Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2022, 05:07   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Ubuntu ppa plugins

Sorry folks, I am not amused!

Linux No download needed, install package opencpn-plugin-.....

There are two PPA repositories, one for stable versions only and one that includes beta versions. If you want the beta versions replace the “ppapencpn/opencpn” string in the following instructions with “ppa:bdbcat/opencpn”.

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common sudo add-apt-repository ppapencpn/opencpn sudo apt-get update

which ubuntu version? unable to check the content of ppa's
I am on jammy and it does not work as expected.

Will focal, bionic, xenial contain all plugins?

Conclusion: it is a mess!
Better u skip these ppa's and offer buildable sources only...

moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:54   #2

Re: Ubuntu ppa plugins

Did you pay for support?
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:07   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

You give no information about your configuration, version of Ubuntu, what version of Opencpn, etc. How can anyone provide support without that?

Note: Opencpn Flatpak is being used now for many linux OS.

Also please see this thread https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3602930
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

moseriw...
1. OpenCPN packages are available for Ubuntu LTS release only. This is a long-standing OpenCPN policy.
2. "offer buildable sources". OpenCPN buildable sources are always available on github, as GPL2 stipulates.

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 23:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

It is often more difficult to pay for support than else...

I did not give any information about the configuration at it is a configuration free question as the ppa itself should serve any configuration.

Thanks for the flatpack and thank u Dave for the LTS hint.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:23   #6

I don't see a mess, au contraire, IMO this project has rather top notch documentation and support!

See here: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadopencpn.html. A clear comprehensive page to tell us how to install things on Ubuntu (incl. Flatpak and PPA). The PPA link, https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn, shows the supported Ubuntu versions: Xenial, Bionic, Focal. Jammy, the upcoming LTS version you mentioned, is not even released, how can one expect the binaries to be here already? Give it some time

Btw, unless you are a (very) competent Linux user it probably makes sense to not immediately update the OS. In 6 months things will have settled and "your Jammy" will certainly be served just fine. [On one computer I still have 18.04 (Bionic) and PPAs are a godsend which allow to have an up-to-date app on a rather old system. Currently I run OpenCPN on windows but should I switch to Linux, I will be very glad to have this PPA option (Flatpak of course is also a nice no-nonsense option; and both ways are much more sane for a normal user than compiling from source, imo)].

I didn't understand your reply regarding pay for support, in any case there is a support page: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/supportopencpn.html (this project is certainly a more than worthy recipient for all the work that has been and is being done).
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 22:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

blu3534 sorry, I really missed that page: https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn and yes I am always on the latest releases of debian or ubuntu. Almost all devices on arm64.

And believe me it is a mess. On debian I am waiting since 2012 for the pulseaudio support of xRRP and maybe Ubuntu with the pulseaudio-module-installer will fix it.

Btw.: Ubuntu and debian should be compatible when you use the right apt sources. OpenCPN ppa - no way!

Really I do not have a problem to build it from source, which I did with OpenCPN since 2012 and since 2017 on arm64. And it was a perfect way - Thanks to he team. (Nowadays it is in the repository of debian - great!) But the modules?

And for me OpenCPN ist the very best navigation software I have ever had. Despite the ongoing refusal of Navionics to provide a proper dongle for it. Chartworld is ver good but I am really not able to afford the professional charts. i.E. Croatia: a one year subscription for the 40+ charts - which have to be selected one by one is around € 400.

OK sorry most of it is off topic.
Old 09-04-2022, 00:01   #8
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

[QUOTE=moseriw;3604664
And for me OpenCPN ist the very best navigation software I have ever had. Despite the ongoing refusal of Navionics to provide a proper dongle for it. Chartworld is ver good but I am really not able to afford the professional charts. i.E. Croatia: a one year subscription for the 40+ charts - which have to be selected one by one is around € 400.

OK sorry most of it is off topic.[/QUOTE]

[OT]
Croatia you will find as oeSENC chart at o-charts for aprox. 29€ - the same content as the S-63 charts from CW.
You might want to add the one missing Slovenian chart (Koper) as S-63 perhaps.
Or using the Raster set from Imray for the Adria. oeRNC at o-charts.
[/OT]
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Well OK changed to armbian-focal
So... apt-get install opencpn-plugin-logbookkonni

E: Paket opencpn-plugin-logbookkonni kann nicht gefunden werden.

Linux calypso 5.15.31-rockchip64 #trunk.0017 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 24 10:01:27 UTC 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Well, the build and install was OK [solved]

Tags
plug, plugin