Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2022, 18:06   #1

Ubuntu / Linux Plugins Missing

I am new to opencpn but not new to Linux. Ubuntu is my daily drive OS.

I have followed the instructions to add the opencpn repository to apt sources.

When I search
Code:
apt search opencpn-plug
no packages are returned. When I search
Code:
apt search opencpn
only two packages are returned (opencpn and opencpn-data).

I tried chaning the distribution in the sources file to bionic and this proved somewhat fruitful. I had more pakages returned but not as many as I expected.

I am trying to install the Rotation Control package.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

So far really loving opencpn.
j.watkins66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 19:04   #2

Re: Ubuntu / Linux Plugins Missing

Just upgraded to Mint 21. All good. Added OpenCPN via Synaptic and thought nothing of it. Then noticed some missing functionality.

Took a look at Mint's Software Manager and found OpenCPN there as well. Different version.

Synaptic: 5.6.0 .......... Software Manager: 5.6.2

Seems we're both seeing repo's running a bit behind. Mint's Software Manager provides the Flatpak.

You might try going direct to Flathub.org and getting OpenCPN there. Note that installation instructions via apt are included.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Haven't sorted mine out yet. Tomorrow maybe.
Rerushg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 22:56   #3

Boat: Belliure 50 SY

Ive noted a similar thing, not so much the repo missing but certain packages are no longer stored there. RTLSDR plugin seems to be missing in action in OCPN 5.6.X for example, other packages have had name changes.

I'm experimenting with Ubuntu 18.04 and OpenCPN on a Lenovo i7 core mini PC, as well as on an Rpi4B+ with openplotter's OS. On both Ive had to go googling, find the GIT, follow incomplete or unupdated docs, get cranky, more googling, and compile RTLSDR myself...
If you end up having to complile yourself, ensure g++ and dpkg are installed, otherwise your compile will fail, at least on Ubuntu 18.04 and Openplotter OS. That little nugget of info is missing in every piece of documentation Ive read.
Belliure 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 01:07   #4

Boat: Najad 34

If you have OpenCPN running and want plugins?
Try Options->Plugins. Click "Update plugin catalog: master"
Scroll the list and install as desired.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 01:28   #5

Boat: Halmatic 30

I think it is better to take the OpenCPn flatpak version. Works on almost every Linux system and comes after the update of the plugins with all the plugins available.

This is the future for all the Linux systems. One size fits all. Most modern Linux system have allready the flatpak enviroment build in. Otherwise it is easy to install.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 01:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
I think it is better to take the OpenCPn flatpak version. Works on almost every Linux system and comes after the update of the plugins with all the plugins available.

This is the future for all the Linux systems. One size fits all. Most modern Linux system have allready the flatpak enviroment build in. Otherwise it is easy to install.

Bram

Pretty much everything mentioned on this page is why I wont be trying Flatpak anytime soon.... Maybe ill try it out on the Rpi just to see if a new level of irritation has been included in the release....

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...lation:flatpak
Old 23-11-2022, 02:30   #7

Flatpak is easy to install. Runs here on my RPI 4 with Debian Bullseye, Unbuntu Kinetic and the new Fedora Rawide. Which has allready flatpak build in.

First install the flatpak enviroment. Sudo apt install flatpak.

Then go to the flathub site. Search for OpenCPN then click on install (it is not really an install).

Then go to the Downloads folder on your system. There is the installation rule for Opencpn flatpak.

sudo flatpak install (name of the downloaded install rule)

On this way you can install all the other flatpak applications.

If you have allready OpenCPN on your system you get another Opencpn version. Because flatpak is an separate enviroment. Refresh master plugins and you have all the plugins available.

After restart you see the second OpenCPN version icon.

Bram
Old 23-11-2022, 04:21   #8

Here a printscreen of OpenCPN flatpak version on the Fedora Rawhide RPI version. Also shown is the printsceen in the Images folder.

All the plugins are available here. Working with the O-charts plug for ENC charts.

Fedora is still in the development fase. But works very well on the RPI4 with 2 GB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-11-17 05-22-06.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	267830  
Old 23-11-2022, 05:07   #9

Ditto verkerkbr above.

Dumped 5.4.0 (Synaptic) and installed 5.4.2 (Flatpak via Mint's Software Manager). Uber smooth.

All dependencies included. Base Flatpak et. al.

Nice work by Clem and the Mint gang (as usual).

Haven't worked with plugins yet but catalog update yields comprehensive list.

Good luck.
Rerushg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 09:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerushg View Post
Ditto verkerkbr above.

Dumped 5.4.0 (Synaptic) and installed 5.4.2 (Flatpak via Mint's Software Manager). Uber smooth.

All dependencies included. Base Flatpak et. al.

Nice work by Clem and the Mint gang (as usual).

Haven't worked with plugins yet but catalog update yields comprehensive list.

Good luck.

ok, you all have got me curious. Downloading Mint as I type to install on Rpi, then ill do the Flatpack OCPN, and see how it goes... I have have oh so many SD cards lying about now with various LinuxOS and OCPN installs that Im starting to loose count.

Any tips for new players??
Old 24-11-2022, 09:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belliure 50 View Post
ok, you all have got me curious. Downloading Mint as I type to install on Rpi, then ill do the Flatpack OCPN, and see how it goes... I have have oh so many SD cards lying about now with various LinuxOS and OCPN installs that Im starting to loose count.

Any tips for new players??
There are two major RPI version for the RPI4 (64 bits) Debian BullsEye and Ubuntu Jammy Jelyfish.

If you have the latest Eeprom update on your system you can install RaspiOS = Debian Bullseye direct from the internet. Start the RPI with an SD without data card and hold the shift key during startuo. Then you can choose which version you like tot install and on what data item. Can be an SD card, USBstick or and USB 3.SSD.

I'am using now an USB stick 3.1 Samsung Fit Plus 64 GB. With the new Eeprom flash the system start from the USB (take the blue 3.1. USB). Is almost just as fast as an SSD HD via usb 3.1

For the Flatpak OpenCPN version see my other instruction.

Bram
Old 24-11-2022, 10:10   #12

OK, so discovered Mint wont play out of the box with Raspi. currently installing on my Lenovo i7 Core miniPC, which to be honest will probably be the guts of my system. I love the Rpi, but the Lenovo has a huge amount of grunt and resources and will easily fit inside my Nav station. Ive also got a Direct DC power sup for it since my boat is a 24V system and the lenovo only needs 20VDC.

As I type the Mint installer just finished, and popped up a notice that the installer crashed when I told it to reboot..... oh joy.......
Old 24-11-2022, 10:30   #13

Dear B,

Mint Vanessa comes as a live DVD. If you start from this DVD. You get a working version on your system and see if all items work.

Then you can give the command install Mint. You have a 64 bits system.

And a working system is installed.

On the RPI it is a f course also possible to download the image and put it on a sd with the LInux usb installer.

Linux runs here like a Swiss watch !

Bram

I have here a new 24 volt to 5 volt isolated power supply for you. TYPE SD-15B-5 from Main Well. I needed the SD15A which is 12 volt to 5 volt.
Old 25-11-2022, 06:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Dear B,

Mint Vanessa comes as a live DVD. If you start from this DVD. You get a working version on your system and see if all items work.

Then you can give the command install Mint. You have a 64 bits system.

And a working system is installed.

On the RPI it is a f course also possible to download the image and put it on a sd with the LInux usb installer.

Linux runs here like a Swiss watch !

Bram

I have here a new 24 volt to 5 volt isolated power supply for you. TYPE SD-15B-5 from Main Well. I needed the SD15A which is 12 volt to 5 volt.

Mint installed fine on the Lenovo i7 core, I have to say I really like the look and feel of Mint. Very slick and nicely put together.

Flatpak of OCPN installed just fine as well.... but like all the other 5.X.X distros Ive tried doesnt have all the plug ins I need, Sean P's RTLSDR or VHFSDR in particular. Seems also to be a new bunch of Permission issues for various things. Also for some bizarre reason any time I close OCPN, on re-opening I need to go back into the config and re make the serial connection for the GPS on /dev/ttyUSB0 ..

I have no doubt there are peeps out there with perfectly performing Linux based OCPN setups, but I am seriously beginning to doubt ill ever join those ranks. The issues I encounter are mostly LinuxOS probs and not so much OCPN. Nothing ever works right, or more often not at all, despite the Distro version of Linux or OCPN or hardware combo, and yes Ive RTFM more times than most people, and to be fair Stackoverflow has more answers than the OCPN docs do.....

thanks Bram for the Pwr sup offer, but I have a bunch 24-5VDC modules already

back to the wall......
Old 25-11-2022, 07:10   #15

The problem is that new users like to use everything at once. That is not how it works. If you like to use the DSR-RTL reception you have to calibrate the software for your use and area.

If you have a particulair question I can possibly help you. But one step and then the next step.

What do you like to use on the boat?

Bram

Tags
linux, plug, plugin