CMakeCache.txt file.

Search for GTK2_GDK_INCLUDE_DIR

and add by appending the new path with a semi-colon between them - so you end up with

GTK2_GDK_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include/gtk-2.0;/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0

Thanks for the work around!!

Dan
ddclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:55   #11

Thomas,

any chance to try the DebianGIS build control/rules method to make the .debs? Last time I tried a week or two back all built well with opencpn 2.5.0 and Debian/unstable.

Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:40   #12

Boat: On the Hard

[QUOTE=cagney;542433]I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 on an eeepc today, and there was an "issue", not for running OpenCPN but for compiling./QUOTE]

You guys are talking 10.10 or the new 11.10 alpha release... Works fine at this end but have not tested the compile. 11.10 is still pretty broken with lots of work to do as this is only an alpha 1 release.

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote